Old 16 April 2003, 01:54   #51

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jwalker
There is one thing I learned early on. On a fast boat (and on any boat to some extent) tight, responsive steering is worth its weight in gold.JW.

Exactly the same applies to Fast women!

JF most impressed nicely put together, the last time I saw something that impressive was when "Still Deep One" was pulling away from me. I think that is a superb RIB

Old 11 April 2004, 11:53   #52

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Other sterndrives

I've been looking at other types of sterndrive, anyone have any info or experience with these?

Konrad 520 & 540 www.konradmarine.com These look like they are very heavy duty units, and the duty ratings look like they're on the conservative side of realistic. I got prices from them a while ago but have lost them, they were very expensive though.

Sternpower BX www.jtmperformancemarine.com/ Can't find any info on the net other than this page.

It sounds to me as if the Yanmar 300 engine is just too powerful for the Bravo3 leg to be reliable.

Does anyone know of any websites with info on sternpower drives?

Old 11 April 2004, 14:17   #53
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
You can find Sternpowr at:

www.lancingmarine.com
Old 13 April 2004, 05:23   #54

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
What I cannot understand with regard to leg failures is that if you are using the leg within the manufactures specification, i.e. Hp, boat weight and speed why should it fail from over heating? I can understand it wearing out from old age or corrosion and I can understand it failing from hitting something, but to fail while using it as specified!! The manufactures are taking the p***. These legs cannot be fit for purpose.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:02   #55

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Des have a look at Konrad's page, link above, they specify the duty use for their legs and the specifications make interesting reading.
The recreational rating for their 540 leg is 250 annual hours of 'highly intermittent operation' They also specifically exclude long distance pleasure cruising from the recreational duty rating. Even the commercial rating is only 500 hours annually,again 'highly intermittent', this is probably more than adequate for a leisure boat but not suitable for true commercial use as far as I'm concerned!
If all the other manufacturers use similar definitions of 'recreational' and 'commercial' use, then it's probably not surprising that these legs fail. Interesting that in the litiginous (spelling? word for that matter!) culture of the US Konrad make much more exact claims for their hardware than anyone else does!
Especially in a RIB it's always going to be a trade off weight against power, I think that you just have to accept that the Yanmar 300 is too powerful for the Bravo3 leg for continuous operation.
Having said all that, I do like the look of that Konrad drive, it looks like it could cope with the Yanmar 300 forever! But, !
Old 13 April 2004, 08:05   #56

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
What I cannot understand with regard to leg failures is that if you are using the leg within the manufactures specification, i.e. Hp, boat weight and speed why should it fail from over heating? I can understand it wearing out from old age or corrosion and I can understand it failing from hitting something, but to fail while using it as specified!! The manufactures are taking the p***. These legs cannot be fit for purpose.
I absolutely agree. I've followed this and other threads on the same subject in the past and have to say that I'm staggered that in 2004, these "respected" global corporations are building drives that many users are scared stiff they'll fail each time they venture out of port. If this were the car industry, we would expect 3- 5 year warranties and ever increasing service intervals and reliability (OK, OK, not if you insist on driving a French car or a Discovery!). Why don't we get it with boat engines/drives? They are clearly poorly engineered.

Dave
Old 13 April 2004, 08:30   #57

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by roohairy
.....The recreational rating for their 540 leg is 250 annual hours of 'highly intermittent operation' They also specifically exclude long distance pleasure cruising.....
This is like buying a sofa and being told you can only sit on it for a 15 min periods three times a week !! come on, if this isn't the biggest p*** take I've ever seen I don't know what is.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:47   #58

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
I am on my second boat now fitted with the Yamaha Hydrodrive and , touch wood, have never had any problems with them. However they are only running on 165hp each and I have heard that for extended range stuff on the 240hp you are better firring a shower unit to keep the legs cool.
Out of interest I had a look at the Yamaha warranty book and it states it bases it's "Commercial" warranty on running a maximun of 1 hour in every 12 at full tilt (WoT) and exceeding this will invalidate your warranty........shit
Andy
Old 13 April 2004, 09:24   #59
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Just spoken to Ribcraft about my 7.8 - and they now seem to be supplying Bravo 2 legs rather than the 3.

From all that's being said on here and other 'leg' threads, that suits me!!

Dylan...
Old 13 April 2004, 12:10   #60
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
I think there is a certain irony in that something that is dunked in water needs extra cooling.
What about volvo legs? do they have the same restrictions? do volvo make them? can you buy them without the engine?
Answers on a postcard please.
Nick.