Click Here to Login

Old 23 July 2018, 07:41   #1
TJR

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Kim
Length: under 3m
Which engine for my little rib?

Just picked up this little rib.

Guy I bought it off said it planes easily (inflatable keel) with 42 stone in, with a 6hp.
He also mentioned the guy before him had a 10HP on it and felt it was a little heavy.

The boat is rated to take 10!

Now I’m looking at outboards for the rib...

I’m ideally after buying brand new or used from a dealer. Rather get something with a warranty so I can go out for the day (I’ll pick up an external fuel tank)

6-10HP anywhere in the bracket I’ve looked at 8HP as they seem ideal?
I realise I can only buy four stroke brand new these days too

What would you guys recommend, budget is £1000/£1800

Read good things about Tohatsu?

Mariner, Mercury & honda am I just paying for the stickers? No real performance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D2434EC-4798-4D90-A0A2-F6F2693ABF9B.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	126005  
Old 23 July 2018, 08:02   #2

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave T35ae
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15
Iv got a Mercury 9.9 which am selling because iv gone to a 15 mercy now it's in mint condition done about 80 hours £1000 Ono
Old 23 July 2018, 08:05   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sorry but I don't believe the planing claims... 42stone with a 6hp... we could all downsize our motors if that were true.

If it's rated to a 10hp... and you want to go to sea... and you have the budget for a 10hp... then that's the best size.

If the sticker says 9.8/9.9hp then that's what you get... and performance differences between makes is minimal.

If buying new for me the downsides of the 8hp is they are almost always the same motor as the 10hp just down tuned. So they weigh the same and why would you carry that weight about and not have the extra 25% power?

In truth Tohatsu/Mercury/Mariner/Suzuki are very similar prices... it's usually just Honda and Yamaha that can cost more.

Not that I'm pointing you at it as a buy in particular but have you seen my review on the Mariner 9.9 I bought recently?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mariner...tml#post777731

Edit: I see Gilly's post appeared as I was typing mine. If his is the 4-stroke and a few years old then barring the hood shape it will be near identical to mine and save you about £650 off discount prices.... and he's not that far from you.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:37   #4
TJR

Plenty of food for thought there, I agree I doubt it would of got on the plane, after finding two holes in my rib aswell as a stick valve as I know fen was helping me with. I’ve got a base to work from now. Maybe a 9.9 is something to consider, again he mentioned the previous owner before him used a 10 and it was a little heavy for the boat, so when I patched up the boat yesterday I added some more glue around the transom.

I was only leaning towards an 8HP as I thought it would be safer running that than a 10 based on previous owners comments, he only used a 6 keeping in mind he didn’t mention two holes and claimed it planed with 42 stone on, I’m ignoring most of his guidance from here on in and looking to you guys 😂.

In the main it’s for use around bays and a little open water around Wales.

This is mine and the girlfriends first little boat, I’ve grown up around speedboats etc
Ribs I’m going in a little blind.

We kinda agreed after the bad experience with a second hand rib that a brand new engine is the way to go, as if this rib lasts us a few months we would upgrade or even buy a brand new rib.

The outboard is something we want to future proof ourselves with and keep when we go for another rib. Which will be the same size
Old 23 July 2018, 08:49   #5

Well it is true buying a brand new outboard and knowing you've looked after it from new is the only way to be 100% sure they have never been abused... but having said that in general leisure sibber's outboards often have low use and are cared for so I'd not rule a used one out.

I know you have only just bought this boat but if you are worried that its condition isn't good enough to take the rated 10hp then I'd not take it to sea at all and sell straight on.

And I know "logic" can be different for different folks but if you were willing to spend up to £1800 on a new 10hp why not buy a brand new Honwave 3.2m inflatable for £870 https://www.elyboatchandlers.com/hon...honda-outboard and perhaps Gilly would shave a bit off his OB and you'd be at your £1800 with a modern engine and a boat that won't deflate under you.

Just a thought?
Old 23 July 2018, 08:57   #6

BTW...

>>>previous owner before him used a 10 and it was a little heavy for the boat

As mentioned earlier 8hp and 10hp weigh the same in newer 4-strokes so not an issue.

And... I have no axe to grind either way re Gilly's engine in particular so if you fancied another make or really wanted to have a dealer sale for the warranty then I still reckon you'd be able to make the £1800 budget for Honwave plus used engine.
Old 23 July 2018, 12:42   #7
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
BTW...

>>>previous owner before him used a 10 and it was a little heavy for the boat

As mentioned earlier 8hp and 10hp weigh the same in newer 4-strokes so not an issue.

And... I have no axe to grind either way re Gilly's engine in particular so if you fancied another make or really wanted to have a dealer sale for the warranty then I still reckon you'd be able to make the £1800 budget for Honwave plus used engine.

Exactly, I can’t really trust much the seller said as he also claimed it planes with 3 heavy men in, I think I’m gunna go for a 10 and see how she handles at least then I’m future proofing myself
Old 23 July 2018, 12:58   #8

If you end up buying new (or used actually) do investigate the features of each make which together with the price and proximity of nearest dealer can all be added into the decision mix.

Just as one example the current Tohatsu 9.8 is the same basic powerhead and leg as the Mariner 9.9 (I think Tohatsu make it and supply to Mariner) with cosmetically a different cowling. The Tohatsu is often slightly cheaper.

There are other differences though such as the Tohatsu not having the Mariner's clever "auto-tilt/trim" mechanism or the Mariners gearchange incorporated into the throttle.

Then taking Mercury that is exactly the same outboard as the Mariner with a different colour/logo cowling.

Suzuki 9.9 has a rather odd (to me) gearchange that is a second twistgrip section forward of the throttle twistgrip section. As far as I can see if you are perhaps solo or wanting to sit well forward to balance the boat then you can't hold onto the very end of the twistgrip as I often do as you would just be holding the gearchange section.
Old 23 July 2018, 16:40   #9
TJR

Exactly mate, it will only be and my Mrs in the boat and we will both have to sit forward, so I’ll also need the tiller extension I’m sure, which would stop me being able to use certain engines too surely? As id be changing gear and controlling the throttle?
Old 23 July 2018, 18:46   #10

It's quite a short SIB so if you can get the fuel tank at least midships or a bit forward of that and your partner in about the same position you may well find you can sit a comfortable reach to the tiller.

I think the Suzuki is the only one that wouldn't work with a tiller extension... the rest have gear change levers that wouldn't interfere with it and the Mercury/Mariner gears on throttle arrangement works fine with an extension.

Tags
rib