Old 03 September 2012, 22:04   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Nobody's mentioned Merc/Mariner.

Not a bad motor and good value. More grunt than the Honda & Soozook.
Old 03 September 2012, 22:10   #22

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS

As others have said, OUCH! Can't say that has had a positive effect on Evinrude's chances of getting my business.
To be fair It would appear an isolated fault rather than a common known problem with these models.. It happens. Obviously if BRP fail to resolve the problems to the owners satisfaction under warranty, then that in itself would be more worrying for future potential buyers.

I think they will stand up to the mark and get it sorted. Let's wait and see!
Old 03 September 2012, 22:10   #23
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Nobody's mentioned Merc/Mariner.

Not a bad motor and good value. More grunt than the Honda & Soozook.
Seems you just did. My perception is that they tend to be older technology, less 'green', even less reliable than the Japanese motors. Is that unfair?
Old 03 September 2012, 22:12   #24

Based on what?
Old 03 September 2012, 22:13   #25
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
To be fair It would appear an isolated fault rather than a common known problem with these models.. It happens. Obviously if BRP fail to resolve the problems to the owners satisfaction under warranty, then that in itself would be more worrying for future potential buyers.

I think they will stand up to the mark and get it sorted. Let's wait and see!
Fair points, well made.

Still intrigued by the lack of pricing available online though.
Old 03 September 2012, 22:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Fair points, well made.

Southampton Boat Show in 2 weeks. Go there and talk to the dealers on the stalls and tell them you're genuinely in the market for a new motor. After the summer we've had this year, they'll be keen to move some stock.
Old 03 September 2012, 22:17   #27
NSS

Quote:
Based on what?
Nothing in particular. As I said, just a perception. My question was whether that perception is unfair?
Old 03 September 2012, 22:20   #28
NSS

Quote:
Southampton Boat Show in 2 weeks. Go there and talk to the dealers on the stalls and tell them you're genuinely in the market for a new motor. After the summer we've had this year, they'll be keen to move some stock.
Already got my tickets, and intending to do just that, but any dealer/salesman is going to sing the praises of their product. I'm just trying to get the user viewpoint before I waste a load of time talking to people about motors I'd perhaps be wise to steer clear of.
Old 03 September 2012, 22:28   #29

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS

Fair points, well made.

I think that's pretty wise all things considered. They are all battling against each other and it's a tough industry right now.

I was chatting with our supplier for new motors and he said they are killed by the mail order options out there offering them at almost cost price just to get the deal. The money is all in the servicing so it's hard to see where these suppliers make it worthwhile, as chances are they won't go back for a service if the distance is restrictive.

"POA" pricing gives them at least one chance (when you enquires) to seal the deal.
Old 03 September 2012, 22:35   #30
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I think that's pretty wise all things considered. They are all battling against each other and it's a tough industry right now.

I was chatting with our supplier for new motors and he said they are killed by the mail order options out there offering them at almost cost price just to get the deal. The money is all in the servicing so it's hard to see where these suppliers make it worthwhile, as chances are they won't go back for a service if the distance is restrictive.

"POA" pricing gives them at least one chance (when you enquires) to seal the deal.
But even the 'mail order/online retailers don't give prices for Evinrudes. Why should they treat them any differently from the other manufacturers' offerings?
Old 03 September 2012, 23:22   #31

The e-tecs need to be set-up using the official dealers' software/hardware when first installed, so that probably takes the mail order retailers out of the game.

You'll get a price on the phone though.
Old 04 September 2012, 06:11   #32

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS

Seems you just did. My perception is that they tend to be older technology, less 'green', even less reliable than the Japanese motors. Is that unfair?
Disagree. More reliable IMHO than etec. I know 5 etec owners, all have had significant faults. Would steer clear personally. Optis are tried and tested and no worse fuel wise than an etec. Best 2 stroke IMHO. I'd buy a sooz if I wanted a 4 stroke. Know a few with them, no issues. But I prefer the Punch of a 2 stroke.
Old 04 September 2012, 06:30   #33
NSS

Quote:
The e-tecs need to be set-up using the official dealers' software/hardware when first installed, so that probably takes the mail order retailers out of the game.

You'll get a price on the phone though.
Okay, I didn't realise that.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:21   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

I like the idea of the ETEC but since working at COS for the last few years I never seen one with high hours but I have seen lots of yams and honda's with 3,000+ hours. They also now dont have a UK office.

re Mercury/mariner. These engines are good but if reliability is your number 1 factor then I would still go Yam (proven over many many years) or Honda with the 6 year warranty which is the longest of all the makes.
Also Yam and Honda have are by far the preferred choice of the commercial guys and these are the people who put the most hours on the engines and need the best economy. Interestingly Yam sell direct to these companies where as Honda still go through dealers so if you like yams and are a company then there are v good deals be had.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL

Disagree. More reliable IMHO than etec. I know 5 etec owners, all have had significant faults. Would steer clear personally. Optis are tried and tested and no worse fuel wise than an etec. Best 2 stroke IMHO. I'd buy a sooz if I wanted a 4 stroke. Know a few with them, no issues. But I prefer the Punch of a 2 stroke.
You can't get an Opti in 50/60hp though.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:28   #36
NSS

My use will be leisure only, and I suspect I'd be unlikely to do more than 60 - 80 hours per annum.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:37   #37
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Must admit I have been very impressed with my current Suzuki DF25. Very quiet and very economical, but have done less than 20 hours on it so barely run in.

Out of interest, have the etecs you mention done significant hours before developing faults? My use will be relatively light.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:41   #38

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
My 50hp 2 stroke Merc Brown band is approx 28 yrs.old I know it's old technology and not very "Green" I know, but I have owned it for the last Twenty odd years and I can say with hand on heart it's never let me down. I have seen guy's under Yam covers with spanners in hand, scratching there heads and muttering "Rhubarb Rhubarb" My Brother has had a 60hp. Yam and it turned out to be a bag of dog's deposit. He now has a Mariner 45 2 stroke approx same age as my Merc, both engines utterly reliable. Just relating my experiences
Old 04 September 2012, 07:44   #39
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
My 50hp 2 stroke Merc Brown band is approx 28 yrs.old I know it's old technology and not very "Green" I know, but I have owned it for the last Twenty odd years and I can say with hand on heart it's never let me down. I have seen guy's under Yam covers with spanners in hand, scratching there heads and muttering "Rhubarb Rhubarb" My Brother has had a 60hp. Yam and it turned out to be a bag of dog's deposit. He now has a Mariner 45 2 stroke approx same age as my Merc, both engines utterly reliable. Just relating my experiences
That old saying, "they (probably) don't make them like they used to" springs to mind
Old 04 September 2012, 08:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
That old saying, "they (probably) don't make them like they used to" springs to mind
Fortunately.