Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 October 2005, 17:58   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Chris you are a lovely guy, but you are missing the point. To say that your boat will be your slowest vehicle you have is crazy! It could be the scariest and the most dangerous. 70mph on the water is the equivalent of 130mph on an unmade road in the dark. You have no sea experience, it's not the Thames out there. I've been using boats on the sea for over 30 years and it scares me. Four people died in our estuary this year in fast boats. It's not about strapping big engines on our boats and going like hell! There is so much more to it. Go steady mate and you'll have the best fun, but leave the boyracer mentality onshore.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2005, 03:07   #22
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Chris you are a lovely guy, but you are missing the point. To say that your boat will be your slowest vehicle you have is crazy! It could be the scariest and the most dangerous. 70mph on the water is the equivalent of 130mph on an unmade road in the dark. You have no sea experience, it's not the Thames out there. I've been using boats on the sea for over 30 years and it scares me. Four people died in our estuary this year in fast boats. It's not about strapping big engines on our boats and going like hell! There is so much more to it. Go steady mate and you'll have the best fun, but leave the boyracer mentality onshore.
thanks for the comments and they are all good points, my response would be as follows...

i agree when the sea is rough then you have to tone it back to suit the conditions and that is when the real fun starts and i am really looking forward to it.

but when the sea is calm and flatish then it is nice to have a turn of speed and to be honest 45 odd mph doesnt cut it for me. (which is what a picton 8.5 with a 225 was giving at 19 galls per hour)

but also it is nice to have some reserve when having fun on the sea and larger hp engine can deliver performance with less strain and hopefully perhaps reduced economy.

i also very much respect the sea and it scares me sometimes and that is the only way to be i think and yes i have a lot to learn, probably always will have!!

if i want high speed thrills i would go for the 1000cc road bike over a boat any day.

to me when the sea is rough is it like going off roading which i love so that will be cool and you have to temper the speed when off roading as well

however i want a boat with enough umph when i need it, i have always been a bit of a power, cc, hp speed freak and i probably wont change.

if i am going to be pouring 19 galls per hour down the back end i would rather be doingit at 60+ in a vipermax than 44+ in a picton cobra (sorry hard but the one we went out in was not quick enough, even my two year old said "faster daddy", it was very calm and a very big boat and rode the sea very very well which probably give the impression of less speed and fuss)

so i will take care and take any advice given on how to drive the boat etc in various conditions but i hear hp calling and will possibly go down the route of an etec 200 i suspect as is the same weight as an opti 150, love the 175 suz, i am going to call brugge marine and get their advice too.

i love optis and if one is at the right pice then i might go opti still but they are older technology now and it might be timly to go for one of the newer engines. Some folks say wait till they have been out for a few years to prove themselves but frankly i am not fussed with that. i am managing to get all the engines at similar prices (within 300) with the etec 200 coming out most expensive at a 1k more so i am trying to balance price with hp with technology

went out for a blast yesterday as it was a f3-6 for a bit of fun, we took it easy as had ethan in the boat and he loved it. i wont lay the boat up for the winter as if it is not tooo cold then will be out there for a blast, yesterday was grate, just had shorts on which is amazing for the end of october

take care mate
__________________

__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2005, 03:17   #23
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i must admit that the etec 200 is looking more and more favorable, the speed angle does not worry me as this will be my slowest vehicle so i think the 200 will give me the reserve i am looking for

that is a fab picture, how come it has a 225 as they are only rated to 200 normally?
the owner claims it going at 63kn on flat water!
__________________
Seaharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 08:34   #24
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
63 knts is going some, would love to know how stable it is at those speeds! do you have his details or email so i could message with him.....cheers
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 10:29   #25
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 885
try a yam 250 HPDI . Find this a remarkable engine in all respects although I was sceptical at first. Waht asort of price are you being quoted for an etec 250?

Jonathan
__________________
eupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 12:22   #26
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
it is only rated upto 200hp so cant really stretch to 250, etec 200 for 7600 pls vat
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 14:55   #27
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Zierikzee, NL
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
it is only rated upto 200hp so cant really stretch to 250, etec 200 for 7600 pls vat
An E-Tec 225HO is 247hp (see the yellow Vipermax 6.5 above) so shouldn't 250hp be fine a well?
__________________
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 16:56   #28
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio
An E-Tec 225HO is 247hp (see the yellow Vipermax 6.5 above) so shouldn't 250hp be fine a well?
the vipermax 6.5 is ce plated to take upto 200 hp, i will ask mike and Kris about going over 200hp. might be if i have extra knees put in it can go higher in hp, will ask mike
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 02:55   #29
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 860
Quote:
the vipermax 6.5 is ce plated to take upto 200 hp, i will ask mike and Kris about going over 200hp. might be if i have extra knees put in it can go higher in hp, will ask mike
No problem to have 225 or 250 if you thinking about weight, extra knees will solve the problem but there is a risk that boat will be unstable depending on what equipment you will have and how they are placed in boat.
We have a old Osprey Seaharrier from 1990 that is 6,4m long and 2m wide and it has a 250 VMAX HPDI, boat is doing 73 knots and is a little bit dangerous

More info on that boat here
__________________
www.grandrib.se
Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 03:04   #30
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov
No problem to have 225 or 250 if you thinking about weight, extra knees will solve the problem but there is a risk that boat will be unstable depending on what equipment you will have and how they are placed in boat.
We have a old Osprey Seaharrier from 1990 that is 6,4m long and 2m wide and it has a 250 VMAX HPDI, boat is doing 73 knots and is a little bit dangerous

More info on that boat here
ideally i want the boat to be nice and stable at speed and i am very happy to stick to 200 max, Mike warned me that the guys over in sweden and denmark are crazy guys and it is amazing what they do with their boats .

if i go for an etec on that boat any idea what sort of speed it will return? i am suspecting around the 55knts mark, i am looking at the new engines coming out that are very light.
thanks
__________________

__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.