Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 24 March 2009, 15:25   #1

Town: Deventer
Boat name: none
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury F20M
What to do after 20 running ours(suzuki df5-6)

Hello!

Winter is over here in the Netherlands, and I hope to make my first sib cruise in about a month. I bought my suzuki df5 new last year. and it been in storage about 6 month. Last sunday i fired him up en he started really fast!

When I look in the service manual I see that it needs his first service after 20 ours. but im thinking what to do:

1. I do it myself, but dont get a stamp for service in the service booklet. I know that when I do it that the engine is handled with care. Im technical, so I got the skills. but I also think i lose the waranty.

2. I bring it to a suzuki dealer, and pay a high price for maybe half work. Im afraid they dont be carefull with it get it back with less paint on the outside ore mechanical issues. But I will get a stamp in the servicebooklet.

I'm really careful with my expensive engine, and want to keep it in nice condition!

Old 24 March 2009, 15:34   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Did my own (Yamaha, after 10 hrs.) Not all that much to do.

Generally, the first service includes changing oil (both crankcase for a 4-stroke, and gearcase oil), oil filter, perhaps changing spark plugs (you should at least take a look at them and see if any of them look radically different than the others), and perhaps fuel filters.

Your owners manual should have a list of exactly what is required. Take a look and see if you can handle all the steps they require.

Check with your dealer as far as maintaining the warranty on your engine: In the US, as long as you can provide proof of purchase of the materials (oil and filter receipts, etc) the warranty will be maintained. Don't know about how that would be applied in your location.

jky
Old 24 March 2009, 15:43   #3

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
I also have a new DF5 on a SIB but it will be going back to the dealer for its first service and all the subsequent services. In the UK, there's a 5 year warranty...I'm not sure whether it depends on a franchised dealer servicing the engine for this to be honoured but it won't make any difference to me. They have the tools, presumably the approved oils and parts...if anything goes wrong down the road, there's only one body of people that will have touched it - and they're Suzuki authorised and trained
Old 24 March 2009, 16:03   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Very nice set up & good to hear of people taking pride in thier boats. I have a 2.5hp Suzuki that I purchased a year ago. While it says you should have it serviced by a Suzuki dealer I had mine done by a local place that I trust (they also do my 2 year old Yamaha 50) .

I have been told that as long as you use genuine parts you should be OK with the warranty - BUT my feeling is that both the Yamaha & Suzuki are made well enough that I would be surprised if I needed to make a warranty claim . If I do the amount I will have saved by not paying dealer prices & travelling to them & back will pay for any claim ( on the 2.5 hp it would probably buy a new engine ! ) .

Mine also sits for months and starts fine- although I use it once or twice over the winter & it lives in a nice warm dry garage so dont ' winterise' it
Old 25 March 2009, 22:34   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I would have thought that under EU law you don't need to take it to a main dealer for a service to keep the warrenty valid. You don't have to with a car.
Old 26 March 2009, 15:27   #6

Town: Deventer
Boat name: none
Make: Mercury
Engine: Mercury F20M
I contacted the suzuki importer of the netherlands, they told me that mainenace have to be done by a suzuki dealer, or the waranty will void.

bummer...
Old 27 March 2009, 13:44   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaerox View Post
I contacted the suzuki importer of the netherlands, they told me that mainenace have to be done by a suzuki dealer, or the waranty will void.

bummer...
Just because THEY told you that doesn't make it legal. I honestly don't know if the ruling on cars applies to outboards though.