Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well done Alt.
Apology from me though. When you mentioned the tacho a few days ago it just didn't come to mind about having to set it initially. So Richard can have my kiss for his suggestion.

...If a job's worth doing.....
Doing, or reading about how to do it if one had the practical experience? In which chapter did you find 'change all the filters'?
Old 30 March 2007, 15:13   #42

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
In fairness Alt you were lurching about from one ridiculous theory to another. You were lucky that it turned out to be something trivial.If it had been something more serious, a relatively cheap professional diagnosis may have stopped you from changing practically every ancillary component on the thing. If you employ the services of a professional and listen to what he has to say, you learn from someone that knows what they're talking about. Let's hope that you don't get a serious problem with the boat, as your not having a VP agent in the area and your lack of knowledge are going to combine to leave you up a creek sunshine...
On the contrary. Alt is plainly able and has the confidence to tackle jobs he hasn't done before. He has had his boat little longer than a week and during this time he has learned pretty much how to service his engine. He now knows where the various components are and he'll be much better equipped to fault find and solve problems if he's in a position of need when on or off the water. He reasonably considered various options for the fault and he was able to eliminate them.

There is also the very real satisfaction and pleasure of successfully working on a practical project and this shouldn't be underestimated.

As far a RIBNET goes, it is an excellent site and has a number of benefits, different ones interest different folk. Threads like this are a good resource for information for others, presently or in the future, and I bear this in mind when posting and make sure I include words which could be key words when searching. As an illustration, lets say a new member comes along looking for information on a Volvo engine and he/she does a search. In this thread can be found references to a host of info, to tappets, rocker clearance, valve clearance, valve timing, fuel filters, tacho setting, maximum revs, throttle cable problems, propellors and, from you, the information that Volvo duoprops use different pitch props on front and rear of the set and also your findings about symtoms of a blocked fuel filter. My experience of this symtom being initially a loss of top speed just enhances the thread because it indicates that clear cut conclusions are not usually possible. There is much more info in the thread but I think I've made my point.

Quote:
And, if someone in the future offers you friendly advice, take it in the manner in which it was given.
I'm puzzled by your statement. Alt was always gracious.

Quote:
Doing, or reading about how to do it if one had the practical experience? In which chapter did you find 'change all the filters'?
Now you're being an arse. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before.
Old 30 March 2007, 16:49   #43

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Walker, your boring monologue speaks volumes about you. In future I'll keep quiet and leave it to the experts like yourself. Good Bye.
Old 30 March 2007, 17:45   #44

Quote:
In future I'll keep quiet and leave it to the experts like yourself. Good Bye.
That's cool.
Old 30 March 2007, 20:09   #45
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Quote:
In fairness Alt you were lurching about from one ridiculous theory to another. You were lucky that it turned out to be something trivial.If it had been something more serious, a relatively cheap professional diagnosis may have stopped you from changing practically every ancillary component on the thing. If you employ the services of a professional and listen to what he has to say, you learn from someone that knows what they're talking about. Let's hope that you don't get a serious problem with the boat, as your not having a VP agent in the area and your lack of knowledge are going to combine to leave you up a creek sunshine. And, if someone in the future offers you friendly advice, take it in the manner in which it was given.

I did take friendly advise, from jwalker and the likes. And I was grateful.

You, however, gave me absolutily no advise and suggested that I spend money bringing it to a 'professional'. Funny how the engine has a full service history from a Volvo agent, yet those 'professionals' didn't seem to notice the engine 'idling' at 400RPM.

Anyhow, to the rest of you guys, I spent the day looking about the boat. I traced most of the wiring loom (Engine and accessories) and labelled everything for future reference. Also the fuses were all over the boat so I took note of every one that I came across, hopefully will install a fuse board over the coming weeks. Don't worry, Mollers, my father is a 'professional' and he will hold my hand during every step
Old 30 March 2007, 20:37   #46
alt

While we were originally on the topic of propellers...

Do I need a special tool for removing the Duoprops?

See the ad here: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F128706/

I have the spanner piece with the long bar, but I don't have the circular piece in the middle. Obviously I have a full tool kit, spanners, sockets etc. etc.
Old 30 March 2007, 22:52   #47

I certainly need special tools but my props fit differently to yours so I'm not sure exactly what you need. Pete and Iain will know.
Old 02 April 2007, 12:11   #48

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
I don't have duo props (my props are on shafts) ,however a pal does have this set up, we just took the props of to change his anode..so it went like this;
loosen large nut in the center of the cone it is captive so loosen fully you won't be able to remove it. Put a large screwdriver in the slots on the cone and screw off, remove first prop, then with a large pair of molegrips or similar screw off the large bolt/cone holding the second prop on. and weyhey you've cracked it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
While we were originally on the topic of propellers...

Do I need a special tool for removing the Duoprops?

See the ad here: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F128706/

I have the spanner piece with the long bar, but I don't have the circular piece in the middle. Obviously I have a full tool kit, spanners, sockets etc. etc.
Old 02 April 2007, 20:45   #49
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
I don't have duo props (my props are on shafts) ,however a pal does have this set up, we just took the props of to change his anode..so it went like this;
loosen large nut in the center of the cone it is captive so loosen fully you won't be able to remove it. Put a large screwdriver in the slots on the cone and screw off, remove first prop, then with a large pair of molegrips or similar screw off the large bolt/cone holding the second prop on. and weyhey you've cracked it..

Hey, thanks for that. I have the users manual but just wasn't sure if there was a 'special' tool, or if normal tools would do. I'm awaiting my new props, I have bought my gearoil and anodes for the upcoming season.

Oh and thanks for the 'weyhey' ... I learned something, solved a problem and it didn't cost a dime. Made me feel all manly lol
Old 11 April 2007, 10:13   #50
alt

For anyone in the same situation as me....
Removing props:

Loosen nut inside cone
Loosen cone with screwdriver (2 slots to shove a screwdriver or the likes in)
Pull off first prop
There is a big 'nut' holding in the 2nd prop. You *should* use the 'special tool' that Volvo suply (Which I don't have), however I did fine with molegrips
When that is loose, pull off 2nd prop

All done in 5mins, thanks fo rthe advise guys.

Also, found it the easiest leg and least messy ever to change the gearoil. No filling from the bottom!! Just drain from the bottom, tighten screw and fill frop the top.

Also, the anodes were very easy to change.
Old 11 April 2007, 12:00   #51

Town: Braintree, Essex
Boat name: Pelagial
Make: Ribcraft Offshore
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Evinrude Ficht
MMSI: ???
Volvo Duopr0ps

I had the same problem with a KAD32 and Ribcraft 6.8m Offshore. My local Volvo Penta dealer had trial props and we settled on an A^. It will be different for you though, and the only way to find the correct one is to try some I am afraid.
Old 11 April 2007, 13:35   #52
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwyatt View Post
I had the same problem with a KAD32 and Ribcraft 6.8m Offshore. My local Volvo Penta dealer had trial props and we settled on an A^. It will be different for you though, and the only way to find the correct one is to try some I am afraid.

I'm happy with my props now! With just me, and a half tank of fuel the will rev to 4000RPM (Don't worry I don't go there, only did it to test). Generally ill have a full tank and 3-5 crew, so with my current setup i'm not stressing the engine.

I *could* have gone for A6 to get a bit of extra speed, but i'd prefer to lose the few knots and know that my engine isint under strain. Happy days!