Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well,you can't beat experience.
Joking aside, it could be one of several things. I'd be inclined to think not filters but, by giving it a service that's due anyway, you'll hopefully get there by a process of elimination.
Old 26 March 2007, 20:08   #23
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Could valve timing have anything to do with it? Nearly 400 hours on the engine and I can't see 'valve timing' on any of the service receipts?
Old 26 March 2007, 22:19   #24

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Could valve timing have anything to do with it? Nearly 400 hours on the engine and I can't see 'valve timing' on any of the service receipts?
Alt, valve timing is not a service procedure. It is set as the engine is built and it is usually non-adjustable anyway. However, setting the rocker clearances is a service prodedure and it effects the valve timing. This is also commonly known as setting the tappets. This title is a hangover from the days of sidevalve engines. The topic was covered in your other thread. If it hasn't been done, it's well overdue and it is important.
Old 26 March 2007, 22:27   #25
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Alt, valve timing is not a service procedure. It is set as the engine is built and it is usually non-adjustable anyway. However, setting the rocker clearances is a service prodedure and it effects the valve timing. This is also commonly known as setting the tappets. This title is a hangover from the days of sidevalve engines. The topic was covered in your other thread. If it hasn't been done, it's well overdue and it is important.

j - Half asleep here sorry. I meant valve clearance. Another thing to get checked out on the weekend. Not going to try it myself - it's times like this that mechanic friends become useful
Old 29 March 2007, 20:51   #26
alt

Hi guys,
Serviced the engine today. Engine oil, oil filter, crank breather, air filter, coolant, fuel filter, bled the injectors etc (Yet to do gearoil/anodes) and unfortunately, no change in RPM.

She stops at 3000RPM. I tried WOT in neutral, she storms to 3000RPM and then just stops dead. Same when under load, on the plane in less than 3-5seconds, and just stops at 3000RPM.

Before thinking that the turbo has gone, could the engine possibly be limited? The reason I ask is because, as I said before the engine storms to 3000RPM and then just stops, doesn't even try to go further. I would think that even if the turbo WAS gone, the rev's would try and rise (When not under load - in neutral)

Another thing that got me thinking, could the tachometer be lying to me? I'm no diesel expert but when I open to WOT, the engine sounds like it's roaring away. Roaring to the extent that thinking of adding another 900RPM to that roar i'd be expecting a cylinder to pop out of the block.

Suggestions people!
Old 29 March 2007, 22:03   #27

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Check the back of the tacho and see if it has either a rotary switch or dip switches, if it has make a note of the present setting, then with the engine ticking over change the settings to get the tacho giving a higher reading.
Open the engine up and check that the tacho goes to more than 3000rpm if it stops at 3K then the tacho is sticking. If it goes above then it should be ok.
Also it is worth checking that the rotary switch or dip switches are set correctly for your engine.
Richard
Old 29 March 2007, 22:20   #28
alt

rick - Thank's for that, will check first thing in the morning. The tachometer I have is Part number (Volvo) 873992

See here for an eBay one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...spagenameZWD1V
Old 29 March 2007, 22:27   #29

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Is it an EDC engine, my first thought was blocked fuel filter (does it have a pre filter, Racor) if not, the engine, if EDC has various limiters affecting revs if something goes tits up.

Incedently,if your boat is getting on the plane with enthusiasim shall we say, the prop pitch is, fine look elsewhere.

Quote:
rick - Thank's for that, will check first thing in the morning. The tachometer I have is Part number (Volvo) 873992

See here for an eBay one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...spagenameZWD1V
Old 29 March 2007, 22:42   #30

Alt, that's kinda good and bad news. Here is the setting procedure for your tacho. In the code table, you can see that on some 32s there must be an alternator driven sensor and on other 32s its inductive. You will need to find out which yours is. Depending on this, your code will be either 8 or 17.

In the setting procedure, you can see that at stage 3 you will be able to read the previously set code. Hope that it's incorrect.

Apologies for the elongated stage one, it skidded in the scanner each time I tried it.

Edit; I see the text is not very clear for stage one. It says,"Disconnect from system voltage, press in pin B."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo Tacho codetable x800.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	25860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo setting code x800.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	25861  
Old 29 March 2007, 22:56   #31

The only reference I can find to limiting the revs, if the EDC finds a fault, will limit the engine to 1000rpm. This will also show as a diagnostic error on your display with the wee buttons. However, depending on which system you've got, if you switch off the ignition the error code will be erased from the EDC memory. It's worth noting this for future because should you get an error while under way, it's all too easy to switch off the engine and accidentally cancel the code. It seems a daft feature to me.

I would be surprised though if there wasn't a maximum rev limiter built into the EDC system.
Old 30 March 2007, 07:41   #32

In my opinion all this 'fiddling' about with second hand info gleaned from Ribnet is costing you time and money. If I were you, I'd get the thing to a Volvo Penta agent, get it diagnosed and sorted. You could mess about with this, that and the other for weeks and then pay more money to have the 'fiddling' put right.
Old 30 March 2007, 07:42   #33
alt

Morning guys, fingers crossed it's the wrong setting, i'm off to give it a try. How the heck do I know if the engine is picking up the RPM from inductive or from the alternator?! I guess i'll just try every setting and see what happens. Watch this space!
Old 30 March 2007, 08:23   #34

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
KAD 32 is not EDC, as far as i know - mine was'nt.

I had a prob, when new, that after a while the revs started to drop, and went through all the panic things - turned out the cable to the throttle nut was loose, and was working is way 'out' - so was not getting full revs - easy as that.
Way to check is get someone else to steer, open the engine box up, and give the throttle linkage a tug -
Is the compressor going off when motoring?
Any black - unburnt diesel in the wake, as you are going along?
if you have a pre filter - racor, whatever - did you change that?
Did you ask the prev owner what his cruising revs were, and make sure he has not sold it with the wrong props on ? if he had dinged the originals, there is nothing to say he did not pick up the 1st cheapest set to bung on to sell it, and might be the wrong ones ?

Pete
Old 30 March 2007, 08:44   #35
alt

Problem Solved!

I am so relieved! Went to the boat there, and she was idling at 400RPM as is

I changed from setting 17 (Inductive) to setting 8 (Alternator), fired her up and she was idling at 725RPM. I let the engine warm up for a few minutes, varying the Revs. Just to check, when she was warm I opened to WOT in neutral. Straight up to 4100RPM!

Guys, I owe ye all, ye are total lifesavers. I was worrying about turbo's, fuel pumps etc. when it was such a simple thing as pressing a friggin button!

jwalker & rickuk3 - If I was a girl i'd kiss ye... Now where who should I send the keg of Guiness to?!

Moral of the story - When there is a problem, check the basic stuff before worrying about the expensive stuff!!
Old 30 March 2007, 08:46   #36
alt

In fairness the boat hadn't been out of the water in over 12 months (He had nowhere to dry dock her, and no trailer). I now think that the propellers on her are the proper ones, and we have a written aggreement that both him and I will pay 50% each for new props (He keeps emailing me asking which ones to order - so im guessing he's genuine!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafariskye View Post
KAD 32 is not EDC, as far as i know - mine was'nt.

I had a prob, when new, that after a while the revs started to drop, and went through all the panic things - turned out the cable to the throttle nut was loose, and was working is way 'out' - so was not getting full revs - easy as that.
Way to check is get someone else to steer, open the engine box up, and give the throttle linkage a tug -
Is the compressor going off when motoring?
Any black - unburnt diesel in the wake, as you are going along?
if you have a pre filter - racor, whatever - did you change that?
Did you ask the prev owner what his cruising revs were, and make sure he has not sold it with the wrong props on ? if he had dinged the originals, there is nothing to say he did not pick up the 1st cheapest set to bung on to sell it, and might be the wrong ones ?

Pete
Old 30 March 2007, 09:06   #37

Town: Leighton Buzzard
glad you got it sorted
Old 30 March 2007, 11:17   #38

Well done Alt.
Apology from me though. When you mentioned the tacho a few days ago it just didn't come to mind about having to set it initially. So Richard can have my kiss for his suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
In my opinion all this 'fiddling' about with second hand info gleaned from Ribnet is costing you time and money. If I were you, I'd get the thing to a Volvo Penta agent, get it diagnosed and sorted. You could mess about with this, that and the other for weeks and then pay more money to have the 'fiddling' put right.
...If a job's worth doing.....
Old 30 March 2007, 12:54   #39
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
In fairness Mollers, had I of gone with your advise above:

1) I'd have had to pay someone
2) There are no Volvo mechanic's in my area
3) I wouldn't have learned anything

I feel good being able to fix a problem myself and I have learned something. Big up to the RIB.net guys!
Old 30 March 2007, 14:13   #40

Quote:
In fairness Mollers, had I of gone with your advise above:

1) I'd have had to pay someone
2) There are no Volvo mechanic's in my area
3) I wouldn't have learned anything

I feel good being able to fix a problem myself and I have learned something. Big up to the RIB.net guys!
In fairness Alt you were lurching about from one ridiculous theory to another. You were lucky that it turned out to be something trivial.If it had been something more serious, a relatively cheap professional diagnosis may have stopped you from changing practically every ancillary component on the thing. If you employ the services of a professional and listen to what he has to say, you learn from someone that knows what they're talking about. Let's hope that you don't get a serious problem with the boat, as your not having a VP agent in the area and your lack of knowledge are going to combine to leave you up a creek sunshine. And, if someone in the future offers you friendly advice, take it in the manner in which it was given.