Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 November 2009, 17:40   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 91
What mercury rev counter do i need?

Hi, I have just bought a 1997 Avon Rib with a 1997 Mercury 90 on it, I would like to add a mercury rev counter as it doesn't have one, does this wire into the control box on the side of the consol? and is there any type of mercury gauge I require?

cheers martin
__________________

__________________
martin33100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 04:32   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
If you want to go "proper Merc" there should be a short lead with a plug dangling out your control box, It will plug straight in there.

No idea what your electrical sklillsd are like, but plumbing in any old (non digital) Tacho should be feasible. (I'm using a Suzi tacho on My merc)
__________________

__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 07:32   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
If you want to go "proper Merc" there should be a short lead with a plug dangling out your control box, It will plug straight in there.

No idea what your electrical sklillsd are like, but plumbing in any old (non digital) Tacho should be feasible. (I'm using a Suzi tacho on My merc)
My electrical skills should be ok for this, I work on trains every day
__________________
martin33100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 07:42   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
In that case.....

You really only need 3 wires, +, - & Signal. (and a lamp supply if you want to see it in the dark!)

The tacho signal wire for the Merc should be Grey, the +/- are the usual red / black, but there may be a trace colour on the + as it's switched. If there's no gray, break into the controls, it will be one that goes straight from the engine loom to the short plug loom. Can trace it back to the rectifier in the engine to be sure)

For reference (in case you get someone ellse's tacho) colours are: Yam - Green Suz, Yellow. I think OMC & Honda use Gray too.


Any non digital gauge should work, you may need to set the switch on the back to the right number of poles. it's pretty obvious when its wrong (e.g. idling at 400 / 1500 RPM or flat out at 3.5K or off the scale)


The tacho basically counts alternator pulses, most have two or three positions for different # pole variants.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 17:57   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
In that case.....

You really only need 3 wires, +, - & Signal. (and a lamp supply if you want to see it in the dark!)

The tacho signal wire for the Merc should be Grey, the +/- are the usual red / black, but there may be a trace colour on the + as it's switched. If there's no gray, break into the controls, it will be one that goes straight from the engine loom to the short plug loom. Can trace it back to the rectifier in the engine to be sure)

For reference (in case you get someone ellse's tacho) colours are: Yam - Green Suz, Yellow. I think OMC & Honda use Gray too.


Any non digital gauge should work, you may need to set the switch on the back to the right number of poles. it's pretty obvious when its wrong (e.g. idling at 400 / 1500 RPM or flat out at 3.5K or off the scale)


The tacho basically counts alternator pulses, most have two or three positions for different # pole variants.

Thanks for the help, I may try and find out who made the water presure and fuel gauge that is allready on the rib, they may do a revo counter to match, I know they are not mercury, I have also seen some nice Teleflex gauges, what are they like?
__________________
martin33100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2009, 05:00   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
There's a very high chance they will! I've heard people say the older ones have a habit of fogging up. Ssearch the posts, I've seen a few discussions about them on here.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2009, 11:53   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,335
Mercury Part number....
79-859674A1

Black face and bezel. 0 - 6000RPM.
__________________
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2009, 15:13   #8
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,270
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin33100 View Post
I have also seen some nice Teleflex gauges, what are they like?
Teleflex make fairly good gauges, but not a patch on OEM products.
__________________

__________________
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.