Old 05 November 2006, 22:09   #1

Town: covington
Boat name: bettyboob
Make: excaliber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 175
what is correct ?

just got my first boat when i hook the hose to it and crank it where does the water supposed to come out at there two openings on back of motor then theres a little hole above them.....which holes should the water come out of mercury 1750 thanks alot for any help
Old 06 November 2006, 03:50   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
The little "pee hole" should have a continuous stream of water from it always! That water is cooling your engine (and lubricating the impellor that pumps the water in...) You can fry an outboard very quickly if that stream of water is blocked...

Does your engine have an actual attachment for a hose, or are you using "ear muffs"? If the muffs, be careful they don't vibrate off when the engine is running.

The two larger holes are exhaust holes... and pas exhaust gases with a little moisture from condensation.

BTW, how do your neighbors like the noise?

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2006, 10:26   #3

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
lower unit flush ports are not made to run the motor when flushin, some motors will overheat on a hose with muffs. the wash port on the LU is for flushin the water pump, Not to run the Motor.
Old 06 November 2006, 11:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fred View Post
lower unit flush ports are not made to run the motor when flushin, some motors will overheat on a hose with muffs. the wash port on the LU is for flushin the water pump, Not to run the Motor.
should water come out of pee hole when flushing lu with hose my water comes out the other two holes thanks alot
Old 06 November 2006, 11:47   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Ideally yes the water should come out of the pee hole with the muffs on. But I have seen a couple of engines that when on the muffs don't seem to get enough pressure of water to get water up to the pee hole. This has been on a couple of 150 + HP engines that I saw. Not mine and if they had of been I would have been worried. I think its more to do with the hose pipe and muffs than the engine. How good are your muffs ? Mine only puts water in on one side and the other is just a barrier to stop the water going staright through. I have seen better muffs that put the water in both sides of the muff. Maybe you could show a photo of the way you attach the muffs. And also you need to make sure you have a good strong flow from the hose pipe.

If worried and want to test your engine why not put it in a drum of water. Works better than muffs but more hassle.
Old 06 November 2006, 12:20   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The water should be expelled from the same holes as when the engine is in the water.

The tell-tail, through the prop, through the idle exhaust bypass holes and, possibly, through a vent above the anti-ventilation plate of the lower unit.

However, some Mercury motors don't supply water to the tell-tail until they have warmed up and the thermostat opens. Also, there may be little coming out of the idle bypass vents since the lower unit is not submerged so there is no back pressure to drive the exhaust/water out of them.

What prompted your query? Are you seeing something you feel is not correct?
Old 06 November 2006, 17:18   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
first boat:

A bit more info here would be good: How are you connecting the hose to the motor? Are you using a set of clamp-on muffs around the lower unit, to which the hose is attached; or are you attaching the hose directly to the motor through an adaptor that is screwed into the LU, or a hose connection near the powerhead?

The "direct to motor" type adaptors are generally *not* for running the motor (one exception I've seen is at least some Suzuki's; they have a video on their website that shows exactly that.) These are usually a passive washout; hook up the hose, turn on the water, and let it go for about 10 minutes. Don't know about Merc's, but my Yamaha has about 5 places that water exits while doing this (the pee hole being one of them.)

The muff type hose connection is supposed to simulate being in-water. The motor is run for washout. Water is supplied to the cooling water intakes, kept there by the muffs, and is circulated around the engine by the water pump, same as it is in normal running. Drawback is that most muffs don't supply the same amount of water, so you might not get the amount of cooling that you normally do. Also, they've been known to slip off of the cooling ports, which would be classified under the "Bad Things" heading. My Honda 40 would drive the telltale doing this, and would also leak from about 4 other ports, with most of the water coming out through the prop.

In either case, more water and more water pressure is better (talking normal household water pressure here; no fire trucks, please.) A large diameter hose and the tap opened up fully will be the best you can do, unless you happen to have a 55 gallon drum or freshwater lake handy.

jky
Old 06 November 2006, 23:25   #8

what is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
The water should be expelled from the same holes as when the engine is in the water.

The tell-tail, through the prop, through the idle exhaust bypass holes and, possibly, through a vent above the anti-ventilation plate of the lower unit.

However, some Mercury motors don't supply water to the tell-tail until they have warmed up and the thermostat opens. Also, there may be little coming out of the idle bypass vents since the lower unit is not submerged so there is no back pressure to drive the exhaust/water out of them.

What prompted your query? Are you seeing something you feel is not correct?
just got boat havent put in water yet want to be sure motors allright so i dont burn it up guess ill try the drum trick someone said to get some thermomelt sticks but cant find them
Old 14 November 2006, 11:49   #9

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
ok, foreget them thermol sticks, thats stoneage, put it in a bucket fill till the LU is under water, or back it in at the ramp, Fire it UP. you should see some water splashin out the exhaust idle releaf holes at the back just below the powerhead
and out the pee toob, 140deg water temp max.

whats the water pump impeler lookin like?