Old 21 June 2006, 12:59   #11
Town: Oxford
Length: no boat
A few years ago i saw someone in a 5.5m Rib hit the bar off calshot spit at 25knots in a SW force 4. The gearbox just sheard off the bottom of the engine leg (evinrude 40). Damage to shaft, casing(reparable) and bearings. We never found the gearbox.

Watersports and Event Photography, Oxford
Andy_Rs600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 13:10   #12
Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Some of my colleagues were in our old boat when they hit an old carpet laying flat in the water, just as they were going under Tower Bridge...It acted like an arrester hook on an aircraft carrier and stopped the boat dead from 40 knots. They were lucky to stay on board! Cut it away and no damage though...

I've hit at various times scaffolding boards, old (thankfully empty) propane bottles, rope and the bottom in a variety of outboard driven boat and the prop is the main thing that seems to get damaged and more rarely than you'd suspect. Chopped a scaffolding board in half once with no damage. We run S/steel props.

The engine will kick up if it hits something beefy and you are speeding along. This is why on newer boats, especially hardboats, there is that engine well that the engine can move into when it is fully raised. This is why if you are modifying the seating or changing the layout on an older boat, don't be putting seats directly in front of the engine, as it could need this space to kick up in the event of a collision with something solid. Only an issue if you are chopping and changing your boat around...

Tideway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 19:03   #13
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by roycruse
Don't forget your spare battery, spare engine, spare fuel tank, spare steering wheel, spare hull, spare crew, spare helmsman and spare ... ... ... ... ...
I have a spare prop on board. And all the tools to swap it out. Wouldn't be without it.

I tried changing the prop from within the boat in the comfort of my own driveway and decided it was a fruitless exercise - I imediately removed my prop spanner and spare prop from the boat and made room for extra beer
Since I use the boat for diving (mostly, anyway), I generally have the option of doing the swap in-water (underwater, if push comes to shove.) In the case of a damaged , but functional prop, I have the option of returning to the dock and pulling the boat, and taking care of it on the trailer. At least I'll be back on the water that weekend, rather than having to drive home (2.5 hrs) to get it all right again (well, assuming the lower unit survives. I don't carry a spare for that.)

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote