Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
....Come on Poley,if you jump in a hole,better know when to stop digging eh
have I missed an argument I didn't know I was having? I simply said it didn't make sense to me. seems logical that if the engines are putting out more power than spec that Evinrude would be shouting about this from the rooftops. The only reason I can think of not to do would be to sneak extra power onto race boats - but presumably they are subject to some scrutiny?

More torque, and a better gearbox might be justification for the HO in itself anyway. But the salesman would need to produce something more substantial than hype to justify to me the presumably inflated price tag for the other engine.
Old 17 June 2010, 23:10   #23

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Didn't the HO principle stem from the Bass Fishing competitions in the US, where the boats run to a limited hp and this was Evinrood's way of getting the yanks out to the fish that bit quicker than Merc, etc. powered boats?
Old 18 June 2010, 06:59   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Roy 'Osprey' Bishop ran a 250 HO on a 7m Vmax, he now has a 250Etec on a 7m. A fair comparison one would think. During a phone conversation re. props, he said that he was slightly disappointed with the HO. In his opinion, the HO gave a slightly quicker pull-out, peakier characteristics to ruin wakeboarding/skiing, more noise, 'Oh my gawd-y' graphics and not much else.

Personally, I'd keep away from any race orientated engine unless I intended to race.
Old 18 June 2010, 09:43   #25

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Without getting into an argument about over powering, I went from 115 Ficht's (these were 2002 engines without the glitches) to 150 etecs. Obviously a big difference in power, but the fact that the etecs are v6 above 130hp makes for a much smoother engine. I also looked at Yam 150's but they were to big and bulky for the transom, also a bit more expensive. You would clearly need to make sure your not over powering the boat, it sounds as though some folk with the same rib as you have gone for 130/150hp, if you can you should maybe try to get a look at their set ups.
Old 18 June 2010, 15:54   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Without getting into an argument about over powering, I went from 115 Ficht's (these were 2002 engines without the glitches) to 150 etecs. Obviously a big difference in power, but the fact that the etecs are v6 above 130hp makes for a much smoother engine. I also looked at Yam 150's but they were to big and bulky for the transom, also a bit more expensive. You would clearly need to make sure your not over powering the boat, it sounds as though some folk with the same rib as you have gone for 130/150hp, if you can you should maybe try to get a look at their set ups.

I agree this is a big heavy boat there used to be a 585 Ribtec in my boat shed and it had a 115 opti on the back but could easily have carried more weight and HP.

I would speak to your insurance co. and get them to confirm the position if they don't play ball go to another insurer.

As for the HO if you can get away with a 130 from an insurance point of view then I would totally agree with the point made about the HO being designed for the racing scene so it has a gearbox that is built to run very high up on the transom and it likes to run a larger dia prop to get the most out of it not necesarrily what you want on a rib.

If you want to play it safe and get the same performance as you were getting from your Yam then go with the 115.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 16:54   #27

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I agree this is a big heavy boat there used to be a 585 Ribtec in my boat shed and it had a 115 opti on the back but could easily have carried more weight and HP.
I'd go along with that too, my 5.85 had a Yam 90 on it when I bought it and was underpowered (although it pushed along at a respectable 30 kts) I've now installed a 150 merc XR6, the boat can certainly handle the weight OK and so far the HP isn't a problem either. My regret is I have a transom cut down for a L shaft, an XL would have been ideal.
Old 18 June 2010, 16:59   #28

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
My regret is I have a transom cut down for a L shaft, an XL would have been ideal.
Do you want jam on it?!! You practically nicked the boat!
Old 18 June 2010, 17:46   #29

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 yam
i had a ribcraft 585 with a 115 2 stroke yam , i then up graded to the yam 4 stroke 115 , you wont believe the difference , near half the fuel, smooth take off and so quite, never had a problem with either engine, think i was doing 40 plus knots, unless your bringing heavy loads the 115 is loads of hp, as wen u go over the 40 knots she starts to chime walk
Old 18 June 2010, 17:47   #30

Town: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Do you want jam on it?!! You practically nicked the boat!
Well he's got a holiday home in Rock, I did him a favour getting it off his drive.
Besides you'd have made him an offer
Old 18 June 2010, 19:13   #31

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The only reason I can think of not to do would be to sneak extra power onto race boats - but presumably they are subject to some scrutiny?
I think you've answered your own question. There will be a tolerence allowed in the power output of outboards (ICOMIA standards?) probably allowing +/-10% against the stated output. For the Bass boat engines manufacturers can make sure the engines are all +10%.
Old 18 June 2010, 20:35   #32
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
I think you've answered your own question
Leave him be, it's one of his few remaining pleasures...

Moderating is taking it's Toll. However, at some point, I intend to rescue him while His Lankiness is looking the other way
Old 19 June 2010, 04:36   #33
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
The Etec 115 HO is the same weight as the 130 (and only 10KG more than the 115) the HO will kick out about 120-125HP. I really would not worry about fitting the 115HO to your 6 meter.

Yamaha V4 2 stroke 170Kgs
Etec 115HO 177Kgs

Its a superb engine and one of the best in the range IMO.

Best order one of these then

Quote:
I would totally agree with the point made about the HO being designed for the racing scene so it has a gearbox that is built to run very high up on the transom and it likes to run a larger dia prop to get the most out of it not necesarrily what you want on a rib.
Hang on bin that idea , his head is up to speed with the fingers again
Old 28 June 2010, 14:18   #34

Town: Blandford
Boat name: Hypa - Activ
Make: Ribtec 585 (6m versi
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 Yamaha 2 Stroke
Thanks for all your valid opinions..

Haven't checked this thread for a while, so it was nice to see such lively and informative comments. I am still processing the claim. I've had one esitmate in, for a Mercury/Mariner 125 so far....still waiting for the guy in Christchurch to let me have his estimate, then it's time to do battle with the insurers!
Old 29 June 2010, 17:55   #35

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Good luck favours the Brave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrhold View Post
Haven't checked this thread for a while, so it was nice to see such lively and informative comments. I am still processing the claim. I've had one esitmate in, for a Mercury/Mariner 125 so far....still waiting for the guy in Christchurch to let me have his estimate, then it's time to do battle with the insurers!
Best of British with that one!.. Glad to see Avocett got such good and prompt service [and payout!!] from his insurers after HIS recent claim!! Nice one Dave!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote