Old 18 January 2015, 18:01   #1

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Weight vs HP Capacities

Hey guys, so I've been looking at the Saturn SD330W as a boat to carry 2-4 total souls on board for just tooling around and seeing the sights. I noticed the stated capacities for the motor are 15HP/125lbs. My question is would it be "safe" to use a 20hp Merc on that boat since it falls under the 125lb weight limit? It's 5 horses over the limit, but the 20 horse Merc is literally the exact same engine as the 15hp except for some differences in porting and exhaust to squeeze those extra 5 ponies out. How much danger would I really be putting the transom in by doing this? I know too much weight hanging off the end would be unwise, but would a little extra thrust in the same size package rip the transom off?

Also, would a 15/20HP Merc be too much for one younger male to mount and dismount alone by hand? It wouldn't be carried any sort of distance, just enough to get it on and off the transom and then onto a stand/car trunk.

Extra-Wide Inflatable Fishing Boat SD330W. Only $1029.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...roke/15-20-hp/
Old 18 January 2015, 23:01   #2

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 6hp
I can say I have never lifted a 20hp outboard and don't want to. It's easy to pick up say 30 kg when it's nicely distibuted on a bar say or a bag of sand, but outboard motors are top heavy and awkwardly shaped. I would stick with the recommended. And even think about that. Try it, the packing down will tell. At first it's great but after a while you might wish you had a trailer, I do and mine is only 27kg.
Old 19 January 2015, 08:22   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i would personally stick the 20 merc on same weight as the 15 just keep it off WOT in rough conditions and be sensible about it why go to the expense of changing out.
you could bolt two supports from the transom to the floor to beef up a bit

regards jeff
Old 19 January 2015, 13:03   #4

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
I would say stick it on, but the transom on that boat looks a bit flimsy?
Old 20 January 2015, 22:18   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
Also, would a 15/20HP Merc be too much for one younger male to mount and dismount alone by hand? It wouldn't be carried any sort of distance, just enough to get it on and off the transom and then onto a stand/car trunk.
Mine is 48 kg if I remember right. It is VERY awkward.

I JUST managed to get it on the transom on my own. I wouldn't try it again (it was easier to keep going than stop). Mine is bolted on now and hopefully never has to come off! I wouldn't take it on/off each use. Once/twice a year but not every time. Even if you are more used to lifting big weights it will be tricky as the thing is a difficult shape with slippery sides, no sensibly placed handholds and is top heavy.

With the added complications of having to lie a 4stroke down the right way up I think you definitely need to try it before you buy it.
Old 21 January 2015, 05:40   #6

Town: Mountain View, CA
Boat name: Six Park
Make: True Kit
Engine: Suzuki 6
If you really want a 20hp outboard, get the Suzuki. It's only 97lb and is the lightest in the 20hp class.

2015 Suzuki 20 HP DF20AS Outboard Motor - 20 HP Outboards - Suzuki - Outboard Motors

$2,689.77 free shipping