Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 November 2011, 11:32   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleAbout View Post
I couldn't justify the 88 so have got by with a 30 auto equivalent one by spray painting the top aluminium section.
The standard Yamaha filter mount is aluminum. For twice the price (about $100 vs $50) they offer a SS version (both come with a filter canister; no drainable bowl, just a solid canister, like an auto oil filter cartridge.)

The aluminum bracket got really ugly really quickly: Within a year, the paint had peeled, and the aluminum appeared to be completely encased in salt (it wasn't but the oxidation made it look that way), and that was with rinsing after every outing.

Found a guy who had the SS mounts for about $50, and haven't looked back.

For anyone interested, the Yamaha filter mount works with a Racor S3213 filter (which has the clear drainable bowl.)

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 12:07   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Got one inside the console on Streaker and never had an issue with water (never had water let alone an issue).

Now I'm trying to find the 'filter' part to get it replaced . Its got the clear bowl filter & it seems to be genuine Yam part ... Buggered if I can find anything like the right filter as yam part ...

Think its the Ali top , but has led a sheltered life ( literally) so still looks fine. Am sure I posted a pic on here somewhere maybe ?

Yep - here
Fuel Tank installation concerns?

..still looks like this 5 years old now..
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 16:28   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
I've been looking around and the prices are all over the place:

items in fuel filter store on eBay!

The all plastic Yamaha one seems like one of the most expensive, however you can pick a metal one up for as little as 28.

Pete, is this your filter?

Yamaha Water Separating Fuel Filter Element for engines over 115hp | eBay
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 17:20   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Now I'm trying to find the 'filter' part to get it replaced . Its got the clear bowl filter & it seems to be genuine Yam part ... ..
As jyasaki said, a Racor cartridge will fit and should come in a few quid less than the genuine Yam one in Whisper's link

Like this:
http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/...pin-on-element
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 17:26   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
As jyasaki said, a Racor cartridge will fit and should come in a few quid less than the genuine Yam one in Whisper's link
It sure does

Parker Racor S3213 Replacement Fuel / Water Separator | eBay

And they're in Poole
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 17:43   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Worth Pete checking, but I think his filter head needs the S3227 cartridge:

Parker Racor S3227 Replacement Fuel / Water Element | eBay
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 19:55   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Worth Pete checking, but I think his filter head needs the S3227 cartridge:

Parker Racor S3227 Replacement Fuel / Water Element | eBay
Yep, I think you're right, Pete's filter looks like a 'MARINE 320R-RAC-01' which uses a Racor S3227
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 20:02   #18
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Got one of THESE in my boat. Had one in my last too and never had a problem, great for water seperating and you can visibly check for water instead of stripping the whole lot down. Filters are dirt cheap, you can get finer grades of filter than that supplied and in the whole make a very economical filter and worth the money just for the water seperating feature.

PS: I've got one with a deeper bowl, if I find it I'll post it later.

Here it is: LINK
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 20:40   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Got one of THESE in my boat. Had one in my last too and never had a problem, great for water seperating and you can visibly check for water instead of stripping the whole lot down. Filters are dirt cheap, you can get finer grades of filter than that supplied and in the whole make a very economical filter and worth the money just for the water seperating feature.

PS: I've got one with a deeper bowl, if I find it I'll post it later.

Here it is: LINK
I've used them in the past - filters are around 2 apiece and readily available from all agricultural and plant suppliers

The ally isn't too keen on the salty air though.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2011, 21:06   #20
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I've used them in the past - filters are around 2 apiece and readily available from all agricultural and plant suppliers

The ally isn't too keen on the salty air though.
She's fine if kept in the forward locker and in the dry
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.