Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 March 2007, 21:21   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 196
Volspec i have found over the years to be excellent - i would rec them to anyone.
Coastalrides i have found over the years to be 'different' - email me for my opinion ...........! skyeseafari@aol.com

Valve clearance supposed to be done every 200 hours, although I do not think so that often with the 32 - the 44 and 300 are supposedly different and need more looking at.

Anodes - they do tend to eat the ring anode, but not so much the other bar one - there are none on the engine, so is a small price to pay to keep it good. Depends on where you moor and all that..........

The hours that are on it are nothing to worry about - i put over 1000 hours on mine in the 1st year i had it!!!

cheers

Pete
__________________

__________________
seafariskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 15:19   #32
alt
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 644
Send a message via MSN to alt
Thanks for the links guys, very useful

Jwalker - What exactly did you ask for? If I ask my motorfactors for a filter for a boat they'll start scratching their heads!
__________________

__________________
alt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 15:35   #33
Member
 
blufin's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 200
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 53
hi alt
marine parts in malahide will have or get you everything you need, either genuine or aftermarket parts and DHL them to you. 01 8075144
gerry
__________________
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 19:28   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Thanks for the links guys, very useful

Jwalker - What exactly did you ask for? If I ask my motorfactors for a filter for a boat they'll start scratching their heads!
Take the old ones with you, they'll match them. I think the fuel and air filter for the 32 are the same as my 300 but the oil one might well be different. The Crossland part numbers are: Air filter=719, Fuel filter=5006, Oil filter=619. If you are pally enough with the guys at the motor factors, ask them whether they have a filter catalogue you can have...very useful. If they sell another make of filter, they should be able to match the numbers. IBWET gets his from Maccess, if they exist in your part of the world that could be a useful source.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 15:58   #35
alt
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 644
Send a message via MSN to alt
Thanks jwalker. Volspec got back to me with a quote so i'm just gonna buy the whole lot from them this time round as im in a bit of a rush. Next time ill see my other options.

Does anyone know the capacity of the supercharger oil? I'm going to do a complete flush to be safe. I know it comes in 250ml cartons, I just want to knwo how much to order

Oh, Iknow i'm being cheeky now but.... I have the pump for changing the gearoil on my mercruiser Alpha-one, is it the same thread size for the volvo duo prop stern drive?
__________________
alt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 16:19   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Does anyone know the capacity of the supercharger oil?
It's 100ml. You need to read yer user manual!
Quote:
I have the pump for changing the gearoil on my mercruiser Alpha-one, is it the same thread size for the volvo duo prop stern drive?
Nay idea.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 18:37   #37
alt
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 644
Send a message via MSN to alt
jwalker - I read the manual and I thought it was some sort of typing error... 100ml just seems so little!

Must search the net for a Volvo diesel user-group
__________________
alt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2007, 18:23   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 198
Look out for......

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Hi guys,
Not strictly RIB related. I am going to inspect a boat next week, which I intend to buy. There is a Volvo KAD 32 diesel (Super and Turbo - 170HP - 2001) installed.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? Any known faults with the engine?

The supercharger has been replaced last year. There's load of receipt's for all the service history so I presume it was well taken care of.

Any advise/tips on things to watch out for much appreciated!
Hi,
Ive had 4 boats with KAD32 & trust me you want to carry new Supercharger clutches as they go if you hammer the engine, i have changed at least 1 on every KAD32 & two on one of the KAD42's ive had. Check to see if they get extra hot under load or if they are slipping, remember they are only working under 3000 to 3500rpm as the turbo takes over after that & the Supercharger cuts out. They cost about 65>80 & are easy to change even if your at sea!! so dont panic. Also keep an eye on the engine mounts as they have a habbit of going & id change the Bellows on the gear box just cause they should be done every other year. Hope that helps.
Regards Mike.
__________________
Mike...

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2007, 04:37   #39
alt
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 644
Send a message via MSN to alt
Hi Mike,
Thank's for that. The supercharger was changed last year, and there are receipts (Never asked why - the owner just said 'it went')

By clutch I presume you mean the clutch that sit's between the belt and the charger? My charger kicks in at around 1500RPM (Can't remember when it cuts out - I was having too much fun!) So if the clutch goes, the charger won't kick in? I will keep that in mind because if the clutch ever went and you didn't tell me, i'd have thought the charger was gone, so thanks!!

When you say 'check to see if they get extra hot', do you mean the belts, or the body of the charger?

With regards to mounts - Should I try torqing down th enuts every so often, or just look for shot mounts?

The bellows were changed at the beginning of last season. I inspected them before putting the boat in the water and they were spotless. No signs of cracks etc and they were still even shiny! However they will be replaced at the end of this season for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hi,
Ive had 4 boats with KAD32 & trust me you want to carry new Supercharger clutches as they go if you hammer the engine, i have changed at least 1 on every KAD32 & two on one of the KAD42's ive had. Check to see if they get extra hot under load or if they are slipping, remember they are only working under 3000 to 3500rpm as the turbo takes over after that & the Supercharger cuts out. They cost about 65>80 & are easy to change even if your at sea!! so dont panic. Also keep an eye on the engine mounts as they have a habbit of going & id change the Bellows on the gear box just cause they should be done every other year. Hope that helps.
Regards Mike.
__________________
alt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2007, 08:17   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 198
Reference.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Hi Mike,
Thank's for that. The supercharger was changed last year, and there are receipts (Never asked why - the owner just said 'it went')

By clutch I presume you mean the clutch that sit's between the belt and the charger? My charger kicks in at around 1500RPM (Can't remember when it cuts out - I was having too much fun!) So if the clutch goes, the charger won't kick in? I will keep that in mind because if the clutch ever went and you didn't tell me, i'd have thought the charger was gone, so thanks!!

When you say 'check to see if they get extra hot', do you mean the belts, or the body of the charger?

With regards to mounts - Should I try torqing down th enuts every so often, or just look for shot mounts?

The bellows were changed at the beginning of last season. I inspected them before putting the boat in the water and they were spotless. No signs of cracks etc and they were still even shiny! However they will be replaced at the end of this season for peace of mind.
Mounts; Top bolts seem to come loose.

Clutches; Front black round bit on the charger with belt on it, gets extra hot if slipping also gets play in it when bearings going, if it does/has change it A.S.A.P. i got conned by the 'sorry the supercharger is gone ' story the first time around (expensive missplaced trust)! so did my homework the next time. If the clutch go's & you dont have a spare then just take the belt off as they have a habit of falling to bits all over the engine room (metal / bearings & rubber everywhere), this will mean the engine will run on the turbo only ie; be a lot slower onto the plane but should get you home ok, a bit like running a VOLVO AD31 instead.
All i will say is preventive maintainence is allways the best way of keeping the BIG bills at bay.

But overall they are a great engine, 0ne of the best in my expirence (sound great too). Have fun.
Mike.
__________________

__________________
Mike...

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.