Old 18 April 2013, 06:17   #1

Make: ASIS
Length: 8m +
Engine: iNBOARD VOLVO PENTA
Volvo penta d3 inboard diesel dropping oil pressure

Good morning guys,

I am having a slight problem with a volvo penta diesel inboard d3 engine. It is currently dropping oil pressure.

Basically when running at full revs the oil pressure is fine around 570 but after 5-10 mins it starts to drop in sets of ten at a time until it reaches around 320 and the check oil alarm sounds. If when it starts to drop we reduce speed then it evens itself out. Does anyone have any ideas of the problem. clogged oil filter possibly?. The oil levels are fine.

The problem is the engine has diagnostic ports so will need a volvo technician which will be costly!

Also yesterday when starting the vessel the check EVC alarm sounded and the engine wouldnt turn over. Eventually we got her started but as soon as she was put in astern the engine cut out? Today the check evc alarm is sounded and will not turn over. Also the trim dial is showing 56, however the stern leg is fully in the water?

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards John
Old 18 April 2013, 15:43   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Most oil filters (if the spin-on, all-in-one canister type) have a pressure bypass in the 10 to 20 psi range; if the filter clogs, it shouldn't affect oil circulation. Not sure about separate cartridge types.

jky
Old 18 April 2013, 16:35   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: hydradrive
Make: yamaha
Length: no boat
Engine: sterndrives
I would say its most probably the sender unit itself. You would have to check this with a mechanical gauge to rule this out.
Old 18 April 2013, 16:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Most oil filters (if the spin-on, all-in-one canister type) have a pressure bypass in the 10 to 20 psi range; if the filter clogs, it shouldn't affect oil circulation. Not sure about separate cartridge types.

jky
By the time your oil filter clogs I'm surprise your have an engine left
Old 18 April 2013, 18:00   #5

Town: Stornoway
Make: Scorpion 8.1 mk2
Engine: Yamaha F300
Just a quick suggestion, but if you have fuel in your oil somehow, i.e. from a leaking fuel pump drive seal etc, it would give you low oil pressure when the engine is warm as you are experiencing. Has the oil level risen on the dipstick mark? Its just a theory tho, good luck

Regards

Robbie
Old 19 April 2013, 01:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam man View Post
By the time your oil filter clogs I'm surprise your have an engine left
I don't disagree; just saying that a clogged filter shouldn't keep oil ffrom circulating (again, the standard auto spin-on type.)

jky
Old 19 April 2013, 01:23   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
I was told some modern oil pressure sender units can get a small build up of metal partials that can cause odd problems ,
Old 19 April 2013, 07:20   #8

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Helena
Make: Birchwood
Length: 5m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 250hp
I would do an oil and filter change first and then see what happens. You'll need a good marine 15w40 oil bout 7 litres and a replacement filter which is the paper element type. I would do that first and check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge as mentioned before. As for trim gauge would suspect sender is us.
Old 19 April 2013, 15:02   #9

Make: ASIS
Engine: iNBOARD VOLVO PENTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Diesel View Post
Just a quick suggestion, but if you have fuel in your oil somehow, i.e. from a leaking fuel pump drive seal etc, it would give you low oil pressure when the engine is warm as you are experiencing. Has the oil level risen on the dipstick mark? Its just a theory tho, good luck

Regards

Robbie
Thanks for all your help guys, some very good reponses.

Robbie yes the oil has risen on the dipstick since the problem has been occuring. would this symbolise fuel in oil? Again thanks for your help..

From all the other responses im guessing the EVC alarm is because of a faulty sender?

I went down to the boat again today, but she wont turn over. Says EVC alarm and trim to high to start. Dials are showing trim level as 56 with a red light, even though the stern leg is fully down!
Old 19 April 2013, 15:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john20 View Post
Robbie yes the oil has risen on the dipstick since the problem has been occuring. would this symbolise fuel in oil? Again thanks for your help..
Some Yam outboards are prone to "making oil" when run at low rpm for extended periods (think trolling for salmon.) In those cases it's generally assumed an excess of cooling water and a lack of heat generation from the powerhead casing a lot of unburned fuel to remain in the system.

IIRC, symptoms are a cloudy/milky oil appearance, and a definite fuel smell to the oil (not sure if this would show up on a diesel.) It affects lubricity to some degree, so should be addressed, but the solution can be hard to pin down (I've heard differing routes including running warmer thermostats, ring replacement, or just opening up the throttle now and then.)

A web search for "making oil" should get you more info.

jky
Old 19 April 2013, 19:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

I don't disagree; just saying that a clogged filter shouldn't keep oil ffrom circulating (again, the standard auto spin-on type.)

jky
all I'm saying is if your oil filter clogs up there some serious issues going on .