Old 21 September 2010, 11:57   #1

Length: 6m +
Engine: kad32p
VOLVO KAD32 problem

Hi,
Having trouble,again!
Have had trouble with the hose from the turbo(attached to metal elbow that connects to airbox) It split,probably due to age, in the first instance and gave a high pitched whining noise and maybe the same sounds ive seen listed on this forum for people thinking its the turbo!!!
Having replaced it that has since split as well ,so now on the 3rd hose! BUT,after getting out and trying the RIB it wouldnt do more than 9knots!!!!!!
It revs out of gear no problem and everything is doing what it should but soon as its in gear and throttle pushed forward theres nothing there!?
Have had the injectors replaced,the diesel pump has recently been replaced as it was leaking but its been fine for 6 months.The belts have been replaced recently as well.Its all revs and no go! Any ideas??
Old 21 September 2010, 13:08   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Is it a boost hose your referring to, if its got a hole in then the engine won't ever come on boost hence the low revs.
Problems my Dad has had on a different engine same symptons were injector pump, lift pump and filter related.
Old 21 September 2010, 15:24   #3

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
sounds like no boost pressure. sure the new hose is still on properly and not leaking/blown off at one end
may be worth replacing it with a silicone hose if it keeps splitting.
as chewy points out if any of the hoses are split then you aint going anywhere with no boost pressure, other than at displacement speeds.
Old 21 September 2010, 15:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
sounds like no boost pressure. sure the new hose is still on properly and not leaking/blown off at one end
may be worth replacing it with a silicone hose if it keeps splitting.
as chewy points out if any of the hoses are split then you aint going anywhere with no boost pressure, other than at displacement speeds.
Thanks for replying chaps.The hose is a silicone hose...bit hard to explain as im no mechanic but its whats connecting the compressor to the turbo.It split at sea and we managed to creep back to port!
With new hose fitted it was fine an dandy.. right up to the new hose splitting!!!
Thinking it was to much back pressure or blocked filters causing the hose to split we changed filters and popped a new hose on and everything seemed fine..until its in gear and theres no go!!!
New hose is good and tight with no holes.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:10   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Read something recently where a similar engine ran fine in neutral but not in gear. I think it was traced to blocked fuel line or filter allowing enough diesel through when there was no load, but not enough when under load.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:48   #6

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda BF30
Any chance of a photo of this hose?

free
Old 22 September 2010, 11:00   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I'm not familiar with the 32 but I am familiar with the 44 and 300 which are similar. Given that the engine was working correctly before the hose change then you need to make sure there are no inlet hose air leaks or turbo to engine air leaks. I'm presuming you haven't introduced a problem like leaving a piece of rag inside the air system. It may be worth checking the flap valve in the Y air inlet pipe junction. This flap should be closed while the engine is on the compressor but it opens when the turbo is up to speed. If the flap is hooked open somehow, the compressor air will recirculate back into the air filter housing. Why you had a second hose failure, I've no idea.
Old 22 September 2010, 15:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Read something recently where a similar engine ran fine in neutral but not in gear. I think it was traced to blocked fuel line or filter allowing enough diesel through when there was no load, but not enough when under load.
Cheers for the replies.
The diesel pumps been taken off and sent off to a chap that knows about such things as we are thinking the same thing,starved of fuel under load.The filters have been changed so thinking its the pump.
The hose splitting first time was probably old age ,the second time i cant help but think was bad luck and coincedence!!!.
Should have it back and fitted saturday.....
Bloody boats!!!!!!
Old 22 September 2010, 18:40   #9

I hope you havent been too hasty removing the pump, I think a bit more diagnosis would have been prudent first.
we have already seen one boat on here nearly have a full engine rebuild, having already had filters,turbo,liftpump,injectors,injectorpump,etc. when
the problem was a blocked exhaust
hopefully it is the fuel pumpnot something simple overlooked that could be changed in situ. like compensator diaphragm,sticking wastegates etc.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:09   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
No waste gates on a Volvo Penta but I agree checking the obvious and simple things first. Check for fuel flow by lifting the fuel pump lever and bleeding the engine fuel filter as normal and change the filter to be sure it's good.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:41   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
No waste gates on a Volvo Penta but I agree checking the obvious and simple things first. Check for fuel flow by lifting the fuel pump lever and bleeding the engine fuel filter as normal and change the filter to be sure it's good.
Also check the fuel return line to the tank.
Old 23 September 2010, 00:25   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Some automotive injector pumps have a tiny cone shaped mesh filter hidden in the fuel intake fitting and this gets bunged up with sh^te over a period of time (no idea how it gets through the main filter - but it does). Causes fuel starvation and power loss/limited revs. No idea if these engines have that but worth asking?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 14:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Also check the fuel return line to the tank.
Very good point, a blocked return line will reduce fuelling on quite a few types of injector pump, mainly rotary types. rotodiesel CAV DPA/DPS types.
Old 24 October 2019, 05:14   #14

Town: Lija
Boat name: Frizzante
Make: Cranchi
Length: 7m +
Engine: volvo KAD32P diesel
Hi, sorry for reviving such an old thread, but can you let us know what the problem was in the end?

I have a similar problem on my KAD32 and it’s not clear what’s going on.

Thanks
Old 24 October 2019, 07:30   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by banflu View Post
Hi, sorry for reviving such an old thread, but can you let us know what the problem was in the end?

I have a similar problem on my KAD32 and it’s not clear what’s going on.

Thanks
Probably better off starting a new thread with a list of symptoms & history on your engine
Old 24 October 2019, 10:08   #16

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It does sound like fuel starvation. I'd check the tank vent first, followed by the checking / replacing the filters.

You could try blowing down the fuel pick up and return hoses to make sure they aren't blocked.

Once it gets to the engine, it needs a more knowledgable man than me but I'll be interested to find out the cause / fix when you get there.

Good Luck.