Old 09 October 2009, 14:37   #1

Length: 6m +
Engine: Kad 32 Diesel
Volvo KAD 32 Bellows

The bellows on my KAD 32 split & let water into the drive assembly.
My yard is trying to give me an estimate of cost to repair, Do any of you guys have any idea as to what damage actually occurs when this happens? and any idea as to what it will cost to repair?
Has anybody else had this problem??

The stresses of boat ownership...........

Thanks for your help

Funboater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1710.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	46445  
Old 09 October 2009, 15:25   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Your meant to change them every four years I think. If they do split it can lead to water ending up in the boat and it sinking.
My Dad changed his and didn't have too much of a problem.
Old 09 October 2009, 21:01   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I guess it depends to some extent on the time in water after the failure. Inside the bellows the water will have access to the gearbox input, the double universal joints and the oil seal. If the seal lets water by then the water will get at the flywheel and drive components also the starter ring and starter motor. It is likely to leak out of the flywheel housing and into the engine compartment so more damade will result. The cost of repair obviously will depend on the extent of the damage. My Volvo manual suggests annual checking and replacement ever two years. I check mine very regularly because of the extensive damage risk.

Good luck with it.
Old 13 October 2009, 21:55   #4

Length: 6m +
Engine: Kad 32 Diesel
Thanks for your help guys, It looks like all of the above problems - oil seal, starter, u joints etc.
I rely on the boatyard to maintain my boat and they suggested I change the bellows this year but when they went to do it they discovered that they had already split - probably months ago but as the boat was out of the water there were no warning bells for me so it went unnoticed.
It looks like the water has caused extensive damage particurlary as the problem wasn't discovered for months.
Let this be a lesson to others, don't rely on others to look out for your maintenance issues - read & understand the owners manual and do carry out the recommended checks and replacements.
I had never even looked at the bellows, didn't know what they were! but looking at how obviously deteriorated they are now, had I taken a simple look at them I would have realised how worn they were and would have changed them immediately!
Do your homework, dont rely on others!!! aaaarghhhhhhhhhhhh....................