Old 21 March 2010, 04:27   #11

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My 6.2m Hull is made from the same mould as the 5.8m. I have a 150 Evinrude DI on the back (forerunner of the ETEC) and was a little disappointed by my performance. I hoped for and expected 44 knots but only managed 37 knots WOT. This is because obviously the Vipermax has a very deep V and as such has pretty excellent handling in rough weather.

Another reason for a lower performance is because it runs with the rear of the tubes slightly in the water. This will cause a bit of drag and as such will run slower.

Don't get me wrong, I'm chuffed to bits with everything she does and rough weather speed is pretty good too

It's just that I wished I'd have put a 200 on the back for a little more economy and a little more speed in the calm stuff.

I would recommend a 150hp something for your 5.8, keep the motor as light as possible and go for an XL leg option which will keep the transom height higher. I guess what make you go for, well that'll depend on who's on the Island to do the servicing. But Opti or Etec would be my favs due to then being lighter.

One other thing I wished I got was some transom legs put in, you have to spec these yourself as they are not fitted and not really needed for standard outboard fitments, it's just in case you want to upgrade the motor at some point.
Wrong installed or wrong prop, a Viper max 6,5m which is a wider hull and longer makes 44knots with a 150. I installed a 150 carburated engine on a 5,8m and had a topspeed of 50knots.

Old 21 March 2010, 07:06   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Before you decide, take a look at this thread:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26149
Cheers, yeah I remembered that one from a while back and had a discussion with Campbell about his performance issues.

I'm also aware from past reading on here that some say the DF140 can be only about 125 but I guess the fact is that smaller engine = less torque pretty much whichever way you cut it, so a smaller engine is always likely to have less razz factor when you firewall the throttle, not to mention higher stresses if you are caning it.

Then again a smaller engine is going to use less fuel toddling along at 20-25kt so I suppose you pays yer money....

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2010, 08:01   #13

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
Wrong installed or wrong prop, a Viper max 6,5m which is a wider hull and longer makes 44knots with a 150. I installed a 150 carburated engine on a 5,8m and had a topspeed of 50knots.
Some of the 'old skool' carbed motors were putting out more than their stated hp. Perhaps that was the case here?
Old 21 March 2010, 09:02   #14

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
Well I expected more too. However I'm really pleased with my package, there is just a little bit of a wish list I have.

When comparing the 6.2 with a 6.5 Vipermax you have to remember the amount of drag the rear of the tubes are having being in the water on the 6.2, I would guess that with would have an effect on the top speed. How much, I don't know!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2010, 09:19   #15

Quote:
Compared with what? The Vipermax has a warped vee hull.
I'm not comparing anything! I'm saying that it takes quite a bit more engine HP to get a Vipermax going.

Quote:
But your 6.2 Vipermax is rated to 150hp max... .
I have no rating plate on my hull. However when I asked a question about uprating the outboard at a later stage, I was told it would accept a 200hp unit and that they knew of a 5.8m with a 225 honda on the back. Only repeating what I was told. However if I was thinking of uprating I would definately call Roy for comformation first.

Quote:
But the downside is a higher centre of gravity with an XL, compared with a longshaft. .
Don't know about the 5.8, but doesn't seem to affect my handling at all.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 21 March 2010, 09:27   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
The 6.2 is rated @ 150 according to the Osprey website.
Old 21 March 2010, 09:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
The 6.2 is rated @ 150 according to the Osprey website.
But as I stated, they seemed to be happy to put a larger outboard on for me when I ordered mine several years ago. Perhaps Roy will be along later to correct me?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 21 March 2010, 09:44   #18

Quote:
But as I stated, they seemed to be happy to put a larger outboard on for me when I ordered mine several years ago. Perhaps Roy will be along later to correct me?
I don't know how useful a 'Roy said' would be in court should an insurance co. be looking for a wriggle-out loophole. Personally, I prefer it in black and white and stamped on a plate fixed to my transom.
Old 21 March 2010, 09:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I don't know how useful a 'Roy said' would be in court should an insurance co. be looking for a wriggle-out loophole. Personally, I prefer it in black and white and stamped on a plate fixed to my transom.
But they don't do Transom mounted "CE rated" plates, do they? All I have on mine is a serial number.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 21 March 2010, 09:53   #20

Quote:
But they don't do Transom mounted "CE rated" plates, do they?
They sure do. Would you like a pic of it?