Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 May 2019, 16:09   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 30
Verado Steering

So prop issues solved and a new issue arises.

With old prop had a fair bit of pull to the right meaning constant correction to port (not just holding wheel to left but having to keep turning more to left to keep her straight). Got worse with new prop. Also feels heavy to left and when I left it centred and tilted up on the trailer it's "fallen" all way over to starboard.

Looking at service records had new lines and rebled a couple of times in last few years.

Starting point was me fluid but not sure what to use. Mercury say ow-30 but the bung is on top of the steering housing so not sure if that's true. Even if ow-30 is correct fluid, where can I get it or what is the alternative?

Part number for recommended fluid is 92-862014q1 but Google doesn't recognise it.
__________________

__________________
Frar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 02:54   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 997
Hi Fraser,,, ( im sure you are) , but are you trimming up enough? You should feel the steering get lighter to the sweet spot. With the Rev4, try the engine one hole up as i suggested . My Merc with normal hydraulic steering also swings over to starboard when trailering but i don't know if this is normal or not (i have some Yank trailering clips that clip over each side on the rams that prevent this )
__________________

__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 00:25   #3
Member
 
Iankristy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: Skua
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki df250 4stroke
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 124
Have you tried adjusting the trim tab just above prop? Itís function is to counter the pulling to one side ?
__________________
Iankristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 10:58   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 30
Jeff. I had misread some online info that suggested raising the engine could increase pull but rereading seems to suggest may cause more pull to port which is good for me. Any thoughts on a DIY way to move a 220kg motor? Blocks of wood and lots of ropes and use the trailer jockey wheel to lower the transom?

Have tried a wide range of trim without obvious success and another job is to recalibrate my trim gauges so I can do it more scientifically.

Lankristy. - Verado doesn't have a trim tab as hydraulic steering is standard as I understand. Could be wrong and it's just missing! Sacrificial anodes are flush to the gearbox.
__________________
Frar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 11:15   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frar View Post
Jeff. I had misread some online info that suggested raising the engine could increase pull but rereading seems to suggest may cause more pull to port which is good for me. Any thoughts on a DIY way to move a 220kg motor? Blocks of wood and lots of ropes and use the trailer jockey wheel to lower the transom?

Have tried a wide range of trim without obvious success and another job is to recalibrate my trim gauges so I can do it more scientifically.

Lankristy. - Verado doesn't have a trim tab as hydraulic steering is standard as I understand. Could be wrong and it's just missing! Sacrificial anodes are flush to the gearbox.
Hi Fraser
Get 3 mates to help - Remove the cowling ( so you have something safer to push against in the final alignment)
Set the trailer on a level surface and reasonably horizontal, and support the motor with a block of wood under the skeg. SLACKEN very slightly the two bolts in the lower slotted holes on the engine saddle bracket. Remove the top two bolts completely. I would then clean out any old sealant
NOW - get one mate to raise the jockey wheel steadily whilst you & no3 watch as the transom lowers to the point where the holes align with the pair below you current position. 'Jiggle' slightly to get the bolts too push through - not forgetting to use a good marine sealant through the transom drillings . You may want to defer this until you have tested her on the water and then redo the sealant in all 4 bolt holes one at a time assuming a successful trial. Dont forget to tighten up the pair of bolts in the slotted holes :-)
....... I am assuming the saddle bracket is the same as any other merc I have owned in this description ?

Enjoy :-)

On trimming out you should feel the steering go lighter as you get to optimum trim ,,,, though if the Verado has power hydraulic steering (?) perhaps this isn't so evident. I am not sure calibration of the trim gauge which is just resetting the bottom and upper limits, will make much difference to accuracy - have you got the trim on your smartcraft set at high resolution ?

EDIT - yep , no trim tab anode on larger Mercs ;-)
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 02:52   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 30
3 mates may be a challenge�� Cost me more in beer than a professional job.

Sounds doable but will have to wait for another week. Clyde estuary calls on Saturday.

Trim gauge seems to be set at zero for the full range of trim and only ticks up once you're tilting. Just make it easier to experiment.

Boats I learned on had a very noticeable sweet spot on trim bother steering and rpm but not finding it so obvious on a rib.
__________________
Frar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 04:06   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,010
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frar View Post
3 mates may be a challenge�� Cost me more in beer than a professional job.

Sounds doable but will have to wait for another week. Clyde estuary calls on Saturday.

Trim gauge seems to be set at zero for the full range of trim and only ticks up once you're tilting. Just make it easier to experiment.

Boats I learned on had a very noticeable sweet spot on trim bother steering and rpm but not finding it so obvious on a rib.


Iíve used the method above several times on my own (no mates) take your time & itís easy. Iím sure I did a ďhow toĒ thread somewhere with photos.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 07:07   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Iíve used the method above several times on my own (no mates) take your time & itís easy. Iím sure I did a ďhow toĒ thread somewhere with photos.
Forever known now as Pikey-no-Mates lol
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 09:15   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 30
Bummer. Thought this was the case. Lower holes not slits... Long bolts in top or bottom and more wiggle?
__________________
Frar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frar View Post
Bummer. Thought this was the case. Lower holes not slits... Long bolts in top or bottom and more wiggle?
Oh B ! just had a look on the Merc parts catalogue website and see your 'problem' ,,,,, just holes :-(

Perhaps your idea of longer (thinner ?) bolts may give you enough movement.

Someone else on here may come along with direct experience & advice

....... best of luck

Jeff
__________________

__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.