Old 10 October 2009, 14:11   #21

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The Evinrude V8 2 stroke was 400hp
That isn't exactly correct is it. You keep quoting it, but the original 3.6 and the later 4.0 litre motors were only ever 300hp from the factory, and were hand grenades waiting to go off.

Some tuning companies such as "second effort" did offer upgrades around the 400hp mark, but weren't a very reliable or useable motor in that state of tune, and were solely aimed at the racing market.
Old 10 October 2009, 16:02   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
That isn't exactly correct is it. You keep quoting it, but the original 3.6 and the later 4.0 litre motors were only ever 300hp from the factory, and were hand grenades waiting to go off.

Some tuning companies such as "second effort" did offer upgrades around the 400hp mark, but weren't a very reliable or useable motor in that state of tune, and were solely aimed at the racing market.

Yes they were only 300hp originally but quite a few were turned out as 400hp - don't know about being bombs waiting to go off as they still change hands for silly money and have an avid following in the USA - if they were that fragile there would be none left by now.

In fact some of them were running at 600hp - now THAT is what I call a grenade waiting to go off.......

Old 11 October 2009, 11:53   #23

Town: Castlegregory
Boat name: Dreamer
Length: 10m +
verado 350 sci

hi all thanks for all the reply's
looks like it's going to bo the suzuki 300dfr because of the fuel, range and weight

RANGE
suzuki 300 92ltr's an hour @55kts avg ,fuel 700ltr = 418nm range
verado 300 104ltr's an hour @55 avg ,fuel 700ltr = 368nm range
verado 350 140ltr's an hour @60kts avg ,fuel 700ltr = 300nm range

FUEL
nomal run for me is only around 200nm so the fuel I would not have to carry so much
suzuki 300 to do 200nm @ 55kts = 335ltr's time 3.36
verado 300 to do 200nm @ 55kts = 379.6ltr's + 44.6ltr time 3.36
verado 350 to do 200nm @ 60kts = 462ltr's + 127ltr time 3.18

WEIGHT
verado 300 extra 44.6ltr =33kg's
verado 350 extra 127ltr = 94kg's

I have being using suzuki since 86 I would love to see suzuki bring out a 350 our even a 400.
I would still like to see a fuel flow chart for a 8/9m rib with a single 350 to see the mid to high fuel burn thanks again for all your help
regards phillip
Old 11 October 2009, 12:16   #24

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworld View Post
hi all thanks for all the reply's
looks like it's going to bo the suzuki 300dfr because of the fuel, range and weight

RANGE
suzuki 300 92ltr's an hour @55kts avg ,fuel 700ltr = 418nm range
verado 300 104ltr's an hour @55 avg ,fuel 700ltr = 368nm range
verado 350 140ltr's an hour @60kts avg ,fuel 700ltr = 300nm range

FUEL
nomal run for me is only around 200nm so the fuel I would not have to carry so much
suzuki 300 to do 200nm @ 55kts = 335ltr's time 3.36
verado 300 to do 200nm @ 55kts = 379.6ltr's + 44.6ltr time 3.36
verado 350 to do 200nm @ 60kts = 462ltr's + 127ltr time 3.18

WEIGHT
verado 300 extra 44.6ltr =33kg's
verado 350 extra 127ltr = 94kg's

I have being using suzuki since 86 I would love to see suzuki bring out a 350 our even a 400.
I would still like to see a fuel flow chart for a 8/9m rib with a single 350 to see the mid to high fuel burn thanks again for all your help
regards phillip
You must go test both engines.....You may change your mind..
All looks very easy on paper..its all about the ride....
Old 11 October 2009, 14:07   #25

verado 350 sci

Hi Tony
because your boat is close to what Iam looking at what is the fuel burn and speed around 4000,4500,5000,5500,6000 & 6500 thanks Tony
regards Phillip
Old 11 October 2009, 15:58   #26

Quote:
Hi Tony
because your boat is close to what Iam looking at what is the fuel burn and speed around 4000,4500,5000,5500,6000 & 6500 thanks Tony
regards Phillip
I will check for you next time I am out..If you are spending that sort of money on a Rib/Engine..Fuel figuers really aren't a priority ....
Old 11 October 2009, 16:18   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I will check for you next time I am out..If you are spending that sort of money on a Rib/Engine..Fuel figuers really aren't a priority ....
Tony you pay 47p a litre for fuel - you may think differently if you have to give an extra £80 an hour to Gordon Brown!!!

I have some very wealthy mates and they ALL hate paying for fuel. One owns 4 petrol stations and is worth quite a few million - he has converted his car to run on neat waste cooking oil which he gets from one of the hotels he owns!!!

His wife gets away with the costs of running 4 race horses though - £15,000 a month..............
Old 11 October 2009, 16:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Tony you pay 47p a litre for fuel - you may think differently if you have to give an extra £80 an hour to Gordon Brown!!!

I have some very wealthy mates and they ALL hate paying for fuel. One owns 4 petrol stations and is worth quite a few million - he has converted his car to run on neat waste cooking oil which he gets from one of the hotels he owns!!!

His wife gets away with the costs of running 4 race horses though - £15,000 a month..............
Petrol is 72p here, so not so cheap. If one can afford to own racing horses, hotels,petrol stations and still have millions in the bank....I think running a 350 is small change...
The 350 is more thirsty than others...but you must try one, to understand that power.....
I believe its for racing aswell....when was the last time you heard Jenson Button say "put a smaller engine in the petrol is a bit expensive.."

Tony
Old 11 October 2009, 16:41   #29

Town: Surrey
Been driving a 300 Verado and a 300 Suzuki all this season.

I do not work for or receive anything from any manufacture so a non bias view -

Verado has a smoother power delivery than the Suzuki, the Suzuki power tends to come in surges.
Verado is a lot quieter/smoother engine, although the Suzuki does give a nice growl at full chat.
Suzuki throttle control is very cheap and nasty compared to the Verado.
Merc props vastly superior to Suzuki and far greater choice.
A personal thing but the Suzuki does look better than the Verado.
Verado comes with a neat steering system in with the price + Optima battery.
Both engines were very reliable with no faults/failures.

A final note every one tends to compare fuel consumption at WOT when in reality (unless you are racing) with 300-350 hp on the back you tend not to run at WOT all the time. To give you some idea I used the 300 Verado for 30 hours, the general cruising speed was 4000rpm but we also did a fair bit of high speed stuff for photo shoots and demonstrations of the boat. The average consumption for the 30 hours was 26 LPH (figures are for a 300 Verado on a 25' 00'' deep V sportsboat with cuddy cabin).
Old 11 October 2009, 19:15   #30

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
but you must try one, to understand that power.....
'Listen' to the man Codders

Mine was only a 275 but power delivery, and the digital throttle and shift was a joy to behold .. and I'd have another in an instant, as said many times, if you are pinching pennies at this point .. you will never 'get it'
Old 11 October 2009, 20:07   #31

verado 350 sci

Hi All
I think you are picking me up wrong I am not woried about the price for fuel but I am worried about the amount of fuel I would have to carry for long distance run's. The new boat I am building will have twin 350ltr under deck tanks with a removeable s/steel 300ltr deck tank for longer runs 1000ltr in total. Its not vaule for money I want more like time out on the water before having to come in and refuel
regards Phillip
Old 12 October 2009, 13:14   #32

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Diesel View Post
Cod, the evinrude was impressive...when it ran right! I thought they were only 300hp off the shelf? Still holds the world speed record for outboard power which must mean its gutsy.
Which world record is that?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 15:22   #33

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Still holds the world speed record for outboard power which must mean its gutsy.
You can't really compare that to a std motor, apart from the mods, it was I think also running nitrous.
Old 12 October 2009, 18:15   #34

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
dose all this HP CC LPH mines bigger than yours realy matter
if you are going to cruise then buy DERV or twin 4stroke out board
If you want big bangs for big bucks then dose it matter if its a Verado 350
Merc XS or what ever. for me to go Chichester to Gurnsey and back
costs £400 and thats not flat out. if you can aford to spend 70K plus on a rib then £200 or £300 extra is no big deal realy. its horses for courses.
1000lts of petrol on a 8.5 rib is a bit volatale plus with all that extra weight and if its a crusing rib then the sort of ports you might go to might not have petrol at the quay side like alderney, just a thought
Old 12 October 2009, 18:25   #35

Town: Stornoway
Make: Scorpion 8.1 mk2
Engine: Yamaha F300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Which world record is that?
Cookee, I Think it was set in 1986, 176mph with a seriously modified Evinrude V8, 620hp, 10,000rpm. Heres a link. http://www.bassracer.com/index.php?o...tid=7&id=11902
Perhaps this isnt current tho and the record has since been broken? Its funny you don't see, hear or read much about it?; You'd think evinrude would brag about it in there famous commercials

Robbie
Old 12 October 2009, 21:52   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
The new boat I am building will have twin 350ltr under deck tanks with a removeable s/steel 300ltr deck tank for longer runs 1000ltr in total. Its not vaule for money I want more like time out on the water before having to come in and refuel
regards Phillip
That's one helluva boat Phillip! Will there be much cargo space on her?

Old 13 October 2009, 01:02   #37

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
Quote:
I agree with codprawn in that these big outboards arent really a huge leap forward in fuel economy savings over the last of the EFI 2 strokes. I just wish someone would come up with a Turbo Diesel outboard using a modern all alluminium high tech car based engine. (Most car manufacturers are squeezing more power out of their diesels than similar sized petrol units!) Take a look at the Volvo Penta website for figures, A Volvo-Penta D12 makes 715hp burning the same 140litres an hour as that 350 Verado.! and if you take their closest hp engine to the Verado 350, probably the D6-330hp, it only uses 70 litres an hour flat out! Thats half!!!

Its a no brainer, TDCI outboards would give us instant fuel consumption savings of 30-50%.

I'm sure some of the big Outboard manufacterers are already working at it behind closed doors. Roll on
Most large(ish) marine diesels are based on truck engines, yet far exceed the power output of their roadbound cousins. IVECOs largest on-highway truck engine the Cursor 13 puts out about 500bhp, yet in a pleasure boat application that is 825. Big stuff I know, but the FIAT 2.0 litre motor, also used by Vauxhall and Saab is developing somewhere in the region of 200 horses. Of more interest to an outboard application would be the 1.6 and 1.3 Multijet versions. In a car, the 1.3 MJ which is a DOHC 16 valve variable geometry turbo is produced in some models in a 105bhp variation. As most of the big engines from 6 litres upwards are making between 50 and 75% more than the roadgoing derivatives, that would suggest a (theoretical anyway) 157 to 183 bhp.

There is already a marine version of the 2.4 litre 5-cylinder FIAT/Alfa turbo diesel that puts out 250hp.

When the Multiair petrol engines come out later this year, this new technology will give a 10% reduction in all emissions, a 10% increase in power and a 15% increase in torque. When Multiair diesel engines appear later they will enable them to satisfy Euro 6 standards without the need for any additional treatment such as AdBlue.

Just some thoughts for the future.

I'm going to lie down now in a darkened room.
Old 13 October 2009, 06:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
dose all this HP CC LPH mines bigger than yours realy matter
if you are going to cruise then buy DERV or twin 4stroke out board
If you want big bangs for big bucks then dose it matter if its a Verado 350
Merc XS or what ever. for me to go Chichester to Gurnsey and back
costs £400 and thats not flat out. if you can aford to spend 70K plus on a rib then £200 or £300 extra is no big deal realy. its horses for courses.
1000lts of petrol on a 8.5 rib is a bit volatale plus with all that extra weight and if its a crusing rib then the sort of ports you might go to might not have petrol at the quay side like alderney, just a thought
Thats a heck of a lot of fuel to use for a 200 mile trip?
Old 13 October 2009, 06:41   #39

Boat name: SOLD
It was rough but it is a real world figure
full to the brim when we left refuel at gurnsey and divide the milage on the chart ploter by the lts we put in
Old 13 October 2009, 07:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
It was rough but it is a real world figure
full to the brim when we left refuel at gurnsey and divide the milage on the chart ploter by the lts we put in
Thats interesting..Last time we did a UK trip we had the verado 300 on the back. It was f4+ we used 110ltrs from Guernsey to Warsash = £79.00 in Guernsey money