Old 11 October 2009, 16:07   #31

Town: Castlegregory
Boat name: Dreamer
Length: 10m +
verado 350 sci

Hi All
I think you are picking me up wrong I am not woried about the price for fuel but I am worried about the amount of fuel I would have to carry for long distance run's. The new boat I am building will have twin 350ltr under deck tanks with a removeable s/steel 300ltr deck tank for longer runs 1000ltr in total. Its not vaule for money I want more like time out on the water before having to come in and refuel
regards Phillip

Old 12 October 2009, 09:14   #32

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Diesel View Post
Cod, the evinrude was impressive...when it ran right! I thought they were only 300hp off the shelf? Still holds the world speed record for outboard power which must mean its gutsy.
Which world record is that?

Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 11:22   #33

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Still holds the world speed record for outboard power which must mean its gutsy.
You can't really compare that to a std motor, apart from the mods, it was I think also running nitrous.
Old 12 October 2009, 14:15   #34

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
dose all this HP CC LPH mines bigger than yours realy matter
if you are going to cruise then buy DERV or twin 4stroke out board
If you want big bangs for big bucks then dose it matter if its a Verado 350
Merc XS or what ever. for me to go Chichester to Gurnsey and back
costs 400 and thats not flat out. if you can aford to spend 70K plus on a rib then 200 or 300 extra is no big deal realy. its horses for courses.
1000lts of petrol on a 8.5 rib is a bit volatale plus with all that extra weight and if its a crusing rib then the sort of ports you might go to might not have petrol at the quay side like alderney, just a thought
Old 12 October 2009, 14:25   #35

Town: Stornoway
Make: Scorpion 8.1 mk2
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yam F250 4.2 Litre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Which world record is that?
Cookee, I Think it was set in 1986, 176mph with a seriously modified Evinrude V8, 620hp, 10,000rpm. Heres a link. http://www.bassracer.com/index.php?o...tid=7&id=11902
Perhaps this isnt current tho and the record has since been broken? Its funny you don't see, hear or read much about it?; You'd think evinrude would brag about it in there famous commercials

Robbie
Old 12 October 2009, 17:52   #36
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworld View Post
The new boat I am building will have twin 350ltr under deck tanks with a removeable s/steel 300ltr deck tank for longer runs 1000ltr in total. Its not vaule for money I want more like time out on the water before having to come in and refuel
regards Phillip
That's one helluva boat Phillip! Will there be much cargo space on her?

Old 12 October 2009, 21:02   #37

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
Quote:
I agree with codprawn in that these big outboards arent really a huge leap forward in fuel economy savings over the last of the EFI 2 strokes. I just wish someone would come up with a Turbo Diesel outboard using a modern all alluminium high tech car based engine. (Most car manufacturers are squeezing more power out of their diesels than similar sized petrol units!) Take a look at the Volvo Penta website for figures, A Volvo-Penta D12 makes 715hp burning the same 140litres an hour as that 350 Verado.! and if you take their closest hp engine to the Verado 350, probably the D6-330hp, it only uses 70 litres an hour flat out! Thats half!!!

Its a no brainer, TDCI outboards would give us instant fuel consumption savings of 30-50%.

I'm sure some of the big Outboard manufacterers are already working at it behind closed doors. Roll on
Most large(ish) marine diesels are based on truck engines, yet far exceed the power output of their roadbound cousins. IVECOs largest on-highway truck engine the Cursor 13 puts out about 500bhp, yet in a pleasure boat application that is 825. Big stuff I know, but the FIAT 2.0 litre motor, also used by Vauxhall and Saab is developing somewhere in the region of 200 horses. Of more interest to an outboard application would be the 1.6 and 1.3 Multijet versions. In a car, the 1.3 MJ which is a DOHC 16 valve variable geometry turbo is produced in some models in a 105bhp variation. As most of the big engines from 6 litres upwards are making between 50 and 75% more than the roadgoing derivatives, that would suggest a (theoretical anyway) 157 to 183 bhp.

There is already a marine version of the 2.4 litre 5-cylinder FIAT/Alfa turbo diesel that puts out 250hp.

When the Multiair petrol engines come out later this year, this new technology will give a 10% reduction in all emissions, a 10% increase in power and a 15% increase in torque. When Multiair diesel engines appear later they will enable them to satisfy Euro 6 standards without the need for any additional treatment such as AdBlue.

Just some thoughts for the future.

I'm going to lie down now in a darkened room.
Old 13 October 2009, 02:01   #38

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
dose all this HP CC LPH mines bigger than yours realy matter
if you are going to cruise then buy DERV or twin 4stroke out board
If you want big bangs for big bucks then dose it matter if its a Verado 350
Merc XS or what ever. for me to go Chichester to Gurnsey and back
costs 400 and thats not flat out. if you can aford to spend 70K plus on a rib then 200 or 300 extra is no big deal realy. its horses for courses.
1000lts of petrol on a 8.5 rib is a bit volatale plus with all that extra weight and if its a crusing rib then the sort of ports you might go to might not have petrol at the quay side like alderney, just a thought
Thats a heck of a lot of fuel to use for a 200 mile trip?
Old 13 October 2009, 02:41   #39

Boat name: SOLD
It was rough but it is a real world figure
full to the brim when we left refuel at gurnsey and divide the milage on the chart ploter by the lts we put in
Old 13 October 2009, 03:22   #40

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
It was rough but it is a real world figure
full to the brim when we left refuel at gurnsey and divide the milage on the chart ploter by the lts we put in
Thats interesting..Last time we did a UK trip we had the verado 300 on the back. It was f4+ we used 110ltrs from Guernsey to Warsash = 79.00 in Guernsey money