Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 30 July 2003, 16:32   #1

Boat name: Sea Dog
Make: Avon
Length: 4
Engine: Outboard, Merc' 25hp
Upgrade from tiller steering to cable

Hi everyone, I've been following the forums for a while and the info' here is always of interest. First off, I don't need to upgrade to a RIB I have a part share in a 5.8m Narwhal, but it is to much to launch if there are just three of us. So I also have a 4m Avon Sport Boat (SIB). At the moment the Fish finder, radio and battery box are mounted on the A frame which works fine, but is uncomfortable on the driver. Can anyone advise me on the following: I want to change the Tiller steering on the 25hp Merc to a cable and steering wheel. Also I would have to change the throttle to a cable system with a remote throttle on the jockey console. Is it worth considering or should I stay with what I have?
Old 30 July 2003, 21:42   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
You see I told you there were a lot of closet SIBbers out there!

Keith (too late for Orkney I suppose Dave) Hart
Old 07 August 2003, 12:22   #3

Hey guys, I thought there would be no shortage of help/comment regarding my queries. Can't anyone help?
Old 07 August 2003, 12:45   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Dave - this probably down to personal choice and budget. I looked at this option last year for my hard floored SIB, then decided to save the cash and save it towards a RIB.

It will not be cheap - I looked at a system from International Marine Supplies http://www.internationalmarinesupplies.co.uk Tel: +44 (0)1427 617845 - but don't forget to add up the cost of all the components - (cable) steering kit, wheel and mount pedestal/console, and the throttle/gear remotes, along with any electrical work (are you man or elec start?).

Alternatively, you could get the Narwhal and it's trailer rigged for single person launching?
Old 16 August 2003, 11:04   #5

Thanks Richard,

I realise I am going to some expense here, but my family LOVE this boat. I intend to build my own consol, and I believe the steering won't be much of a problem to change. However I am concerned about taking the tiller off and fitting a remote side mounted throttle. So any comments on this would be appreciated.
The motor is a rope pull start, which I don't intend to change.
Old 16 August 2003, 20:54   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Dave, go for a quicksilver side thottle unit (second hand) which should be about £50 in working order. (If wavehumper hasn't bought them all up). Carefully take all the electrics out and sell them on. Cables are about £15 each depending on length and are normally morse 33's I think, they are industry standard. You will need a couple of little widgets to attach the cables to the engine but a Mariner or Merc dealer should be able to sort those. Shop around for the steering, some chandlers do a complete set for £99. Probably not worth the agro of second hand stuff at that price as steering cables only last about 5 years at best because you can't grease them

Size the console for two red fuel tanks. Or have a chat with Pembrokshire Yachts in Neyland, Pembroke they used to make consoles for all Narwal imported into this country.

pete