Old 27 August 2005, 11:18   #21

Length: no boat
Interestingly, and on the subject of Tesco (again) I understand from a contact in the refining business that:

"EN228 (Petrol) allows for 5% ethanol and most Tesco petrol has ethanol in it as does all fuel in France."

This would enhance the performance of standard petrol by raising the octane level.

On diesel: "Fuel specs - EN590 (diesel) allows 5% biodiesel to be blended in (without you needing to know). The biodiesel component gets a 20p/l duty reduction so at 5% it is 1p/l cheaper before blending costs (about 2p/l) so hence why Tesco Gloabl diesel at 1p/l more expensive. Rapeseed is the main diesel crop"

So the premium diesel product at Tesco would appear to be 5% BIO.

There was a school of thought that said that Tesco fuel products were either the same as everyone elses, or, that it was at best, a weak brew. The more we look into this matter it would seem that the opposite is true and that Tesco's products are superior to some of the major oil companies.

Old 27 August 2005, 16:16   #22

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
5% ethanol and most Tesco petrol has ethanol in it as does all fuel in France.
Seeing as I have just filled up at Esso for the run to Dunkerque, does this mean it will be quicker coming back

Tim'mers.

Old 28 August 2005, 02:20   #23

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
Some interesting technical information:

www.smartsrus.com/What%20is%20Shell%20Optimax.doc

http://www.millersoils.net/pdf_downl..._explained.pdf
Old 30 August 2005, 03:27   #24
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
[QUOTE=hard1]
On diesel: "Fuel specs - EN590 (diesel) allows 5% biodiesel to be blended in (without you needing to know). The biodiesel component gets a 20p/l duty reduction so at 5% it is 1p/l cheaper before blending costs (about 2p/l) so hence why Tesco Gloabl diesel at 1p/l more expensive. Rapeseed is the main diesel crop"

So the premium diesel product at Tesco would appear to be 5% BIO. /QUOTE]

But my Audi handbook says don't even think about putting biodiesel anywhere near the engine otherwise it will throw its toys out of the pram!!!

Therefore I've been putting biodiesel in the car unknowingly! Thats not a very fair thing to do!

Chris
Old 30 August 2005, 07:10   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
[QUOTE=CJL]
Quote:

So the premium diesel product at Tesco would appear to be 5% BIO. /QUOTE]

But my Audi handbook says don't even think about putting biodiesel anywhere near the engine otherwise it will throw its toys out of the pram!!!

Therefore I've been putting biodiesel in the car unknowingly! Thats not a very fair thing to do!

Chris

The makers are always over cautious - they say no bio because some people will run it on 100% veg oil.
Old 30 August 2005, 07:48   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
So the premium diesel product at Tesco would appear to be 5% BIO.

There was a school of thought that said that Tesco fuel products were either the same as everyone elses, or, that it was at best, a weak brew. The more we look into this matter it would seem that the opposite is true and that Tesco's products are superior to some of the major oil companies.
No it aint buddy it comes out of the same tanks as every other supermarket! and Texaco and Gulf and Total.

Tesco are having a lot of trouble with bio doesel at the momnent they are piloting it in a few stations and are having to settle more claims for engine failure than they want to, Big research programme going on to try and iron the problem out!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2005, 15:54   #27

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
No it aint buddy it comes out of the same tanks as every other supermarket! and Texaco and Gulf and Total.

Tesco are having a lot of trouble with bio doesel at the momnent they are piloting it in a few stations and are having to settle more claims for engine failure than they want to, Big research programme going on to try and iron the problem out!

Wow - whats the problem with biodiesel and engines failure ?? I understood that the reason many manufacturers warned people off biodiesel was that it can perish rubber pipes and hoses ???
Old 01 September 2005, 05:18   #28

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
It has ben narrowed down to the fuel disolving the lining of the storage tanks at the terminal........and therefore coming out kludgy they are working on it and will get it sorted.!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2005, 06:53   #29

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
So excuse me for being dim or missing something. How is it wrecking engines? are they being clogged up by dirt or sludge, or is the bio oil eating away at the plumbing?

As a point, what is the lining of these tanks made of? Bio must be pretty nasty stuff if it can dissolve a petro chemical plant!!
Old 01 September 2005, 10:32   #30

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
bio diesel is already in use - certainly in several cities on the continent for public transport vehicles.

there's a lot of stuff about biodiesel on the web for anybody who interested in finding out - if for no other reason than to add new bullsh*t to what's already here...

re makers warranties - whatever happened to this :

quote:
1995: International Automobile Fair in Frankfurt: Communication of the CEO of the
VOLKSWAGEN AG, Dr. Ferdinand Piƫch, to support Biodiesel and to assure the provisions of warranties for nearly all the Diesel models including the brands AUDI, SEAT, SKODA and VOLKSWAGEN
from construction year 1996 onwards, valid for all European countries and beyond

I suspect a lot of the negatives we hear about Biodiesel is scaremongering and bad propoganda from the vested interests....

interesting pieve of trivia though - only very recently, the price of crude oil has exceeded the price of vegetable oil - maybe simple economics will help turn the tide...