Old 01 August 2008, 08:42   #1

Length: 3m +
Understanding Trim

or not as the case may be!
Hi all, excellent forum!
I have a wetline 260 ECO and a 4hp Yamaha outboard and am just getting used to the idea of being on a boat that propel itself!
Generally I run it with just myself or one other person. One thing I still am not sure of is the trim, which hole I should use and whether it makes much difference give the engine size I have.
Any info you could lend me would be great
Thanks in Advance.
Mark
Old 01 August 2008, 09:01   #2

Town: athens - greece
Boat name: ecstasea
Make: barracuda
Length: 7m +
big or small it is still a boat!

i would suggest that you kept your engine at the most vertical position. after that you might have to orect about 1 or even two holes depending on the load and your boat's hull.

you should see a difference in speed as well as in the quality of its behavior.
barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2008, 13:19   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthorn View Post
or not as the case may be!
Hi all, excellent forum!
I have a wetline 260 ECO and a 4hp Yamaha outboard and am just getting used to the idea of being on a boat that propel itself!
Generally I run it with just myself or one other person. One thing I still am not sure of is the trim, which hole I should use and whether it makes much difference give the engine size I have.
Any info you could lend me would be great
Thanks in Advance.
Mark
There are 2 issues for best boat/engine performance, the height of the sib's bottom with respect to the anticavitation plate (the big plate over the prop) must be generally 3 to 5 cm from each other, the other issue put your trim angle so that the engine is in 90º with respect of the sib's bottom, generally 1 or 2 hole from transom. This angle must be maintained while the sib is planing, balance the interior weight (pals, gear, etc) properly from center towards the bow. This information is in the engine owners manual and each engine brand recommended tail height/trim angle is available there, so take your time to read all the manual if you are not a experinced sibber.

As we do not know your weight, will doubt if with a small 4 HP engine you will be able to plane such a small 260 sib. Try to sit inside the sib, place your weight amidship towards the bow with your arm extended in a comfortable steering position, full throthle until the sib planes, if this happens reduce throtthle to 3/4 maintain planing. If not, better cruise at a throttle position that will move your boat at the most horizontal water level to avoid excesive water drag against the hull which will tend to slow you down.

I preffer to cruise non planing small engine/sib configurations throttleing the sib to roll flat on water than to throtttle more having the bow tending to go up difficulting front visibility. See what throttle position suits your cruise mood best. Tiller extension, a good idea, but before buying it, try best interior sib's tiller driving position.

Happy Sibbing
Old 01 August 2008, 13:57   #4

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Buy a cheap tiller extension and move your weight amidships. This will stop the transom dragging and you will proceed quicker and straighter.
Old 01 August 2008, 23:20   #5

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
My little 2.7 waveline seems to be best with the tohatsu 3.5 one notch out , or in he case of this motor that the middle notch as it only has 3

Its easy to meve wieght forward but if the bow is ploughing then its trimmed in too much .

As baracuda says the motor is about vertical