Old 25 January 2016, 08:07   #11

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
Finally fixed it! Tried cleaning the carbs again. Guitar strings and carb cleaner spray seemed to be pretty good, but not convinced of any blockage. Tested the carbs on the electric fuel pump with the float chamber drain plug out. One filled, two did not. So I stripped and cleaned them again, and again. Finally I figured out that the previous owner had assembled two of the carbs with the floats upside down and so the float valve could not open when the carb was assembled!

If I were doing it again I would start with taking the carb drain plugs out and pumping the primer bulb to see if any fuel comes out! I think this would be a useful test with many multi-carb engines.

Anyway - thank you for all your help and advice!

David
Jamming stuff down the jets tends to enlarge/erode the soft brass orifices, which causes the outboard to run rich / unevenly.

Old 25 January 2016, 08:16   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Finally fixed it! Tried cleaning the carbs again. Guitar strings and carb cleaner spray seemed to be pretty good, but not convinced of any blockage. Tested the carbs on the electric fuel pump with the float chamber drain plug out. One filled, two did not. So I stripped and cleaned them again, and again. Finally I figured out that the previous owner had assembled two of the carbs with the floats upside down and so the float valve could not open when the carb was assembled!

If I were doing it again I would start with taking the carb drain plugs out and pumping the primer bulb to see if any fuel comes out! I think this would be a useful test with many multi-carb engines.

Anyway - thank you for all your help and advice!

David
bugger when that happens glad you got sorted.
an old bloke i worked under allways told me process of elimination lad start at the bigining.

Old 25 January 2016, 08:23   #13

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
No risk of damage to jets in this case as I was just clearing/checking the fuel way in the carb body between the inlet and the float valve. Interestingly, the specific jet cleaners that I bought from ebay and didn't use were far more abrasive, like tiny files, rather than guitar strings, which were round wound with bronze wire...
Old 25 January 2016, 08:56   #14

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
No risk of damage to jets in this case as I was just clearing/checking the fuel way in the carb body between the inlet and the float valve. Interestingly, the specific jet cleaners that I bought from ebay and didn't use were far more abrasive, like tiny files, rather than guitar strings, which were round wound with bronze wire...
I prefer chemicals. I have owned far too many vehicles with permanently messed up stoichiometry due to eroded jets.

My solution is always the same:
  1. Replace all rubber items
  2. Replace jets
  3. Adjust float
  4. Install 10 micron fuel filter