Old 06 May 2004, 23:06   #11
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Yamaha now have a 150HP fourstroke, only weighs about 20Kg more than 150HP opti-max.
Old 06 May 2004, 23:18   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Only 20Kg? Thats 10% more, and 5Kg less than a 225opti.

Anyone know the RRP? I reckon (guessing) £14k.

I'm not trying to dismiss 4-strokes, they have an application and it's nice to have a gap in the 4stroke market filled but i don't think you could put a 4-stroke 150 on a 6metre boat.
Old 06 May 2004, 23:33   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Most four strokes weight 10% more then equivalent 2 strokes. My 60 4/ weighs 11kg more than my old 2/ 60.

Yamaha 150 4 stroke costs 10k inc VAT. If I had the money i'd have one on the back of a 585 ribcraft/tornado.
Old 07 May 2004, 01:36   #14

Town: Fareham
For what it's worth, I was once told that 2s don't like extended tickover/low revs. something about varnishing of the cylinder bores. What I was told was that the petrol and oil mix sticks to the bore of the cylinder and makes an increadibly hard carbon/hydrocarbon layer that makes the compression drop because the gases/fuel air mix gets past the seal the piston rings make, stopping the engine and preventing startup. If this did happen the fix was to remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil into the piston (to increase compression), re-insert spark plug and when the engine fired give it WOT and this would burn off this varnish after a while.

I guess it makes some cense, but I'm yet to witness it myself so might be a load of twoddle, a quick call to an outboard service centre would probably tell you more though.

If it's true.........I guess 4 strokes then!

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 06:00   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I can't believe that people on this thred are reccomending a 150 4 stroke over an Optimax 150. I bet they never owned and operated either!

If you are staying in a river or the throttle frightens you then get a 4 stroke. personally I don't buy a v6 to use on a river, If you want to make your spine tingle then get an Opti.

Most people that recomend Suzuki's haven't owned or used one, they just got turned on by the brochure and have one on order or not. So the opinion is not based on personal experience. (Alex B does have and use one)

Most people that recomend Opti's have em and are on the water a lot of the time. So they get used. Also I can't recall any Optiowner slagging them off.

At the end it comes down to power to weight. cost per horsepower and consumption. Optimax's are very frugal and anybody that says different is talking bollix. All engines are thirsty at full chat how does 77 litres per hour grab you from a new 4 stroke yamaha 225.

The only way I would consider buying a four stroke is if I was sponsored!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 06:59   #16

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Rogue? I feel there may be a teensy-weensy bit of over reaction in your response! I have read over the posts in this thread several times and can only find one person recommending a Suzy (without owning one). Several people seem to be leaning towards Happymax.... I know that top Banana's outfit flies... quite literally.
Has a Suzy owner upset you recently? I've heard that they're all a bunch of smug bastards.... but if you want to upset them ask about fuel economy....77 litres per hour at full chat sounds quite good to me.. and I should know...
Old 07 May 2004, 07:33   #17

I'd be interested to know the WOT consumption of a big 4stroke. Of couse because few people except us Optimax owners are blessed with 'SmartCraft' i'm unlikely tyo find out. WOT see's 5200rpm with my current set-up and cunsumption is nearly 60lph, which i thought to be rather alarming.

Reading between the lines the Suk 4-s boys are getting worse consumption??? This of course is not a fair comparism, they are 250's and pushing a bigger boat. Anyone with a Sujuki 140 or even a Yam 115 ... any idea's?
Old 07 May 2004, 07:35   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Rogue? I feel there may be a teensy-weensy bit of over reaction in your response! I have read over the posts in this thread several times and can only find one person recommending a Suzy (without owning one). Several people seem to be leaning towards Happymax.... I know that top Banana's outfit flies... quite literally.
Has a Suzy owner upset you recently? I've heard that they're all a bunch of smug bastards.... but if you want to upset them ask about fuel economy....77 litres per hour at full chat sounds quite good to me.. and I should know...

Hi Jono

I wouldn't describe you as smug!

nah nobody's upset me and I don't have a beef with Suzuki's per se. I just found over the last year that most advice for Suzuki's was derived from opinion rather than experience and in my world there ain't no substitute for experience. Most of the owners that were signing the praises were awiting delivery and I feel that an opinion on an engine has more creedence after the honeymoon period is over (say 100 hours)

I am aware of the OEM prices that Suzuki are offering and if I was making a rib wild horses wouldn't stop from supplying a Suzuli engine as the profit marging is lucrative. I imagine we'll be seeing more of em about soon so maybe at the end of next season I'll start paying attention to what people have to say about em

The prime motivator for the advice to go 4 stroke is fuel economy and I think that is a falacy and there is little difference between a high pressure two stroke and a four stroke in terms of consumption

what kind of figures are you getting or isn't it run in yet?

cheers
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 07:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Hi Jono
The prime motivator for the advice to go 4 stroke is fuel economy
I disagree, it's noise level and ability to tick over for long periods of time - add this to no requirment for oil and it's still an attractive option even if there is no consumption advantage.
Old 07 May 2004, 08:09   #20

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave

The prime motivator for the advice to go 4 stroke is fuel economy and I think that is a falacy and there is little difference between a high pressure two stroke and a four stroke in terms of consumption

cheers
In a side by side test a honda 130 used the same amount of fuel as a Mariner 150 v6 2 stroke with a 10 knot les top speed which was a little scary. (Rogues Camel Rib and my Ribtec 6.5m) so I agree.

But I think the role of the rib should dictate what engine is best suited. The safety boat following wind surfers around a bay all day would suit a 4 stroke. The heavily loaded dive boat were weight is critical then 2 stoke injection for my money. Less clear is the 5.5 - 6m family rib used for cruising and fun. Perhaps there isn't an answer and its horse for courses.

Pete