Old 29 September 2016, 00:51   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Non return valve fails, bulb gets holes in & go hard so no suction.

Old 29 September 2016, 07:34   #12

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
I had no idea how much of a potential failure point the bulb was. Duly noted, thanks

Old 29 September 2016, 13:03   #13

Town: London
Make: Hon wave 3.2 IE
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Duly noted too, Simonafloat are you proposing to take both outboard and aux when you go out and if yes what are your storage plans for the aux..?

I took my 2.2 Yam out with me the last time I went out, sort of clumsily protected the sharp bits and lashed it down with bungees but it was a far from elegant solution. The 2.2 does have an integral fuel tank so I suppose one less problem but more in another should I find that running out, trying to decant on rolling waves doesn't sound like much fun
Old 29 September 2016, 16:00   #14

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
Duly noted too, Simonafloat are you proposing to take both outboard and aux when you go out and if yes what are your storage plans for the aux..?

I took my 2.2 Yam out with me the last time I went out, sort of clumsily protected the sharp bits and lashed it down with bungees but it was a far from elegant solution. The 2.2 does have an integral fuel tank so I suppose one less problem but more in another should I find that running out, trying to decant on rolling waves doesn't sound like much fun
The johnson I have bought doesnt have an integral tank. I am hoping there is just enough space on the aerotec transom for bith engines, even if the main engine has to be shuffled across if I need to switch to the aux. My aerotec is the 420 which has a flat transom top all the way across so should be easier. Will be a squeeze though. But we'll also be just using the johnson on its own for leisurely cruises upstream and elsewhere. Want to explore the grand western canal and they dont allow more than a certain % hp versus boat length. Cant remember the precise figure but our 15hp was way over the ratio
Old 02 October 2016, 05:44   #15

Town: London
Make: Hon wave 3.2 IE
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Maybe with the 420 you'd have enough width for both to be transom mounted which would be luxury in my book :-) I think if I ever went for a more serious mounting approach it would be along the lines of Kaman Need for an auxiliary engine on a SIB??? and this mounted aux. Other thoughts have been to make use of the bow with a sheet of ply, once in place all manner of fixings can be used, more assembly time being the compromise