Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
What Pikey said Jason the ladder will be causing some drag.

Whats the weather like in Malta at the moment Jason ?
Old 17 August 2014, 19:49   #22

Town: Malta
Boat name: DeltaBay
Make: DeltaBay
Engine: IHonda BF90D
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
What Pikey said Jason the ladder will be causing some drag.

Whats the weather like in Malta at the moment Jason ?
I will remove the ladder and try without. the weather isn't so good this summer we are having a lot of wind and rough sea that makes you feel sick sometimes.
Old 17 August 2014, 20:09   #23

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason calleja View Post
I will remove the ladder and try without. the weather isn't so good this summer we are having a lot of wind and rough sea that makes you feel sick sometimes.
At least you have got plenty sheltered places to go boating and fishing inside the harbour walls
Old 17 August 2014, 22:47   #24

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I agree with the rest. Mount the ladder higher up, so it is well clear of the water while under way. I, too, think that's the source of your problem.

Just an observation. I see your propeller is black. Both the Honda propellers I had were the same colour as the engine and stamped Honda. Is yours a Honda prop?
Old 18 August 2014, 12:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
I agree with the rest. Mount the ladder higher up, so it is well clear of the water while under way. I, too, think that's the source of your problem.

Just an observation. I see your propeller is black. Both the Honda propellers I had were the same colour as the engine and stamped Honda. Is yours a Honda prop?
yes I will try it without the ladder. and yes the prop was with the engine from the agent but the prop was packed and labelled Honda marina solas
which I believe it is made from Solas for Honda
Old 19 August 2014, 13:46   #26

hi all I went to do some modification to the ladder and I gave a good look to the transom and noticed that the ladder is above of the hull and the cav plate. now I am confused if the ladder is causing the problem of ventilated prop. I know that when I am on plane the ladder hits the water as it splashes a lot of water. I have take the part no on the prop can some one tell me what is the brand of it by the part no?

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20140819_144531.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	98071[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140819_144519.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	98070  
Old 19 August 2014, 14:47   #27

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Jason,

if you turn the prop so one of the blades is top - what is the clearance (space) between the blade tip and the bottom of the cav plate? YOu might be suffering from the same problem as I did when I bought my boat.

It might be an illusion from the angle of your picture, but I had a similar thing to what you describe on a Yam 55 which came with my boat. - Yam sold a prop called a a "speed" prop - it had reduced diameter for less prop drag, so the engine's power could go to spinning a higher pitch to push the boat along faster.

That theory worked fine with a light weight flat bottom "skimming" hull, but I had this on the back of a 5m 1/2 ton rib!

The prop didnlt have enough blade area to "grip" the water, so it let go like you describe when I opened the throttle too far. It also let go at every third wave, if I turned too quickly...

What number is stamped on the prop? Normally that will give a clue to diameter as well as pitch.

I had a similar (bit not so spectacular) problem when I put the Merc on the transom. it had a 10.5" dia prop - 14" pitch. Over revved nicely (and let go if I pushed it hard in big waves.) replaced with another 14" pitch but 11" dia. It now never lets go, and the engine feels like it's connected "solidly" to the water.

All of that because the engines were on ligher / less drag inducing boats before I got them.
Old 19 August 2014, 17:22   #28

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Either way that ladder is just wrong as it shouldn't extend anywhere near the bottom of the hull. Take it off and go for a boat ride. Then you will know!

The other option is to take a clear video of the ladder/motor at speed and see if there is something noticeable. The ladder doesn't look exactly easy to remove.
Old 24 August 2014, 12:52   #29

Name:	20140823_120623.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	98228 I have take a picture so you can see the distance of the prop.

if you turn the prop so one of the blades is top - what is the clearance (space) between the blade tip and the bottom of the cav plate? YOu might be suffering from the same problem as I did when I bought my boat.

It might be an illusion from the angle of your picture, but I had a similar thing to what you describe on a Yam 55 which came with my boat. - Yam sold a prop called a a "speed" prop - it had reduced diameter for less prop drag, so the engine's power could go to spinning a higher pitch to push the boat along faster.

That theory worked fine with a light weight flat bottom "skimming" hull, but I had this on the back of a 5m 1/2 ton rib!

The prop didnlt have enough blade area to "grip" the water, so it let go like you describe when I opened the throttle too far. It also let go at every third wave, if I turned too quickly...

What number is stamped on the prop? Normally that will give a clue to diameter as well as pitch.

I had a similar (bit not so spectacular) problem when I put the Merc on the transom. it had a 10.5" dia prop - 14" pitch. Over revved nicely (and let go if I pushed it hard in big waves.) replaced with another 14" pitch but 11" dia. It now never lets go, and the engine feels like it's connected "solidly" to the water.

All of that because the engines were on ligher / less drag inducing boats before I got them.[/QUOTE]
Old 25 August 2014, 12:28   #30

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Jason,

That is perceptively the same sort of gap I had on both the Merc & the Yam when I got them. I reckon you could go up a bit in diameter and probably solve the "letting go" problems.

Just remember that bigger diametrer = a bit more drag, so you may need to go down in pitch as well, but if it solves the grip issue you can play with the pitch afterwards - the effect of altering pitch can be estimated fairly well - diamter is a "try it and see" job.
Old 10 September 2014, 19:28   #31

hi I have finally tried the rib after I have cut the ladder and I can tell you that everything is ok so it was the ladder the problem not the prop and it was a nice ride although it was going to end with a tragedy but thanks good all finished well as while I was coming back to the home port at a speed of 27knts the steering cable have broken and it end it that my daughter was rejected from the rib in to water but thanks good she was not with the lifejacket as if it was so the motor will have ended passing on her but thanks good again she was under water when the motor at 4000rpm passed on her. I could not gust imagine what have could been the end. now I have to check if the cable is included with the guarantee as it was supplied with the rib as if it it is so they will have to pay for all the damage that was caused by the faulty cable
Old 12 September 2014, 08:20   #32

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason calleja View Post
hi I have finally tried the rib after I have cut the ladder and I can tell you that everything is ok so it was the ladder the problem not the prop and it was a nice ride although it was going to end with a tragedy but thanks good all finished well as while I was coming back to the home port at a speed of 27knts the steering cable have broken and it end it that my daughter was rejected from the rib in to water but thanks good she was not with the lifejacket as if it was so the motor will have ended passing on her but thanks good again she was under water when the motor at 4000rpm passed on her. I could not gust imagine what have could been the end. now I have to check if the cable is included with the guarantee as it was supplied with the rib as if it it is so they will have to pay for all the damage that was caused by the faulty cable
Sheeesh Jason! Glad to hear about the ladder problem. You were very lucky with your daughter, I'm glad it ended well. I'd be taking a good look at the boat AND the dealer
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2014, 08:47   #33

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Wow, that sound close !

Hope eveyone is OK.
Old 12 September 2014, 16:28   #34

now yes my daughter is ok. it was a terrible experience that I don't wish to have it again in my life now I am awaiting the respond from the dealer he told me that will have an official respond next week . now for sure never again a cable steering I will go for a hydraulic one
Old 12 September 2014, 16:44   #35

RIBase
Glad your daughter was okay and I hope that you get a positive result from your supplier
Old 13 September 2014, 09:23   #36

can you tell me what do you think of the cable the pic shows the broken cable [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20140913_095442.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	98786[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140913_095349.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	98785  
Old 05 October 2014, 14:28   #37

Name:	20140916_171024.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	99654

can someone tell me how can I find the brand of this steering cable ? all it have on it are these 3 letters