Old 15 October 2005, 09:35   #1

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
trim readout issue on opti via smartcraft gauge

on the opti 200, if you set the smartcraft gauge to read trim, when you are going along it will sometimes alternate between 10 and 8.8

it will read 10 most of the time but now and then it flicks to 8.8

has anyone else come across this, did not notice any play in the engine but it is a heavy lump to tug on

should i be worried?
Old 15 October 2005, 10:52   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Dear Worried of Hook,

We need some more information, preferably a picture of your wiring harness, your trim sender unit and a video of the gauge while it is playing up. I hope you can find the time to do this. I will help the Ribnet members enormously.

Much love and good wishes.
Old 15 October 2005, 11:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Dear Worried of Hook,

We need some more information, preferably a picture of your wiring harness, your trim sender unit and a video of the gauge while it is playing up. I hope you can find the time to do this. I will help the Ribnet members enormously.

Much love and good wishes.
i was thinking you might say that, so i have taken some video but i am having it professionally edited by the bbc for a documentary and they can apparently provide it in any format you need.

to help further i have had the wiring harness removed by the dealer to provide better pictures.

also if it helps further i am very happy to bring the engine in person up to scotland for further scrutiny

petrified in petersfield
Old 15 October 2005, 12:33   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Dear Fireman Sam, I've never known a trim gauge to be 100% accurate. The none "Smart" type tend to flick about all over the place. Trim is really about knowing your boat,allowing for speed , extra load etc and most importantly adjustment for sea conditions. What ever the gauge is reading is by the by.
Old 15 October 2005, 21:25   #5

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Dear Hugh,
I see from your profile that your boat is 7m long. The easy and cheap solution is to look over your shoulder at the engine and trim up or down based on your observation
Old 16 October 2005, 10:03   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Dear Hugh,
I see from your profile that your boat is 7m long. The easy and cheap solution is to look over your shoulder at the engine and trim up or down based on your observation
Scotty, Hugh has forgotton to add that he prefers to wear a Firemans helmet whils't ribbing. This tends to make looking over one's shoulder a little difficult.
Old 16 October 2005, 12:14   #7

some fantastic advice as normal below but just to push the question again....

on the opti 200, if you set the smartcraft gauge to read trim, when you are going along it will sometimes alternate between 10 and 8.8

it will read 10 most of the time but now and then it flicks to 8.8

has anyone else come across this, did not notice any play in the engine but it is a heavy lump to tug on

should i be worried?
Old 16 October 2005, 14:00   #8
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Hi Hugh,

I've only done about 5 hours with my new 200 Opti, so haven't noticed a problem, but I'm running with the Smart Craft gauges only showing trim when the trim button is depressed. I guess trim angles are dependant on transom angles, so will be different on every boat, but my usual " 4 up and full fuel" trim angle is 4.5 on flat seas at about 33 knots.

However, in my last boat, which was a diesel with mercuiser leg, the trim gauge always varied a bit when in moderate seas, particularly in a following sea.

I'll be out on the new boat later in the week, and if you've not had advice from any other Opti owners by then, I'll check and let you know how my trim behaves.
Old 16 October 2005, 16:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIY
However, in my last boat, which was a diesel ...
Jim, 2 diesel boats and then a change to petrol. Give us the lowdown on the new boat...and why?
Old 16 October 2005, 18:49   #10
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Jim, 2 diesel boats and then a change to petrol. Give us the lowdown on the new boat...and why?
Hi Jeff,

Two reasons really - firstly a co-owner who decided it was time to hang up his lifejacket (although JS will probably be out on the water as much on my new boat as he was on Panther!), which meant I had to finance the new boat all on my lonesome, but also because of reliability issues with the legs attached to diesels.

Our first diesel was a 6.8m Ribcraft Offshore, with a Volvo KAD32. Although the boat was only 3 years old, it was costing a lot to maintain, with a variety of repairs (exhaust elbow, starter motor, etc.) The Ribcraft was well built, but at 6.8m was a little short on waterline length for a diesel installation, so it was rather stern-heavy, and hard work in a head sea. We both agreed it was time for a change to something a bit longer, but still with a diesel installation (economy, safety, availability etc).

So boat number two was ordered, an 8.5m Tornado. She was (is) a superb sea-boat, highly capable in all conditions and very well constructed. We plumped for the Yanmar coupled to a Bravo 3X leg. We chose the 250hp engine because there was evidence that the 300hp+ engines were too torquey for the Mercruiser legs. All was well unit last year, when we had a failure of one the the Universal Coupling Joint bearings at about 280 hours - it took about 10 weeks to fix, in the peak summer period, and we missed a number of commitments (Scottish Series etc). Then this year we had to replace a worn steering gimbal pin (at 600 hours), taking another 10 weeks and a whopping £2.5K!

So I'm having a go at the outboard route, new boat, 3 year engine warranty etc. The extra cost of fuel is significant - yesterday I did 68nm in formation with my old 8.5 diesel - he burned 64 litres, I burned 69 litres, so the economy is pretty similar, albeit the price at the pump is not! Of course if (and hopefully it's a big if ) red diesel is no longer available to pleasure craft next year, the economic advantage of diesel boats will be less clear.

I've gone for another Tornado, because their sales advice and support was absolutely first class with the 8.5, and of course because of Tornado's legendary build quality, which I've yet to find any reason to doubt. Thus far the 7.5 is everything I could have asked for, what she lacks in waterline length and sheer inertia as compared with the 8.5, she more than makes up for with an excellent ride and handling.

Had more been known about the new Volvo diesels, perhaps I could've been tempted back down the diesel road, but it's early days yet and I'll await your and others experiences with interest.

Well that's my reasoning in a nutshell, time will tell if I've made the right decision!

Jim
Old 16 October 2005, 21:18   #11

Cool.

I do miss the acceleration of the outboard but I love the quietness and shear grunt of the diesel. It feels like a CalMac ferry each time starts up too.

It's a pity you had the mechanical failures and it's unfortunate that you need to rely on the err, ......professionals for service. It's a big factor to consider for you and, by Ribnet accounts, many others.

I initially paid for Volvo service parts, oil filters etc. .....you only do that once, I can tell you!

I wiped the green Volvo paint from the fuel filter. Written underneath was Bosch and the part no was a standard automotive item. Just over 3 qwid from the motor factors.

As you say, the cost of fuel is in the balance. When I was running petrol, I got to the point where I felt the pleasure of the boat wasn't worth the cost. We've had an afternoon on the boat today and it's cost about £8 in diesel. Fairly cheap entertainment.

Talking of entertainment, it was blowing a 5 from the south and it was square on to the harbour wall on the Fife side....clapotic waves, never tried them square on like that before. Now they are fun...not!
Old 17 October 2005, 19:07   #12

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Im guessing if your using the boat and the trim gauge is reading 8 or 10 your well trimmed out??

Does the gauge read zero when fully trimmed down?
If not the gauge probably needs calibrating again.
Old 19 October 2005, 21:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Im guessing if your using the boat and the trim gauge is reading 8 or 10 your well trimmed out??

Does the gauge read zero when fully trimmed down?
If not the gauge probably needs calibrating again.
i will need to see when i next go out and check to see if it needs calibrating

will advise