Old 21 October 2006, 21:08   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Trim question

On my Johnson, the trim gauge has the middle position (engine level, more or less), and three marks on the gauge in each direction i.e. 3 trimmed in and 3 trimmed out. Normally I use it either 2 or 3 trimmed out (max on the gauge) when cruising.

However the engine itself goes a lot further out on the trim rams before they reach the end of their travel, the engine lifts off the end of the trim rams and it then lifts quickly using the much smaller tilt ram.

Is it safe to use it "off the scale" i.e. even more trimmed out than the top mark on the gauge? I just wonder if it would result in a bit more speed, and also may be useful in shallow water. It obviously wouldn't be a good idea to apply lots of power with the engine only supported by the tilt ram, but once it has engaged with the trim rams I guess it may be ok?
Old 21 October 2006, 21:34   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I don't have a trim dial on mine so just do it by feel. A lot of other people say the same so just ignore your guage!!!
Old 21 October 2006, 23:20   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You may find you have a rev limiter if the tilt ram is in use-mine (it's a Mariner though) won't go above 2500 rpm above a certain trim position (I RTFM'd). I don't fancy trying it out though as there's not a lot of water over the intakes at that point.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2006, 01:00   #4

Ta, should be OK then, I'll have a faff around with it tomorrow, gotta try and find my 400 missing revs too...

cheers

Stephen
Old 22 October 2006, 21:15   #5

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Stephen,,

Trim her out until she "feels" ok,
You will start to lose the "Go" and should be very bow high, quite a while before you get to the tilt position,

I rarely bother with the gauge, all about feel, and she never needs to go very far out, unless at tickover in shallow water
Old 23 October 2006, 09:17   #6

Cheers - will try it when I finish grinding lumps off my new prop

must have hit something in the water yesterday as I wasn't anywhere near anything solid enough to do any damage yet when I got back I have some jagged scars on the leading edge, only about 4th time out since I changed it, bang goes £150 odd no idea what it was but it did suddenly start cavitating for no apparent reason when I was cruising in a straight line then cleared after a few seconds so it must have been then. Very F annoying...

As for trim I also got a bit bow high yesterday, I think I nearly flipped it! wind got up yesterday afternoon must have been about 30kt or so (white tops on the waves) and after a couple over the bow I decided to firewall the throttle and try and ride on top which worked fine for a little while till I hit a big one, she took off over it and there was about 2 or 3 seconds where she was "flying" into the 30kt headwind at about 30 degrees nose up and I really wasn't sure if she was going to come back down or keep going up I slowed down a bit after that...!

Bl**dy boats, there always seems to be a problem with something, who would have one!
Old 23 October 2006, 11:15   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post

Bl**dy boats, there always seems to be a problem with something, who would have one!
Sounds a bit like women really!!!

The saying - "If it floats - flies or Fu*** then rent it" is so true!!!

You want to be careful out there - what are your rescue services like? I hope you get yourself a drysuit or even one of the flotation fishing suits - they are cheap enough.