Old 15 August 2018, 18:42   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
Trim fluid top up no trailer

Hi
I have a small rib with a 30hp Honda outboard. It is on the tidal thames and moored on the river. The trim is not lifting fully and it looks like a fluid top up. I can beach the boat at low tide:. Do I have to lift the engine up and down to add fluid and bleed or can I do it with just the engine up all the time. Thanks
Old 15 August 2018, 20:20   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Check you have the correct specification fluid first. My Tohatsu uses Mobil ATF 220, but each manufacturer will have their own specification, Dexron, etc.

If you're hauling the boat onto the river bank ensure its level. Use the manual release valve on the side of the engine saddle to release any pressure and allow the leg to drop. Use a large cross head screwdriver to undo turning anti clockwise. With it released, you should be able to manually lift the leg high enough to access the hydraulic fluid reservoir. By careful as an outboard leg is a dead weight, so jam a length of wood under it while you top up fluid or rest it on your shoulder.

Before you turn the power trim on, manually raise the leg a few times to force the air out of the oil. Let it sit for about 5 minutes or so with cap off. Close the cap and lock the manual release, then raise it up using the trim switch. Once all the way up, fill up the reservoir if needed and let it sit with the cap off for 5 minutes or so. This allows the air bubbles to work their way out. It's a bit laborious, but once all the gurgling has stopped and the leg rises without hesitation, then the job is done.