Old 08 March 2005, 02:53   #1

Town: Philomath, Oregon
Boat name: Hurrican Hagar
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: None
Transmissions

I bought an old 23 Zodiac Hurricane. I am moving ever so slowly on fixiing it up. I just took the old tube set off and working on fixing the hull and transom. I am learning as I go and have found that there is a wealth of knowledge out there. My boat was designed for a diesel engine in an engine compartment ahead of the console (mid-eingine location). I want to put a 165 to 250 horse engine back into it. I dont want a speed boat, but I would like to get 35-40 knots out of her if possible. With all the people out there that have actual experience, any recommendations for a good transmission and ratio? I will probably get a Volvo Penta TAMD 41P or TAMD43 and a Volvo Penta Outdrive. I have virtually no knowledge about marine transmissions etc. Does it matter that the outdrive will be connected to the transmission via a driveshaft? Thanks for any input you have.

Ray Sytsma
Oregon
Old 08 March 2005, 07:53   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Ray
Installing engines and transmission can be very involved and if you go too far away from what was originally there you will make yourself a lot of work and might end up with something that doesn’t work well, so my advice is to put back what came out. If you do go down the route of changing the engine make sure the transom and engine bed it up to the new power and weight.

Do you know what the original spec was.

Des
Old 08 March 2005, 11:32   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Volvo produce a jackshaft kit for doing just what you propose and it fits the Kad series engines. You will not need the Kamd. These have the gearbox attached to the engine. Your gearbox will effectively be the outdrive on the transom. The jackshaft kit does not contain the actual shaft. You will need to get this made up locally to your required length. It will be very similar to a rear wheel drive car prop shaft.

Good luck and let us know how you progress
Old 09 March 2005, 02:40   #4

Oringinal Specs

It is my understanding that the boat had a 165 Horse power Diesel Volvo Penta TAMD 40. I think it had a Volvo Penta 290 Outdrive. I would like to get a newer Volvo Penta maybe a TAMD 43. It should fit the same engine mounts. I dont I will try it myself, but I want to have it recondition in two years. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Ray
Installing engines and transmission can be very involved and if you go too far away from what was originally there you will make yourself a lot of work and might end up with something that doesn’t work well, so my advice is to put back what came out. If you do go down the route of changing the engine make sure the transom and engine bed it up to the new power and weight.

Do you know what the original spec was.

Des
Old 09 March 2005, 05:23   #5

Driveshafts

JWalker, this boat had a drive shaft called a Cardan shaft. It connected connected the engine to the outdrive. I am guessing it is a distance of 3 or 4 feet. I have seen pictures of the old style shafts and I found a place that makes a new style shaft or coupling similar to the trans-axle on a front wheel drive vehicle. I certainly didnt pick a cheap project, but I was in the U.S. Guard and bringing this back to the origninal specs is the way I want to go if possible. No outboards hanging off a outboard platform. Thanks so much for your response. I will let you know how this comes along.

Ray