I was meant to be going fishing today - but I knew the remote trim was playing up (works fine on engine), so being a daft laddy I set about stripping the remote down yesterday afternoon. That was my first mistake!
Traced it to a corroded wire to the remote switch itself. Soldered in new wiring and re-routed everything back. Quick test before closing it all up and it works Fine. So far so good. As I was closing the remote a small piece of plastic broke. Turns out it's the start in gear protector micro switch. For ***** sake - I'm picking my brother up first thing and his sandwiches are made!
I replaced this switch last year after it literally disintegrated. They're not cheap either at £14 + £5 postage handling direct from Tohatsu. I wouldn't mind but the majority of Omron basic micro switches from RS Tools are literally a couple of quid.
The part is a 15A v3 basic micro switch with plunger (3 slide on terminals). Part number V-15-1A6. Specification: 250VAC - 125VDC, 0.6A - 0.3A.
Just ordered three very reasonably priced from here: http://www.more-control-shop.co.uk/