Old 06 December 2002, 18:21   #1

Town: ireland
Make: lencraft rib
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80hp four str
tohatsu info

A friend of mine is buying a Gemini Rib with a Tohatsu 60hp and has asked me to give him advice on the Tohatsu.Thats where all
you guys come in!I need any info on weakness or merits on same engine.I have a Yamaha but the package deal appears keen with the engine.
Old 06 December 2002, 18:30   #2

Town: UP NORF
Make: K4 CAT
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 X MODIFIED 2.5'S
a mate of mine is a tohatsu dealer and he reckons engines are exellent value and very reliable and on a par with larger manufacturers
Old 07 December 2002, 13:26   #3
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by roofer
a mate of mine is a tohatsu dealer

Oh my God. Don't let Flanker see this.
Old 07 December 2002, 15:18   #4

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Tohatsu dealers , Well I .................................................. . Oh forget it, I thought I remembered something that could have been of interest, but it must have been a previous life, sorry for bothering you.

Pete (truly reformed)
Old 07 December 2002, 19:00   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I don't know about the 60hp Tohatsu, but their engines are in general very well made, in fact they manufacture for most of the major brands. Their 2-stroke engines are a bit low-tec, and only their 50hp and 90hp models use their TLDI technology - very similar to Optimax (Mercury/Mariner). This means that the rest of the engines are carburetted rather than injection, but tough as old boot!

Probably worth sending an email to the God of outboards, Andy Clark at The Bosun's Mate and he'll probably use your question in his column in Practical Boat Owner.

HTH,
Richard.
Old 07 December 2002, 20:24   #6

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
second hand market for Tohasu/ Thundercat

Well I got a z9 Gemini thundercat purchased from the main supplier in the u.k. It was the Demo boat and is in good nick if you want it cheap.

The Tohatsu 50hp,not 60hp is the main racing engine, and its short shaft not long or standared shaft, if you want to race you gotta buy it from the sole agent and not any other tohatsu agent as you can save a grand but will not be allowed to race it.

Looks good on the front covers of magazines, but when I went to see them in action I got very bored.

The Tohasu two stroke carb model, is a good plodder and it is old tecknology re emissions but a very strong engine.

The importers know this! and it proberbly will not be allowed to be used in the next few yrs for racing,as it dont pass the up and comming emissions standardes for outboards.

The importers aint worried cos they will supply you or your friend and grandmother and her friend, that she only sees once a month for coffee, with another new motor if they want it, and can afford it! as it aint there problem, the new emmisions standardes, and they are hungry to sell off old stock.

In my opinion the boats are great fun, but if you want to race then your looking at loosing a lot of money when it comes to selling time?, and It may be worth finding out how much they will give you in hard cash and get it in writing, after a couple of yrs,and not as a part ex against another boat, as you might want a rib by then,you also may be unhappy as the only potential buyers are the people you bought it from.

Just like statick caravan being bought on a site and the only buyer is the happy site owner,The old tecknology Tohasu, does go slightley better into the wind but has a lot less leeway in a bad squall than a static caravan.

Old 08 December 2002, 05:43   #7

Town: San Francisco
Make: AB
Length: 4.5
Engine: Nissan TLDI 50
I've been running a Nissan (tohatsu) TLDI 50 for a few months now and so far I am very impressed. It's a good strong 50 and starts immediately every time. Doesn't smoke at low speed. I initially wanted to get a 60 horse Mercury 4 stroke. The dealer handled both brands, but the deal he gave me on the Nissan was too good to pass up. Here in California, the dealers are not selling any more new carbureted 2 strokes because of emissions laws. My rib is only 4.5 meters. If your friend's boat is bigger, he might want to consider the 70 horse TLDI which is new for this year.

Greg.
Old 08 December 2002, 07:19   #8

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
TOHATSU

Great Value for money if you can't afford one of the other makes. Good engines, don't know how long they last.
Not very popular in Greece, although magazine articles say that they are good.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2002, 20:31   #9

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
zapcats

Would have to agree with Manos great value, also Japanese which usually meens over engineered and tested and tested and tested,I have not read anythig bad about them any reviews I have come across are in their favour,and as you may have seen all the Zapcats run Tohatsus and lets be honest I would say they get a good testing on the back of a Zapcat whether in the water or flying.