Old 02 September 2013, 10:48   #1

Length: 3m +
Tohatsu 9.8 engine care

Hi guys, many thanks for all the past replies to my noobish questions, I've really learnt a lot.

I took the motor out at the weekend and had some great fun on it around Christchurch bay, was surprised at how easy it gets on the plane on my honwave.

I'd like to keep the 2 stroke engine in tip top condition. The manual states that I would need genuine grease, gear oil, touch up paint and engine oil. But elsewhere I have read that I need things like marine wax, silicone spray, a grease gun, grease and an ear muff flashing adapter.

I'm a bit confused, especially when it comes to the manual recommending genuine products. Is this necessary?

Could someone please let me know what I need to do with the engine after its been out and whether there is anywhere online I can buy a 'care pack' which has everything in it I need. Had a bit of difficulty finding Tohatsu products, it seems they aren't supported as well as the more well known brands.

Do I need to flush the engine with freshwater - I launch from the river at Wick Lane, Christchurch, so does this need to be done given that freshwater would have run through the system on the way back to the slipway?
Old 02 September 2013, 11:33   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You can use Quicksilver 2 stroke oil/marine grease/gear oil - they're good quality and easily found.

Contact Kieron, RIBSHOP on here for other Tohatsu specific parts.

It's best to flush in fresh water after use - you don't need muffs, a wheelie bin or similar is just as good, if not better.
Old 02 September 2013, 13:38   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Don't troll it.

In my experience (see current thread) it causes issues with these. And having spoken to the local marine engine workshop to book mine in the first thing he said was - those Tohatsu's *really* don't like trolling.

Having said all that they are simple to maintain.

Gear oil (any decent EP90) once a season.

A set of plugs NGK BR7HS once a season.

And marine grease on all the greasy bits that need greasing now and again.

I flush it each time of use and run the carb dry.

In winter remove plugs, squirt in some regular engine oil, spin it a few times, replace plugs and put your feet up.
Old 03 September 2013, 15:11   #4

Thanks for the replies. I got the following stuff in the end:

Pro marine rib shine
Quicksilver Premium Plus TC-W3 2-Stroke Oil
Quicksilver Corrosion Guard
Quicksilver Grease (in a tube)
Flushing muffs (I dont have anywhere to mount the outboard to use a wheelie bin)

Is there a definitive article online about outboard care that someone could point me in the right direction of? I'm a bit unsure about which parts to grease, spray etc.