Old 06 September 2017, 16:22   #1

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Tohatsu 70hp 2 stroke

Hi chaps,

I am looking at buying a 70hp tohatsu 2 stroke (2004 model) externally and internally it seems sound.

What's the reliability of these like ? Previously I've only ever owned a mercury or Yamaha.
Old 06 September 2017, 21:39   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Tohatsu mid sized 2-strokes are a bit agricultural, but that said their bullet-proof if properly maintained.

I've had my 60hp for a few years now, which is identical to the 70p mechanically without the throttle travel stop.

One weak point, and it's not exclusive to Tohatsu is electrical gremlins. The wiring isn't tinned, so there's a good chance if you expose copper wiring you'll see tell-tale green oxidisation which results in intermittent trim issues. One way around this is to splice in new tinned cable to the remote loom, or if you're feeling flush, to completely renew.

Given you don't know the history of the engine, then a proper flush with salt away is recommended. You can remove the thermostat for a closer look (you'll need a new gasket). Replace the impeller as a matter of course.

Only other niggles I've had was a failed starter motor, easily replaced, worn carbon brushes on trim motor, replaced with carbon brushes from a motorbike and springs from Hornby (as Tohatsu were looking for my still-beating heart as way of a ransom).

Lastly, be careful not to over torque spark plugs. The cylinder head was off mine due to a threaded plug, so noticed hairline spider web cracks on head due to heat, so alloy is brittle. You can get steel inserts if you're concerned.
Old 06 September 2017, 21:43   #3

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Excellent [emoji106] thanks for your reply Spartacus.

I've seen a lot of commercial beach boats (in Cromer) with them on so guessed they must be pretty good!

I like simple engines. The problem for me now is all the new engines have to many complicated electronics which are gonna cost a fortune when they start to go wrong!
Old 07 September 2017, 20:59   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo View Post
Excellent [emoji106]I like simple engines. The problem for me now is all the new engines have to many complicated electronics which are gonna cost a fortune when they start to go wrong!
Indeed. Got a car with an electronic handbrake, and had to shell out £350 for VCDS software so I can change the rear pads. Bleed'n nonsense.

If you do open the remote at any point to strip in wiring, watch the start in gear micro-switch. It's easily dislodged or damaged.