Originally Posted by itrjoel
Hey iv got a 50hp mxd2 2013 .tohatsu. on a 14ft zapcat .
Iv got it going 45mph. But still far from what I want for speed
Iv got a D1 exausts
And a 10.2 x 15 ss prop
My reves 5100 wide open
Q: what els can I do for speed
Thanks joel babin
You apparently at the largest engine size for the 14'0" zap cat.
How fast do you want (expect) to go for speed?
I cannot find a 50hp MXD2 Tohatsu spec :
Products/Tohatsu Outboard Motors
The M50 2-stroke Maximum operating range rpm 5150-5850
The MW50 2-stroke Maximum operating range rpm 5150-5850
The MX50 2-stroke maximum operating range rpm 5000-5800
The MD50 TLDI 2-stroke max operating range rpm 5150-585
The MFS50 4-stroke operating range 5000-6000
It seems that you are operating in or close to the bottom expected range of the engines.
You could try :
- reducing the pitch.
- reducing wind resistance.
- reducing boat weight (less equipment)
- try on smoother water i.e. no chop.
- try on heading with the wind
- reducing the number of persons on board
- Using premium octane fuel rather than the supermarket brand.
- Make sure that the cavitation plate is at the base of the transom +/- and not too much deeper i.e. too much drag.
- Adding a pair of Deol fins
45mph in a 14'0" inflatable is a pretty good speed.
From this site
Tohatsu Outboard Motors - Propeller Chart
for a Stainless steel prop it sounds like you should have a 10.5 diameter 14" pitch and 3 blades Part# PT4050P14
How come you have a 10.2
diameter and not a 10.5
Does it have 3 or 4 blades?
What else have you tried?