Old 04 February 2010, 11:14   #11

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
Hi geoff
I have the same engine as you and have just removed the remotes to go back to the tiller so I can show you what you need fitting wise for your outboard ill just post the photos because a picture says a 1000 words and I hate typing also I dont think the 1 1/2" solvent weld pipe will be strong enough to mount the wheel to , dont forget that the wheel is the only thing you have to hold on to. Unfortunately my remotes are not for sale. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 002.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	49011   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 003.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	49012   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	49013   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 010.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	49014   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 006.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	49015  

Old 04 February 2010, 18:05   #12

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Thanks again for all the help!
The electric start/charging circuit is definately out then.
The rason I want remote steering is I use my boat a lot by myself, and on a 3.5m boat with a 9.8hp engine I had to get really far forward eith an extendable tiller to get on the plane (and it was uncomfortable).
Now I have a 4.5m boat with a 25hp engine I think it will be even more important to be as far forward as possible. Plus it will free up the middle area of my boat and I intend on going a little further afield than I have been.
Those pictures are great! They give me an idea as to what I am looking for, as up to now I don't even know what they look like. That looks like the same engine as I have, do you know the part numbers, as I have seen some that might work, but need to know numbers to be sure.
Many thanks again!
Geoff

Old 28 February 2010, 17:12   #13

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Just to follow up for anyone it may help in the future...
I got the remote/throttle of ebay for 75. It was a second hand Mariner one, and by fluke had 12ft cables which should be fine. It will also link into the electrics on my engine with a plug which goes in the front. Not sure what this will do untill I try it, but it includes a kill switch. Just need to work out how to switch it over to go on my console.

The Steering was again of ebay. It was a cheapy Multiflex system with wheel, cable and bezel for 85. I will post back if this turns out to be duff.

I got the engine to throttle cables connections of ebay again for 38. This was a Yamaha kit, as mine is derived from a Mariner.

I also needed what I now know to be called a drag link. This connects the thru tube cable to my power head. This was about 15, I'll let you guess where from .

It will be mounted on sometrhing I have designed myself and am getting a fabricator to make for me. It is roughly speaking a box which will be bolted to the floor. When I get it back I will post some pictures.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully this thread will help someone else as daft as me in the future,
Geoff