Old 02 February 2010, 20:57   #1

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Tiller to remotes?

I am currently trying to find out if it is viable to run my engine of remotes (price and if possible).
The engine I have is a Mariner 25hp tiller and the only information I have on the engine is "25M" and "695 S 029815".
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to do this?
And if they know the parts required?
Don't worry about patronising me with your answer as I know nothing of this. Thanks in advance for your help,
Geoff
Old 02 February 2010, 22:26   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
It's not difficult, but to do with new parts is costly.

Personally I'd scour ebay for a Commander 2000 (merc/mariner) control box without electrics then go into an outboard shop/marine engineers and buy the cables for it new.

As for remote steering, how were you thinking of mounting the helm? Crossbar or console?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 12:32   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
As Nos says, new is going to be silly money, however also be aware that most single lever remote boxes use te same internal gubbins - I've run Both a Yam form a Suz remote & a merc from a Yam remore - the mechanical cable throws are usually pretty standard.

The fun might be fixing ghe cables to the engine. I haven't had a chance to look your engine up, but there are essentially two "high level" ways of doing it:

1) external connection - Usually on older engines- there will be a random lever somewhere round the bottom of the case for the throttle, and your gear stick will have a slotted hole. You may have a boss to screw a cable anchor to vaguely in line with them. Really old stuff you just had to drill the case!

2) internal connection - Have a look at the front of your case. there may be a removable section. likely on the starboard side. (ther may be two smaller ones, one either side) what you'll then need is the big rubber bung(s), and the cable clamp/anchor bracket which will screw in, very likely to the same hole you unscrewed the "filler" from. Cable ends will be either a round ball on the end of a lever (move theottle & gears, see what moves) or a pin with a hole for a split pin.

There's plenty of aftermarket cable ends for connecting to the engfine, pretty much any "standard" cable should then fit. (I have teleflex cables connecting a Yam Remote control to a Merc engine)

As Nos says, you;re probably better spending the money on a new wirting loom. That will either plug into a random socket inside rh engine, or will replace one that leads to the front. As you only really need a deadman, you could wire a 222- core & get a simple switch (your remote box may have one alreadty) and wire it to short the ignition. (I say that assuming you have some electrical knowledge)

If i've just confused you more I'll try to re- write this wil th pics!
Old 03 February 2010, 21:24   #4

Hi guys, thanks for your help.
I have heard back from someone, who recons £120ish for the engine attachments. nI have seen a Trem remote control for £55. I think I am looking at £300 pounds all told.
I was hoping it wouldn't be this much.
I will keep my eyes open on ebay but it is hard not knowing the engine connections I need.
I assume on top of that I will need a charging circuit(?), and a part that will mean I can electrically start the engine.
I am hoping to mount the wheel on a 1 1/2"solvent weld pipe frame bolted to the floor. Is there a lot of stress exerted when turning the wheel?
I am sorry 9D280, but my knowledge of steering is non existant. Does anyone know of a guide anywhere?
Thanks for taking the time to reply,
Geoff
Old 03 February 2010, 21:35   #5

Town: southampton
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Hi guys, thanks for your help.
I have heard back from someone, who recons £120ish for the engine attachments. nI have seen a Trem remote control for £55. I think I am looking at £300 pounds all told.
I was hoping it wouldn't be this much.
I will keep my eyes open on ebay but it is hard not knowing the engine connections I need.
I assume on top of that I will need a charging circuit(?), and a part that will mean I can electrically start the engine.
I am hoping to mount the wheel on a 1 1/2"solvent weld pipe frame bolted to the floor. Is there a lot of stress exerted when turning the wheel?
I am sorry 9D280, but my knowledge of steering is non existant. Does anyone know of a guide anywhere?
Thanks for taking the time to reply,
Geoff
Thinking a bit outside of the box,
have you considered buying an engine that already has remotes,
and then selling your engine to recuperate most of your money back!
It will probably work out cheaper than buying all the parts separately and you'll have all the right bits.
Old 03 February 2010, 21:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Thinking a bit outside of the box,
have you considered buying an engine that already has remotes,
and then selling your engine to recuperate most of your money back!
It will probably work out cheaper than buying all the parts separately and you'll have all the right bits.

Not a bad idea, but I have a terrible track record buying engines. Plus I have had this one serviced and been told it is a good runner, so would prefer to keep it. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 03 February 2010, 22:10   #7

Town: southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Not a bad idea, but I have a terrible track record buying engines. Plus I have had this one serviced and been told it is a good runner, so would prefer to keep it. Thanks for the idea though.
your welcome,
and yes i fully understand the value of a known and reliable motor
Old 03 February 2010, 22:10   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Geoff - you don't need to add a starter/battery etc to run remotes. It will be quite happy on manual start. It will be a few hundred at least to add electrics.
Old 04 February 2010, 08:37   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
it may be more trouble than its worth with a s.i.b,,,extra weight, more clutter, cables running about ,things getting snagged up all the time ,,makes the boat less manouverble for quick responses of the helm ,especially if you do a lot of fishing ,,suppose its ok if you are doing a lot of distance ,then you can sitback and steer with sunglasses and a smirk on your face,,,lol
Old 04 February 2010, 09:03   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yeah, to add electric start will be silly money, but as has been said before, by fishing around, the hardware can be go reasonabyl cheaply, and a deadman can be made using bog standard lighting flex & an aftermarket switch / lanyard.

When I di that to a '72 Johnson form memory the "morse" cabkles were the most expensive part - Old 70s vintage Morse / teleflex single lever control* - £20 from boat jumble, cable end fitting kit - £15, Deadman switch - £12 then the "morse" cables which from memory were around the £40-50 mark.

It moved me all of about 2 foot further forward (initially worked it with the deadman clipped to the back of my lifejacket I was so close to the engine), but was sooo much more comfortable on a longer trip.
Old 04 February 2010, 15:14   #11

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
Hi geoff
I have the same engine as you and have just removed the remotes to go back to the tiller so I can show you what you need fitting wise for your outboard ill just post the photos because a picture says a 1000 words and I hate typing also I dont think the 1 1/2" solvent weld pipe will be strong enough to mount the wheel to , dont forget that the wheel is the only thing you have to hold on to. Unfortunately my remotes are not for sale. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 002.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	49011   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 003.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	49012   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 004.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	49013   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 010.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	49014   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 006.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	49015  

Old 04 February 2010, 22:05   #12

Thanks again for all the help!
The electric start/charging circuit is definately out then.
The rason I want remote steering is I use my boat a lot by myself, and on a 3.5m boat with a 9.8hp engine I had to get really far forward eith an extendable tiller to get on the plane (and it was uncomfortable).
Now I have a 4.5m boat with a 25hp engine I think it will be even more important to be as far forward as possible. Plus it will free up the middle area of my boat and I intend on going a little further afield than I have been.
Those pictures are great! They give me an idea as to what I am looking for, as up to now I don't even know what they look like. That looks like the same engine as I have, do you know the part numbers, as I have seen some that might work, but need to know numbers to be sure.
Many thanks again!
Geoff
Old 28 February 2010, 21:12   #13

Just to follow up for anyone it may help in the future...
I got the remote/throttle of ebay for £75. It was a second hand Mariner one, and by fluke had 12ft cables which should be fine. It will also link into the electrics on my engine with a plug which goes in the front. Not sure what this will do untill I try it, but it includes a kill switch. Just need to work out how to switch it over to go on my console.

The Steering was again of ebay. It was a cheapy Multiflex system with wheel, cable and bezel for £85. I will post back if this turns out to be duff.

I got the engine to throttle cables connections of ebay again for £38. This was a Yamaha kit, as mine is derived from a Mariner.

I also needed what I now know to be called a drag link. This connects the thru tube cable to my power head. This was about £15, I'll let you guess where from .

It will be mounted on sometrhing I have designed myself and am getting a fabricator to make for me. It is roughly speaking a box which will be bolted to the floor. When I get it back I will post some pictures.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully this thread will help someone else as daft as me in the future,
Geoff