Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 13 October 2007, 18:35   #1

Town: kingsbridge
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25
Tiller Control Suzuki DT25C/DT30C & seized engine

Just purchased a 1999 Suzuki 25hp, from a guy locally who bought it new and used the engine for one season, winterised service and then stored in his dry garage since.

It was advertised on ebay for £750 buy it now!! He called me just before I left to till me he couldn't turn it over with the pull cord. It was not connected to the control box so he hasn't tryed to start it electrically which is a good thing.

He seemed genuine, other than wear & tear in the prop and lower leg it is immaculate and there is no evidence of excess rust under the cover on the block or wiring terminals. All the head bolts have not been tampered with. I am hopeing it is only a light seizure.... Fingers crossed!!

So I hammered him down to £175 and comes complete with electric start and control box, worst case scenario it is surely worth this for parts.

I am using the engine on an inflatable, will keep the control box and starter motor in case I need it on another boat one day.

Firstly does anyone know of a tiller arm going cheap, or what would one cost new. I may be lucky and ask the original supplier, local to me, if he has one spare covered in dust somewhere..

Also, do you think I have a bargain and has anyone experienced a similar light seizure and i'm not talking medical conditions!!

Bit of reassurance would be welcome

Hopefully ---->

Joe
Old 13 October 2007, 18:53   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Sounds like a very good price if you can fix it. Ebay is a good bet for a tiller arm. May be worth contacting Bill Higham marine to see if they have one - they deal in second hand parts. Only trouble their service is terrible, but you might be lucky.
Old 13 October 2007, 20:31   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberjoey View Post
So I hammered him down to £175 and comes complete with electric start and control box, worst case scenario it is surely worth this for parts.

I am using the engine on an inflatable, will keep the control box and starter motor in case I need it on another boat one day.

Firstly does anyone know of a tiller arm going cheap, or what would one cost new. I may be lucky and ask the original supplier, local to me, if he has one spare covered in dust somewhere..

Also, do you think I have a bargain and has anyone experienced a similar light seizure and i'm not talking medical conditions!!

Put it in a big tray or an old bath,turn it on its front so the plug holes are facing upwards and fill the crankcases with diesel through the open plug holes. Put the plugs in and leave it for a couple of weeks.

Then take the plugs out and gently try to turn it.If it doesn't turn, do it all again.

It's worth more than £175 in parts.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2007, 22:38   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Check it's not in gear as well - you never know!!!

Probably just gummed up though - often removing the plugs and petrol or diesel in the holes will work as Nos says.
Old 14 October 2007, 21:07   #5

Cheers for your help, it's in my mates shed and topped up the bores with diesel/petrol/oil mix.

Should know for sure in a few weeks or so. My mate works for Kawasaki, so has a good idea of what should happen next if lubeing fails.

Joe
Old 15 October 2007, 06:07   #6

Town: South East
Make: Valiant DR520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 75
Also if its barely seized you will never pull it with the cord the first time. Try rocking the flywheel gently to and fro with a spanner on the top nut.
Old 15 October 2007, 08:45   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Bill doesn't have a tiller - I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago looking for one. He does have a DT30 minus it's oil tank, carbs and CDI. If you find you need a replacement power head, it supposedly turns, 'tho I wasn't after one, so didn't check. Also Ardoran Marine up by Oban are breaking a couple, but again no tillers, and from memory one of them is being broken due to seizure.

If you happen find a pile of tillers on your travels. do let me know!
Old 15 October 2007, 15:31   #8

I certainly will, don't really need one until next year, especially when the cost of a new one inc. VAT is 200 quid!! that's more than the fricken engine cost me....
Old 21 October 2007, 09:07   #9

Thanks to those who recommended a trial fix on the ceised engine I bought for £175.

We soon discovered when taking apart that it has collected water on to one of the cyliners and is totalled as far as repair is concerned. Loads of powdered sand/crystalised salt, originated from oil pump.

I contacted the guy I bought it from and he sincerely apologised and blamed the engineer who winterised back in 1999. Hopefully he will honor has word by sending me £175 and also said I could keep the parts, I did offer to sread them all over his nice new driveway!!

Cheers,
Joe