Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 February 2005, 05:00   #1
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 353
The Dilemma

I have been offered a 2003 four stroke Outboard brand new for a very attractive price
can enyone think of a reson not to buy ie Emissions ect
Your thoughts & experience would be a appreciated
__________________

__________________
SOLENTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 05:12   #2
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY
can enyone think of a reson not to buy
Check it hasn't been stolen if it's a VERY attractive price! Don't think the emissions stuff should affect you - I think it's just that from a date in the future (2006??) new engines must pass a stricter emissions test than at present. Don't think it'll have a bearing on engines already in existence - but happy to be corrected on this by anyone that knows better! (And if that's the case, we'd better start saving for a new engine! )

Edit: this article supports my view, giving the date as 31/12/06 from which time all NEW outboards must meet the stricter requirements. The article also states that 4 strokes & new tech 2 strokes will probably all meet the new requirements anyway! Phew!
__________________

__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 05:46   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY
I have been offered a 2003 four stroke Outboard brand new for a very attractive price
can enyone think of a reson not to buy ie Emissions ect
Your thoughts & experience would be a appreciated
All depends what you consider to be an attractive price ?, what make and size of engine etc ? give us some more details to go on, and remember its only a bargain if you actually need it !!
__________________
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 07:31   #4
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 353
The Dilemma

About 1200 under list on a 115 hp and a grand for my old one 2 stroke 97 vintage
and no its not nicked Louise
__________________
SOLENTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 07:40   #5
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Grumpy
I reckon you should get that much & more of a brand new one 2005 model!
Do a bit of phoning around get some prices!
Nick
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 07:53   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 328
bargain or not?

I'm old fashioned, I find that straight talking with the local dealer is worth a go for 3 reasons.
1. He/she will be happy to offer a price knowing you are serious and local.
2. they will almost certainley know that you will have it serviced there
3. if it goes wrong due to an istallation error you can have trouble arguing over long distnces whereas your local bod will often fit cheaply or free meaning if it does not perform for whatever reason the whole job is down to 1 company not 3 ie the seller, the shipper and whoever fits it for you.

I have just taken delivery of 2 150 optis I paid 750 more than the best price given by the boat builder but still saved 5000 and feel very happy with the continuity.

mike
__________________
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 07:53   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
Grumpy
I reckon you should get that much & more of a brand new one 2005 model!
Do a bit of phoning around get some prices!
Nick
Yes i agree with Nick, 1200 off a 2005 model is what i'd consider a good deal, though for a 2003 is not that good, plus 1k for your old engine isn't a great deal either, considering recons sell for upwards of 1.5k, (obviously we have no idea as to the condition of your old engine)
__________________
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 07:55   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I'm old fashioned, I find that straight talking with the local dealer is worth a go for 3 reasons.
1. He/she will be happy to offer a price knowing you are serious and local.
2. they will almost certainley know that you will have it serviced there
3. if it goes wrong due to an istallation error you can have trouble arguing over long distnces whereas your local bod will often fit cheaply or free meaning if it does not perform for whatever reason the whole job is down to 1 company not 3 ie the seller, the shipper and whoever fits it for you.

I have just taken delivery of 2 150 optis I paid 750 more than the best price given by the boat builder but still saved 5000 and feel very happy with the continuity.

mike
Mike when are you taking me out for a ride on your new baby (you did promise) have heard you've had it on the water already.

Do you still have your aux engine for the old Valiant you were telling me about last time i saw you.

Richard
__________________
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 08:07   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 328
not yet launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Mike when are you taking me out for a ride on your new baby (you did promise) have heard you've had it on the water already.

Do you still have your aux engine for the old Valiant you were telling me about last time i saw you.

Richard
Hi Bilge, yep when I launch I will let you know, as yet the boat has not seen the water as I have been waiting for a small number of alterations (now nearly done). We didn't fuel it up as I didn't have a spare 440 notes that week!
The boats now down at jez frys at the harbour. I did try to send you a mail the other day with some pics but mucked it up!

re the engine I may end up keeping it for the avon bought last weekend.
__________________
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 08:29   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Are you puttin twin 150's on a boat or singles on two boats.

I also agree that the deal for the 115 yam doesn't seem that clever
__________________

__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.