Old 13 September 2015, 21:50   #21

I think BRP made a mistake with the warranty on this.

There is no incentive to get that 5 year service done by a dealer. Anyone reasonably handy could just service it as per the book and call it good. They probably should have went with a 3 year service and a bolt on 2 years to keep their dealers happier, this has a couple of benefits-

1. Almost guaranteed the dealer will get to do the service as most people will want the extra warranty.

2. If serviced there has to be a much better chance of not needing the warranty and thus save brp money.

3. More chance of the dealers still being about and interested in selling the motors.

It is refreshing to see they have faith in their engines though and the rest of the market is starting to take notice. I.e the new mercs with self service options.

With the above said, in all my boating days I have only ever seen 1 etec, a G1 on a zodiac a few weeks ago, the dealer local to me can't be doing much new engine business. I guess the vast majority jumped on the 4 stroke wagon and rarely look back, in my neck of the woods at least.
Old 13 September 2015, 21:58   #22

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
It's a five year warranty and service every three years Xk59D.
Old 13 September 2015, 22:22   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
It's a five year warranty and service every three years Xk59D.
No as per Chris' post at the start - it is now 5 yrs / 500 hrs (see page 6 of this http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/...g.pdf#zoom=100)
Old 13 September 2015, 22:38   #24

That is my understanding of the G2 warranty now yes, happy to be wrong though!

I didn't know it used to be a 3+2, that just makes more sense in every way to me.

One thing not mentioned here is the price of the G2, this says 17.5k for a 200, is that circa the going rate? That is about 5k more than the G1 if so. Geez the G1 is a "cheap" option compared to just about anything else now.

http://www.mby.com/gear/tested-brp-e...d-engine-44904

http://www.ribstuff.com/category/evi...e-200hp-300hp/
Old 13 September 2015, 22:39   #25

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
missed that....thinking it was warranty not servicing
Old 14 September 2015, 06:43   #26

Length: 6m +
I just don't understand all the fuss. there are far less etecs where I live so there will be less failing under warranty.

I nearly got a fifty but heard bad things about that engine so passed on it. In asking about the yards here there were several bad stories but comparative lyrics less about mercury and yamaha.
Old 14 September 2015, 09:44   #27

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
The Service schedule (attached) gives a list of things for the owner to check.....these include the anodes. all of which are replaceable by anyone that can turn a spanner....

The G2 Gearbox now has a reservoir under the engine cowl so you can check the gearbox oil level and oil quality without even touching the gearbox.

Other than that the range of sensors and probes installed give a huge amount of data and will flag up problems before they become terminal.

I guess that BRP are confident enough in their engineering and electronic design skills to rely on this.

If you don't feel confident to check the anodes and replace as necessary or check the gearbox oil by looking under the hood or check the bolts that are holding the engine on are tight then I guess you could always pay someone to do it
There you go...and makes more sense than the Blurb now.So it's NOT a Five year 500 hour service schedule!
Basicly the NEW deal is that the Punter/engineer has to inspect/replace the Anodes...Annually...I suspect that's the case with the impeller too??? Plugs?? and it would seem he/they are responsible for checking for faults which may or may not be picked up by the sensors.?.
I also take these items are what BRP would term consumables?...so also like most makers payable for by the owner/servicer?..(sounds more like a yearly service all the time!)
Begs the question what the position would be if the owner neglects... through ingnorance or misses somthing which does go on to cause a major fault? I'm sure most people on here have had experience of retailers or makers trying to wriggle out of warranty responsabilty?
Or maybe BRP would just say.....we've last seen this engine 5 yrs ago...Yep ALOT can happen in five years!..(remember this would be with an engine just on the limit...or out of warranty!!) apart from filling up the 2stroke resivoir you've done absolutely nothing!..cleaned/flushed nothing...checked nothing...replaced nothing...inspected nothing..adjusted nothing..and sought no professional advice..
Ok!..Don't worry Buddy..we'll sort any and all problems (that may well have been preventable!) that may or may not incur and pick up the complete Tab for any and all works/parts labour needed yeah! I reckon
Or like I said is it incumbant for said owner/or engineer to carry out yearly routine checks and
maintenance and buy the (Genuine?)parts to do so?
Either way (as my original point) seems to make a mockery of the "Five year 500 service interval"
Time will tell.
Synical maybe...But I am old enough to remember how the BRP Fitch engines were going to conquer the world!...That worked!
That Blurb was pretty good too I remember.

All engines of all types break down...especially in the extreme Marine environment most of us operate in..But in my experience nothing beats REGULAR inspection/care and maintainance to mitigate potential problems arising...whatever you run.
I am/was making the point that not ALL of us fall for the type of Over Hyped Blurb dished out by the much less regulated Rabid sales Gurus across the pond!
I would suggest you don't either

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 10:11   #28

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
As another aside, on collecting mine from OSM Lostwithiel last week, I noticed a tatty looking old 150 FICHT Ram on a stand. The tech said that it was a 1998 and had done over 2000 fault free hours , of commercial use on 'Turncoat', a Fowey Harbour launch. "Bulletproof, those things" was his verdict.
Old 14 September 2015, 10:26   #29

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I am/was making the point that not ALL of us fall for the type of Over Hyped Blurb dished out by the much less regulated Rabid sales Gurus across the pond!
I would suggest you don't either
Remind us all, what did you choose as new replacement OB for your previous boat?
Old 14 September 2015, 10:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Remind us, what did you choose as new replacement OB for your previous boat?
...I know you've read my posts on the subject...don't tell you've forgotten already!

Old 14 September 2015, 10:37   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
As another aside, on collecting mine from OSM Lostwithiel last week, I noticed a tatty looking old 150 FICHT Ram on a stand. The tech said that it was a 1998 and had done over 2000 hours without fault, of commercial use on 'Turncoat', a Fowey Harbour launch. "Bulletproof, those things" was his verdict.
Shame they still don't make them eh

Old 14 September 2015, 12:10   #32

Make: OSPREY
Quote:
But in my experience nothing beats REGULAR inspection/care and maintenance to mitigate potential problems arising...
Totally agree...

So in summary:

Evinrude are not saying DONT inspect your engine for 5 years, and frankly any boat owner that does not inspect their boat on a regular basis is going to suffer as a result, and if they want to pay for someone to inspect their boat for them then that is their choice. However as the owner if you are confident to check the basics as outlined in the owners manual, then with an E-tec and several other brands of engine, you can inspect yourself and save yourself the cost.
Old 14 September 2015, 13:26   #33

I don't get a company like Evinrude who seem to have as one of their main sales points that you choose your colour. It just seems flaky/ desperate as a selling point for a big company ?

I cant even see they have a stand at the Southampton show ? why haven't they got one this year ?
Old 14 September 2015, 14:11   #34

Make: OSPREY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart1975 View Post
I don't get a company like Evinrude who seem to have as one of their main sales points that you choose your colour. It just seems flaky/ desperate as a selling point for a big company ?
Firstly it is one of many sales points, but IMO not a bad idea. Why not choose an outboard that matches your boat ?

Quote:
I cant even see they have a stand at the Southampton show ? why haven't they got one this year ?
Yes disappointing I agree, they are relying more on boat builders showing the engines on boats and only have a small presence on a shared stand. You would think with the release of the new engine that they would want to really push the boat out.
Old 14 September 2015, 15:43   #35

are BRP buying transoms in the UK? it is the in thing over the pond certainly.
Old 14 September 2015, 15:46   #36

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Look boy'z there iz a say'n prevention iz better than queer,and speak az u find thats it look aft a um and they look aft a yo, don't and they will bost
Old 14 September 2015, 15:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
Firstly it is one of many sales points, but IMO not a bad idea. Why not choose an outboard that matches your boat ?
But its just not something to be made into such a big thing as in the headline words?

Don't see why they don't lead with some more practical stuff like the funny electric steering thingy or something.
Old 14 September 2015, 16:28   #38

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The annual Etec debate!

Quote:
But its just not something to be made into such a big thing as in the headline words?

Don't see why they don't lead with some more practical stuff like the funny electric steering thingy or something.

When you walk down the street & cast a roving eye over the people walking bye, do you think "blimey! I bet she/he* has a first in astro physics" or is it more "by 'eck! look at the chassis/lunchbox* on that"

Go figure!

*delete as appropriate 😏

Back to the thread:-
Here's one for all the Etec knockers, most who will have never been on a Etec powered boat, let alone driven or owned one. This weekend was the Great River Race. A fair contingent of Ribnobburs took part including myself & Hadd. 2 identical hulls RC545s. One has an Etec 130 the other a Suzuki DF140a. Both boats did identical route at same speed. Anyone care to hazard the fuel figures for both engines? Approximately 3.5hours at 8kn & 5 hours at tickover
.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2015, 16:36   #39
RIBnet admin team

Quote:

Given that most people buy cars on looks, brand and colour as much of not more than the mechanics not sure why boat engines would be any different. If all the rib builders declared grey was the most practical or orange the safest don't you think there would be a market for people who want to choose their own tubes? Same argument really - surely the hull, the build quality, the fabric, the ergonomics are all more important. It is a highly competitive mature market though and marginal differences are the differentiators.

Do you know what it costs to build a credible stand the size you would expect, get stock etc there, staff it etc. And they don't sell direct so you can't even tangibly measure the upside. Alternatively you can subsidise demo engines on builders boats, winning you support from them letting people see / try them afloat for probably a fraction of the cost.
Old 14 September 2015, 16:45   #40
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
...I know you've read my posts on the subject...don't tell you've forgotten already!
So for those of us who are a bit rusty. When you owned an etc they were great and you never complained about the low service intervals and overlooked the ficht era but now you've changed horse you are trolling up old ficht stuff, saying the service interval is wrong and jumping to conclusions about impellers and plugs you could easily Google and see are wrong... Who are you trying to convince? Is it the world or yourself that the Soozie is the best thing since, well a Yamaha? [insert random smiley here to show its all in jest]