Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 09 August 2019, 11:22   #21

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Which is why I think it's important for other people to said their piece on these threads. Many folk new to boating use these boards as a reference (I did/do) so I think it's useful to highlight the fact that Mr Plumbs doesn't necessarily represent 'the orthodoxy' in all matters.
Absolutely, and I'm sure the majority of readers soon work out who's giving useful advice and who talks gibberish, anyway, I'd best go and take some more pills
Old 09 August 2019, 11:24   #22

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
What myth is that? The myth of preemptive maintenance?

To be honest I think the original premis of this post has value... particularly with reference to the 'old fuel' debate. Though even on that topic I'm not sure that the fact it runs in a bucket means that it will run well under load; personally I'd top it up with as much fresh as I could.

On the subject of preemptive maintenance, I would like to add my voice to the 'pro' side. The idea that you would just wait for something as crucial as an impeller to fail and not even check it is borderline irresponsible. And once you've got to the stage of checking it then for the relatively low cost of the part then you may as well replace it.

To be honest I find much of what the OP posts on rib.net to be inexplicable, inconsistent, and often wilfully contrarian. For someone with such a self-professed breadth and depth of knowledge on all types of motors, from remote control aircraft to ion drives and beyond, to have such a cavalier attitude to maintenance doesnt seem to me to quite ring true. But that is merely an opinion. He evidently takes great delight in proving people/manufacturers 'wrong' and exploding the 'myth' of duty lifecycles for engine parts; and if you share that passion the fill your boots. Just try not to stray too far from shore cos someone else will have to come and get you.
I think some folk on here post things just to get a reaction and some folks react .its a bit like fishing BP is bored so he is fishing but it doesn't look like there's too many bites today
Old 09 August 2019, 11:26   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I love how Plums can remotely diagnose a cracked, perishing or splitting impeller blade from the other side of a leg,without inspecting it and knows that it's not necessary to replace the impeller after 6 years of standing.

I wish I had his Xray vision.

Plums, seriously go have a chat with yourself in a corner about this.

If one said impeller blade is cracked/splitting etc it will still pump water til it lets go, and then your motor is toast.

If you're inspecting it,at that age change it.

If you're not inspecting it after 6 years of standing then you're a bit of a silly.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2019, 11:37   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>

This master bodger hammer jockey shows just how stuck they can get...

Christ.

If I saw someone doing that, it'd be the last time they ever worked on my boat. They should at least have the brain to have something in place to make sure that incredibly expensive gearbox doesn't smash into the floor.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2019, 12:10   #25

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I think some folk on here post things just to get a reaction and some folks react .its a bit like fishing BP is bored so he is fishing but it doesn't look like there's too many bites today
You don't think so, do you?
Old 09 August 2019, 12:40   #26

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Perhaps you should thin down your fleet so you can properly maintan what you have

Perhaps I am happy with my fleet and I do properly maintain. Perhaps it is others that go way over the top and do that which is unnecessary because they know no different and will not accept real world evidence.

Could be couldn't it
Old 09 August 2019, 12:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Christ.

If I saw someone doing that, it'd be the last time they ever worked on my boat. They should at least have the brain to have something in place to make sure that incredibly expensive gearbox doesn't smash into the floor.
Many many people say they don't work on their things because they get it done by the 'Professionals'.... One wonders of course if this is what you get.... Filmed and all
Old 09 August 2019, 12:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I love how Plums can remotely diagnose a cracked, perishing or splitting impeller blade from the other side of a leg,without inspecting it and knows that it's not necessary to replace the impeller after 6 years of standing.

I wish I had his Xray vision.

Plums, seriously go have a chat with yourself in a corner about this.

If one said impeller blade is cracked/splitting etc it will still pump water til it lets go, and then your motor is toast.

If you're inspecting it,at that age change it.

If you're not inspecting it after 6 years of standing then you're a bit of a silly.
Now when one says check your impeller...…. I wonder what that means...… Could it mean check it is pumping....

You carry on with the old Myth
Old 09 August 2019, 12:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Absolutely, and I'm sure the majority of readers soon work out who's giving useful advice and who talks gibberish, anyway, I'd best go and take some more pills

I am sure they do....

You posted anything useful lately
Old 09 August 2019, 12:47   #30

Quote:
What myth is that? The myth of preemptive maintenance?

To be honest I think the original premis of this post has value... particularly with reference to the 'old fuel' debate. Though even on that topic I'm not sure that the fact it runs in a bucket means that it will run well under load; personally I'd top it up with as much fresh as I could.

On the subject of preemptive maintenance, I would like to add my voice to the 'pro' side. The idea that you would just wait for something as crucial as an impeller to fail and not even check it is borderline irresponsible. And once you've got to the stage of checking it then for the relatively low cost of the part then you may as well replace it.

To be honest I find much of what the OP posts on rib.net to be inexplicable, inconsistent, and often wilfully contrarian. For someone with such a self-professed breadth and depth of knowledge on all types of motors, from remote control aircraft to ion drives and beyond, to have such a cavalier attitude to maintenance doesnt seem to me to quite ring true. But that is merely an opinion. He evidently takes great delight in proving people/manufacturers 'wrong' and exploding the 'myth' of duty lifecycles for engine parts; and if you share that passion the fill your boots. Just try not to stray too far from shore cos someone else will have to come and get you.

If you don't like what I post don't read it...…….. Others benefit I am sure and I just received some PM's confirming it.
Old 09 August 2019, 13:06   #31

So Belly how many impellers you personally changed in life so far. I recon I am up to about 30 and all were …………. Sort of good. I have a nice box full marked old impellers.

How many you done
Old 09 August 2019, 15:31   #32

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Old 09 August 2019, 15:41   #33

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Perhaps I am happy with my fleet and I do properly maintain. Perhaps it is others that go way over the top and do that which is unnecessary because they know no different and will not accept real world evidence.

Could be couldn't it
Its hardly properly maintained! By your own admission its neglected. After 30 years in the motor trade anything with a maintenance regime like yours is a buyers worst nightmare.

You claim to do your own repairs but aren't confident in your previous post it will be working when it goes back together, nuff said!

I think you will find 99% of folk will agree preventive maintenance is better than repair when broke maintenance
Old 09 August 2019, 15:48   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Because it is pumping water very well and changing it is unnecessary.
You can't tell because its pumping water well today whether the find are cracked or stiff and about to fail. You MIGHT be able to monitor water pressure over time and see a gradual reduction in performance - but if you are going buy and install new sensors you could easily just increase your maintenance schedule.

Quote:
Why would you do something that does not need doing why would you take the risk of messing something up when you pull it to pieces. Always a risk
Did you miss the point about seized bolts (etc) or intentionally ignore it? If I can change an impellor anyone can - the only bits people struggle with are getting gear linkages realigned (which in my experience is easier in practice than it sounds from reading the instructions) and seized bolts.

Quote:
There is theory and then their is facts and the evidence you see
you have no evidence about the condition of the elastomer. Elastomers age - that is a well known fact. I don't think many people will argue with your original premise that every year may be overkill for some engines (although as I actually understand how elastomers decay I'm sceptical that its hours of run time that are the problem)

Quote:
If you have 10 boats + to look after and 12 engines you tend to only do what is necessary
if you stopped posting drivel on the internet and intentionally having arguments you'd have more time to maintain them! Do you have so many because its hard selling them when nobody wants to touch an engine where the leg bolts have seized in place?

Quote:
Now when one says check your impeller...…. I wonder what that means...… Could it mean check it is pumping....
No - pretty much every failed impellor was pumping water ok right up until 30s before no water reached the head. Hopefully when that happens to you, you are at low speed and notice quickly. It is rather similar to the timing belt analogy Shiney Shoe used - very few of them fail just after the maintenance interval either.

Quote:
If you don't like what I post don't read it...……..
how can I tell before I read it? How can we expect more naive users to know your perspective is not necessarily consistent with everyone elses if we don't call out when your advice is not in line with everyone else. Here's a different view: "if you don't want feedback on what you post, don't put it on a discussion forum".
Quote:
Others benefit I am sure and I just received some PM's confirming it.
presumably you'll under-write either their towing costs or engine rebuild if they get a catastrophic failure at sea?
Old 09 August 2019, 16:05   #35

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Its hardly properly maintained! By your own admission its neglected. After 30 years in the motor trade anything with a maintenance regime like yours is a buyers worst nightmare.

You claim to do your own repairs but aren't confident in your previous post it will be working when it goes back together, nuff said!

I think you will find 99% of folk will agree preventive maintenance is better than repair when broke maintenance
easy there Ken, he's got a torque wrench now...……
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2019, 16:53   #36

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You can't tell because its pumping water well today whether the find are cracked or stiff and about to fail. You MIGHT be able to monitor water pressure over time and see a gradual reduction in performance - but if you are going buy and install new sensors you could easily just increase your maintenance schedule.

Did you miss the point about seized bolts (etc) or intentionally ignore it? If I can change an impellor anyone can - the only bits people struggle with are getting gear linkages realigned (which in my experience is easier in practice than it sounds from reading the instructions) and seized bolts.

you have no evidence about the condition of the elastomer. Elastomers age - that is a well known fact. I don't think many people will argue with your original premise that every year may be overkill for some engines (although as I actually understand how elastomers decay I'm sceptical that its hours of run time that are the problem)

if you stopped posting drivel on the internet and intentionally having arguments you'd have more time to maintain them! Do you have so many because its hard selling them when nobody wants to touch an engine where the leg bolts have seized in place?

No - pretty much every failed impellor was pumping water ok right up until 30s before no water reached the head. Hopefully when that happens to you, you are at low speed and notice quickly. It is rather similar to the timing belt analogy Shiney Shoe used - very few of them fail just after the maintenance interval either.

how can I tell before I read it? How can we expect more naive users to know your perspective is not necessarily consistent with everyone elses if we don't call out when your advice is not in line with everyone else. Here's a different view: "if you don't want feedback on what you post, don't put it on a discussion forum".
presumably you'll under-write either their towing costs or engine rebuild if they get a catastrophic failure at sea?

Although BP's gibberish musings are really beyond the pale, it still has excellent entertainment value .............

keep on stoking the fire Poly ......
Old 09 August 2019, 16:56   #37

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Average cost of a pump refurb kit around £40 it's not just about the impeller the pump body can be scored the bolts get corroded and so on, I mean £40 come on, now multiple boats if you can't maintain them you carnt afford them IMO
Old 09 August 2019, 21:19   #38

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Average cost of a pump refurb kit around £40 it's not just about the impeller the pump body can be scored the bolts get corroded and so on, I mean £40 come on, now multiple boats if you can't maintain them you carnt afford them IMO
With you there Jeff. I used to change impellers every year but switched to every two seasons. Allows you to check other things and let's face it is an essential bit of maintenance.

Having a tell-tale pi$$ing like a shire horse means nothing. That's like folk that visably check timing belts on cars, rather than biting the bullet and changing them
Old 09 August 2019, 21:41   #39

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
+1

Burn that in petrol in less than 2 hours.
Old 09 August 2019, 22:06   #40

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Impeller Duration.-

The impeller duration will depend entirely on the motor brand, some are manufactured with plain rubber, other with elastomers which have a much longer useful life. If wanting a long live the impeller, when out of summer season use, rotate the flywheel periodically at least once or twice a month, that way all the vanes will compress, expand and stop at a different position.

To understand, impeller liners are not oval, are eliptical, that means that at 12 o'clock position the upper side of the impeller will remain fully compressed and the opposite 6 o'clock side will remain fully expanded, that's why needs to be rotated periodically for impellers specially the rubber ones to prevent becoming hardened in the 12 o'clock position while sitting inactive for long time periods even years.

Motors running on sandy, silt, muddy water cond will account for a shorter impeller and liner duration.

Happy Boating