Old 15 March 2006, 08:53   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
Switching from a Suziki 40 to an Evinrude 30?

Hi,
I've currently got a Zodiac Futura MKII C 3.8m SIB with a Suzuki DT40 2-stroke manual start auto-lube outboard, it's of mid 80s vintage. The engine performs well and has been reliable, however I'm looking to upgrade to electric start for convenience and so that I can charge my battery (85Ah on-board to power chartplotter/sounder and VHF). I've seen a mid-90s Evinrude 30HP with electric start, in good nick and it looks like it wouldn't cost too much to upgrade if I p/x my Suzuki. Also it moves away from autolube which I'm led to believe can cause problems with clogging carb jets etc.

My question is, do you think it will make much difference to performance, particularly economy and top end speed? 40HP is the max rated for my futura.

Cheers,
Fraser
Old 18 March 2006, 17:41   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
Hi, thought I'd follow this up in case anybosy else is having similar thoughts.

I decided to go for the Evinrude and the first thing that I noticed was that it's so much smaller and lighter, it performs really well and doesn't seem to have shaved too much off the top end speed. Couldn't really test it fully today as I was in a Force 4-5, but was getting over 30mph out of it. The electric start is superb, really like it - was good to see the battery charging up during my outing today as well - very handy.