Old 23 August 2006, 21:11   #1

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Switching Engines

Hey quick newbie question: I've had a honda 115 on my RIB for only one season now, it has about 70 hrs on it but I kind of want to switch engines and I found an envinrude dealership real close by. Would it be really dumb of me to ask them if I could somehow trade in my Honda for an 115 E-tec and pay whatever the difference is and labor and stuff? I ask you guys first because I dont want to sound really stupid to the guy when i ask him heh

Thanks
Old 23 August 2006, 21:16   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
the engine you have is really quite heavy, swap out for an etec or opti and the biggest hp you can, for example the 135 opti is a great engine and would give you a real sparkle over the honda 115

before you say,......i have a 90 honda on my other boat and would go for the punch of a 2 stroke on a rib for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Hey quick newbie question: I've had a honda 115 on my RIB for only one season now, it has about 70 hrs on it but I kind of want to switch engines and I found an envinrude dealership real close by. Would it be really dumb of me to ask them if I could somehow trade in my Honda for an 115 E-tec and pay whatever the difference is and labor and stuff? I ask you guys first because I dont want to sound really stupid to the guy when i ask him heh

Thanks
Old 23 August 2006, 23:10   #3

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters

Thanks
Fairwinds in Marblehead? Great guys, very knowledgeable and useful in my experience, though pricey. Don't think it's a dumb question, though I expect you'll hear a "yes, it's possible" followed by a shockingly large number. Don't bother asking for a deal, he's not interested in competing on price. I heard him 'splain it to someone calling for a telephone quote on a new E-TEC. He's all about service.

I don't personally know anyone with experience with an E-TEC, but have mostly heard raves about them. Certainly a better power to weight ratio than that Honda lump! Is it even injected? Didn't we cover this when you were specing the boat?? I'd pick a new tech 2-stroke over any four stroke any day.

Hopefully I will soon have plenty of first hand experience with an E-TEC. Anxiously waiting to hear from BRP Corporate about a requested donation for the wife's disabled sailing team.... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

P.S. How was your trip to Greece?
Old 24 August 2006, 00:07   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Trade ins are always possible but you would prob get a much better deal selling your engine privately and then waving cash under the dealer's nose!!!
Old 24 August 2006, 01:55   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Trade ins are always possible but you would prob get a much better deal selling your engine privately and then waving cash under the dealer's nose!!!
True of most things I think. Money talks!!! Certainly in the car buying world the worst thing you can do is turn up with a trade in and looking for finance....
Old 26 August 2006, 00:24   #6

woops forgot to subscribe to the post but thanks for the replies. I think im gonna send him an email.
Old 26 August 2006, 12:55   #7

DC didnt see "P.S. How was your trip to Greece?"
It was amazing

I went on 3 different RIBs, all very nice. First one was a 6m something(not to important) with a 150 Opti on the back. We took that from one Island ot another to meet up with a 9m Cobra and an 11m Solemar. The Solemar looked amazing so I obviuosly had to jump on it, it had a cabin, 2 diesel engines (not sure the HP), but it was real nice. Next the 9m Cobra, another very nice boat, but not as nice as the Solemar hah. The whole time I wanted to sell my Ribcraft 585 and get a 11m RIB but that obviuosly wasnt going to happen.

THe wierd thing was on the 6m RIB in not even 1ft chop, kind of windy, we were getting soaked. I was suprised. But other than that it was great