Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Suzuki's new gauges

The new gauges from Suzuki giving engine management information do not seem a patch on the Smartcraft type system but surely there will be someone using the data provided to generate similar monitoring as Navman have done with their 6600 Trackfish as I was told by a service engineer there is every conceivable level and measurement available to be read by their laptop during a service.

The link where I saw the details:
http://www.hotribs.com/03press/164-suzuki/commander.asp

I also read a thread mentioning Rib International article on these gauges.
Old 11 December 2004, 17:44   #2

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Gauges

The Suzi gauges are the same as the Evinrude gauges (supplied on ETEC and later DIs) and give a digital display on "essential" EMM information.

The EMM has the ability to produce detailed information on the engine whilst the gauge sticks with the essentials.

I think, and probably agree, that the manufacturers have gone as far as supplying the end user with adequate info to operate safely. It would indeed be very easy to present full mangement systems but the consequence would be less pleasure of boating and more sea borne computer nerds with the resulting paranoia. After all , our cars have EMM systems but no diagnostics at all.

We often supply our commercial customers with a PDA fitted with diagnostics. This only to serve the e-mailing of data direct to engineers if ever a problem. This saves time waiting for an engineer to attend but is not intended for the end user to undertake unqualified investigation of the engine on a daily basis.

Alas there is the fine balance between need to know and want to know.

Cheers
John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 20 December 2004, 15:13   #3

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Any idea what these things will be retailing in at? - if it's a sensible price, I would seriously consider replacing my existing guages, not so much for the gadget side (well a little ) but to see a bit more of what's going on rather than wait for a red light to come on when it's too late.

-Alex
Old 20 December 2004, 18:16   #4

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
I spoke to the guy at MGA Watersport (possibly Suzuki's biggest dealer) told me they would be something like £400 the set ! I suppose it depends on the value put on your electronics as to whether or not this represents a wise investment.

I have opted for the fuel information on the Trackfish 6600 so I will know the consumption in litres per mile rather than doing the maths in my head with the figure (litres/minute) on the Suzuki gauges.

Navman tell me they have no plans to utilise the telemetry available on the Suzukis in the same way as the Smartcraft system.

I shall look out for these gauges at the LBS.