Old 21 January 2007, 21:58   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Suzuki,Verado,ETEC,OPTI 150 HP

I am wondering if anyone has knowledge on other forums on any of the following engines compared with each other. (I know about the 250s in Rib Intl, I just want the 150)
Suzuki 150 4 Stroke
Verado Merc/Mar 150 4 Stroke
Mercury OPTImax 150 2 Stroke
ETEC 150 Stroke.

Not everyone is interested in the big guys 225 etc.
I am most especially interested in the ETEC vs the OPTI to evaluate recent improvements in 2 Stroke Technology.
Old 21 January 2007, 22:03   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
You'll probably find the Optimax to be cheapest and the Suzuki most expensive (as you didn't list the Yam). Verado 150 was quite competitively priced a couple of months ago (about 10% more than the Opti, at the time) - I think people are reluctant to go for these as they have a reputation for being thirsty.
Old 21 January 2007, 22:41   #3

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
You'll probably find the Optimax to be cheapest and the Suzuki most expensive (as you didn't list the Yam). Verado 150 was quite competitively priced a couple of months ago (about 10% more than the Opti, at the time) - I think people are reluctant to go for these as they have a reputation for being thirsty.
Its true they are thirsty but only in the very upper rpm's. Otherwise they are the most amazing piece of engineering. No question for me, the Verado everytime, and thats after running an Opti for 200 hours
Old 21 January 2007, 22:57   #4

Town: Fareham
Why exclude the Honda 150 and the Yam?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 07:38   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
Its true they are thirsty but only in the very upper rpm's. Otherwise they are the most amazing piece of engineering. No question for me, the Verado everytime, and thats after running an Opti for 200 hours
I agree, my Verado's are running at a l/mile per engine when cruising at 36 knots when flat out then the economy goes way out the window but that is to be expected. If ever I was ordering a new rib again I would choose Verado, very impressed with mine.
Old 22 January 2007, 07:51   #6

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Big Blue
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 140
I agree, why exclude the Honda 150?

Andrew
Old 22 January 2007, 08:42   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
I agree, my Verado's are running at a l/mile per engine when cruising at 36 knots when flat out then the economy goes way out the window but that is to be expected. If ever I was ordering a new rib again I would choose Verado, very impressed with mine.
Blimey my 115hp Johnson probably uses more than that at 36kt!!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 09:55   #8

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Cox View Post
I agree, why exclude the Honda 150?

Andrew
Aren't they heavy?
Old 22 January 2007, 11:56   #9

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
Aren't they heavy?
Why is everyone so obsessed with the weight of their outboard for. Yes if one was 100kg heavier that the other but we're only talking a max of 20kg's between engines.

You don't tell your crew that because they weigh more than a certain amount they can't come, do you?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 12:02   #10

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
You don't tell your crew that because they weigh more than a certain amount they can't come, do you?
No, but I make sure they sit in the right place though.
Old 22 January 2007, 12:09   #11

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yes!

I started a thread on this subject (150s) recently after spending some time at the Toronto boat show. It was the Merc dealer that pointed out that all of the manufacturers produce comparable product but each brand has it's strenghts. My initial impression? I'm more confused than ever! If I do repower, my ultimate decision might be determined by something like the fact that my local dealer is a Merc shop. Oh, that and of course the all important issue of colour... my boat is "grey on grey" so a shiney black Opti or Verado would look nice!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 15:21   #12

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
honda 150 = 217KG
Yam 150 = 211KG
Etec is about 195 or so
Verado about 230/240

It isn't a difference that you would notice I imagine
Old 22 January 2007, 15:44   #13

Ok So include the Honda and the Yamaha, in fact include the yam 150 2 stroke if someone has the figs against teh Opti and ETEC.

My investigations so far have pointed out scarce Service centres form Honda and less discounts, and a few repeating cases of the Head (block) Splitting (Oz Forum that one).
Yep the Yam 150 4 stroke could well be a Benchmark, no arguments there.

I love the iea of Drive by wire controls of the verado but I cannot help but feel that I would be helpless at sea trying to fault fix one of these, I have no idea of qualities of the 150 Verado, they covered teh engine very well in RIB INTL MAG but failed to question the highly irregular fuel consumption of the verado and the SUzuki consumption oddity on the frugal end proved to be wrong.

If you have the figs, lets have them. I will attempt to do a spread sheet (unless we have a volunteer)
lets have the figures anyone, It woudl be great to get the following:
Speed at Revs 1000-5000 +, Fuel at this speed and Plane speed and type of rib.
Old 22 January 2007, 15:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Hi Nauti Boy, is this each or for the two? What is the top speed by the way, I am sorry, I didnt trawl through all the pages on two by twice my engine!!!!!!

I am sure there must be a beautiful whine from the twin mounting of both Verados at full scream......

Mind you, having seen the write up on the verado, it looked like you were paying much more for not a lot, I am sure that must be wrong.
They would have to be awesome (if they continue to work). Not putting the "evil eye" on your rig but do you not think the write up was tme, now knowing the engines.
Old 22 January 2007, 16:02   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Hi Nauti Boy, is this each or for the two? What is the top speed by the way, I am sorry, I didnt trawl through all the pages on two by twice my engine!!!!!!

I am sure there must be a beautiful whine from the twin mounting of both Verados at full scream......

Mind you, having seen the write up on the verado, it looked like you were paying much more for not a lot, I am sure that must be wrong.
They would have to be awesome (if they continue to work). Not putting the "evil eye" on your rig but do you not think the write up was tme, now knowing the engines.
That was based on per engine so 1l/mile each engine at 36 knots, as for top speed do not know yet, hopefully will get a day when the wind drops sufficiently for me to try it out, plus I have about 1/4 of a tank remaining in each tank so a good time to try. Will let you know in due course. Sorry excuse my ignorance but what does "tme" mean?
Old 22 January 2007, 16:21   #16

Excuse me please Nauti Boy, tme should read true, It was both an over sight and typo, sorry. Easily known that I do not type for a living, I am very fast tho (thats from where the problem has its origin).

What I actually meant was that within that report, the Supercharged Verado was not as fast accelerating as an ETEC (yes I know its lighter but get over it you all, I didnt flog it as a solution), had not the same top end as the Yamaha, was nearly .75 litre less capacity than the Suzuki and yet guzzled so much juice 78 ltrs per hour if I recall.
I dont know how it can guzzle more juice if it has less displacement and does not rev higher. I am confused. I would have thought that capacity (volume) times revs would acount for higher consumption.

What is scavanging? whilst I am at it?

In any event, outside the ease of using control (which it said is a problem if you push up against throttle ), the Verado scored very poorly in the report.
Did I miss something, I thought the verado would have been brillo! (even if I do not like mercury)
Old 22 January 2007, 16:37   #17
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Excuse me please Nauti Boy, tme should read true, It was both an over sight and typo, sorry. Easily known that I do not type for a living, I am very fast tho (thats from where the problem has its origin).

What I actually meant was that within that report, the Supercharged Verado was not as fast accelerating as an ETEC (yes I know its lighter but get over it you all, I didnt flog it as a solution), had not the same top end as the Yamaha, was nearly .75 litre less capacity than the Suzuki and yet guzzled so much juice 78 ltrs per hour if I recall.
I dont know how it can guzzle more juice if it has less displacement and does not rev higher. I am confused. I would have thought that capacity (volume) times revs would acount for higher consumption.

What is scavanging? whilst I am at it?

In any event, outside the ease of using control (which it said is a problem if you push up against throttle ), the Verado scored very poorly in the report.
Did I miss something, I thought the verado would have been brillo! (even if I do not like mercury)
To be honest and everyone who has been on my rib has been amazed by the response of the 275 Verado's, a mate of mine has a 200 Etec on his 6.5m and he thought his accelerated quickly but was quite taken back by the response from my 275's. I have not been on a single installation rib with 1 x 275, but the twin set up I have will throw you back in your jockey, no matter how hard you try to prevent it. I will work out some figures, based on standing start acceleration, fuel economy at certain revs with speed achieved at those revs if that is of use to you.

Ref the throttles yep they can be quite a hazard if you don't watch what your passengers are doing, if I am stationary for any length of time I will switch off the engines, in case someone leans on the throttles, other than that I tend to drive always one hand on the throttles one on the wheel so tend to have them covered to prevent anyone else touching them. But once you are aware of their "downsides" you tend to make allowance for that situation. That set aside they are a fantastic throttle box, very very smooth, effortless.
Old 22 January 2007, 16:54   #18

I am taking up "Duckin and Diving" for a living.

Thars gold in them thar hills boy, if you can put on two 275 Verados.

I can imagine a bikini clad babe who backed her tooche up against said pair of throttles, slamming her onto your person, and uninvited......
Yes I will have a pair of em too!

Just to be able to floor it and hold on!!! Screeaming.....

Bring it on!, I said Bring it oooooon! VErado, your Bado!
Old 22 January 2007, 17:18   #19

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Quote:

I can imagine a bikini clad babe who backed her tooche up against said pair of throttles, slamming her onto your person, and uninvited......
Yes I will have a pair of em too!

Just to be able to floor it and hold on!!! Screeaming.....

Bring it on!, I said Bring it oooooon! VErado, your Bado!
Can someone shut this tool up please?
Old 22 January 2007, 17:47   #20

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiAndNice View Post
Can someone shut this tool up please?
Think the throttle's stuck