Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 January 2007, 08:09   #11
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,345
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
You don't tell your crew that because they weigh more than a certain amount they can't come, do you?
Yes!

I started a thread on this subject (150s) recently after spending some time at the Toronto boat show. It was the Merc dealer that pointed out that all of the manufacturers produce comparable product but each brand has it's strenghts. My initial impression? I'm more confused than ever! If I do repower, my ultimate decision might be determined by something like the fact that my local dealer is a Merc shop. Oh, that and of course the all important issue of colour... my boat is "grey on grey" so a shiney black Opti or Verado would look nice!
__________________

__________________
Pump it up and RIDE!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 11:21   #12
Member
 
Millermob's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Challenger 2
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 310
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
honda 150 = 217KG
Yam 150 = 211KG
Etec is about 195 or so
Verado about 230/240

It isn't a difference that you would notice I imagine
__________________

__________________
Genuine products, low prices - www.HelpingU2save.co.uk
Millermob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 11:44   #13
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 525
Ok So include the Honda and the Yamaha, in fact include the yam 150 2 stroke if someone has the figs against teh Opti and ETEC.

My investigations so far have pointed out scarce Service centres form Honda and less discounts, and a few repeating cases of the Head (block) Splitting (Oz Forum that one).
Yep the Yam 150 4 stroke could well be a Benchmark, no arguments there.

I love the iea of Drive by wire controls of the verado but I cannot help but feel that I would be helpless at sea trying to fault fix one of these, I have no idea of qualities of the 150 Verado, they covered teh engine very well in RIB INTL MAG but failed to question the highly irregular fuel consumption of the verado and the SUzuki consumption oddity on the frugal end proved to be wrong.

If you have the figs, lets have them. I will attempt to do a spread sheet (unless we have a volunteer)
lets have the figures anyone, It woudl be great to get the following:
Speed at Revs 1000-5000 +, Fuel at this speed and Plane speed and type of rib.
__________________
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 11:50   #14
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
I agree, my Verado's are running at a l/mile per engine when cruising at 36 knots when flat out then the economy goes way out the window but that is to be expected. If ever I was ordering a new rib again I would choose Verado, very impressed with mine.
Hi Nauti Boy, is this each or for the two? What is the top speed by the way, I am sorry, I didnt trawl through all the pages on two by twice my engine!!!!!!

I am sure there must be a beautiful whine from the twin mounting of both Verados at full scream......

Mind you, having seen the write up on the verado, it looked like you were paying much more for not a lot, I am sure that must be wrong.
They would have to be awesome (if they continue to work). Not putting the "evil eye" on your rig but do you not think the write up was tme, now knowing the engines.
__________________
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 12:02   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Nauti Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Hi Nauti Boy, is this each or for the two? What is the top speed by the way, I am sorry, I didnt trawl through all the pages on two by twice my engine!!!!!!

I am sure there must be a beautiful whine from the twin mounting of both Verados at full scream......

Mind you, having seen the write up on the verado, it looked like you were paying much more for not a lot, I am sure that must be wrong.
They would have to be awesome (if they continue to work). Not putting the "evil eye" on your rig but do you not think the write up was tme, now knowing the engines.
That was based on per engine so 1l/mile each engine at 36 knots, as for top speed do not know yet, hopefully will get a day when the wind drops sufficiently for me to try it out, plus I have about 1/4 of a tank remaining in each tank so a good time to try. Will let you know in due course. Sorry excuse my ignorance but what does "tme" mean?
__________________
richard@kidzrides.co.uk
Mobile: 07885 487777
Nauti Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 12:21   #16
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 525
Excuse me please Nauti Boy, tme should read true, It was both an over sight and typo, sorry. Easily known that I do not type for a living, I am very fast tho (thats from where the problem has its origin).

What I actually meant was that within that report, the Supercharged Verado was not as fast accelerating as an ETEC (yes I know its lighter but get over it you all, I didnt flog it as a solution), had not the same top end as the Yamaha, was nearly .75 litre less capacity than the Suzuki and yet guzzled so much juice 78 ltrs per hour if I recall.
I dont know how it can guzzle more juice if it has less displacement and does not rev higher. I am confused. I would have thought that capacity (volume) times revs would acount for higher consumption.

What is scavanging? whilst I am at it?

In any event, outside the ease of using control (which it said is a problem if you push up against throttle ), the Verado scored very poorly in the report.
Did I miss something, I thought the verado would have been brillo! (even if I do not like mercury)
__________________
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 12:37   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Nauti Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Excuse me please Nauti Boy, tme should read true, It was both an over sight and typo, sorry. Easily known that I do not type for a living, I am very fast tho (thats from where the problem has its origin).

What I actually meant was that within that report, the Supercharged Verado was not as fast accelerating as an ETEC (yes I know its lighter but get over it you all, I didnt flog it as a solution), had not the same top end as the Yamaha, was nearly .75 litre less capacity than the Suzuki and yet guzzled so much juice 78 ltrs per hour if I recall.
I dont know how it can guzzle more juice if it has less displacement and does not rev higher. I am confused. I would have thought that capacity (volume) times revs would acount for higher consumption.

What is scavanging? whilst I am at it?

In any event, outside the ease of using control (which it said is a problem if you push up against throttle ), the Verado scored very poorly in the report.
Did I miss something, I thought the verado would have been brillo! (even if I do not like mercury)
To be honest and everyone who has been on my rib has been amazed by the response of the 275 Verado's, a mate of mine has a 200 Etec on his 6.5m and he thought his accelerated quickly but was quite taken back by the response from my 275's. I have not been on a single installation rib with 1 x 275, but the twin set up I have will throw you back in your jockey, no matter how hard you try to prevent it. I will work out some figures, based on standing start acceleration, fuel economy at certain revs with speed achieved at those revs if that is of use to you.

Ref the throttles yep they can be quite a hazard if you don't watch what your passengers are doing, if I am stationary for any length of time I will switch off the engines, in case someone leans on the throttles, other than that I tend to drive always one hand on the throttles one on the wheel so tend to have them covered to prevent anyone else touching them. But once you are aware of their "downsides" you tend to make allowance for that situation. That set aside they are a fantastic throttle box, very very smooth, effortless.
__________________
richard@kidzrides.co.uk
Mobile: 07885 487777
Nauti Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 12:54   #18
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 525
I am taking up "Duckin and Diving" for a living.

Thars gold in them thar hills boy, if you can put on two 275 Verados.

I can imagine a bikini clad babe who backed her tooche up against said pair of throttles, slamming her onto your person, and uninvited......
Yes I will have a pair of em too!

Just to be able to floor it and hold on!!! Screeaming.....

Bring it on!, I said Bring it oooooon! VErado, your Bado!
__________________
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 13:18   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post

I can imagine a bikini clad babe who backed her tooche up against said pair of throttles, slamming her onto your person, and uninvited......
Yes I will have a pair of em too!

Just to be able to floor it and hold on!!! Screeaming.....

Bring it on!, I said Bring it oooooon! VErado, your Bado!
Can someone shut this tool up please?
__________________
Girls like RIBs too!
NautiAndNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 13:47   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiAndNice View Post
Can someone shut this tool up please?
Think the throttle's stuck
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.