Old 20 January 2005, 03:45   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Suzuki trim gauge

Does anyone know if the standard engine wiring harness for the DF90 includes trim gauge wires??
Looking to fit a trim gauge ,but the Suzuki kit sells for around $200. (gauge,sender and wiring) Seems a bit steep!
Any generic kits that would do the same job??
cheers dal
Old 27 January 2005, 18:56   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Hi Limeydal

Yep I'm pretty sure the DF90 has trim gauge wires already installed. I've got the Suzzy 90 with gauge already fitted. I also recently tidied up the wiring in my console and there's loads of spare wires, so I'm pretty sure that the standard wiring loom is ready for all possible gauges in the range.

How are you getting on with your 90? Any problems. I've only had a couple of months use out of mine so far, but it seems pretty good.

Cheers

Keith
Old 28 January 2005, 02:45   #3

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Keith,
Very impressed so far and amazed how quiet it is!
Only problem I have encountered is the engine stalls if I back off the throttle too quickly. Not sure if thats just me being heavy handed or if its in need of slight adjustment. Does your seem Ok in that respect?
Originaly ran a 17 pitch prop on it which gave a great "hole shot" but just changed to a 19 pitch which seems better overall.
I have seen lots of reasonable trim gauges for about $25.00 but not sure if I can find a compatible sender unit. The Suzuki kit is a little dearer but may have to go with it.
Do you happen to have a photo of the engine showing where the sender is fitted?? trying to get info over here but they dont seem that popular,
cheers Dal
Old 29 January 2005, 09:41   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Hi Dal

I've never had any problem with the engine stalling. I really don't think this should happen with a fuel injected engine. Could be some sort of minor adjustment is needed. They sometimes have to be adjusted to account for use at different altitudes (where the air is thinner say on a mountainlake). I agree with how quiet it is, even at full chat.

I may well fiddle with prop pitches as well. I often run with little load and it revs to over 6000 which ain't really that good. My boat is a little stern heavy so I do need the low down grunt to get out of the hole.

As far as trim gauges go... well I can't have a look right now as the boat is some 30 miles away, and I don't have any close up photos. However, if it is anything like my parents Honda 50, there is a little plastic peg attached to a sender/rheostat located on the back of the leg somewhere close to the hinge point. This peg rests up against the transom mounting plate when the engine is down. The angle of the peg varies as the leg gets closer or further from the transom. Hope this makes sense. In due course I am going to buy the proper Suzzy workshop manual... some £100+. Ouch. But was worth every penny for the Honda manual as it gives all the info about where the internal anodes are and how to adjust everything properly when I do a home service.

Cheers

Keith