Old 01 October 2008, 12:22   #1

Town: Fordingbridge
Boat name: Ellen
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF25
Suzuki "manual" trim?

Hi all, first post here, and a question as I can't find an answer on here or t'interweb as a whole!
I have a Suzuki DF25 hp (3 cyl model) on a Zodiac Pro 420. the motor has no power tilt/trim. The question is, can I use the hydraulic tilt lock to set the trim angle depending on the load/waves etc, or did I just ought to leave locked down in the maximum down position? The reason I ask is that although the boat goes fine solo, or with a passenger sat on the bow locker, with 2 adults on the 2 man jockey seat, it just sticks its nose in the air and ploughs through the water at about 3 knots at WOT... So if I wanted 2 on the seat, could I lock the trim in a little (having first moved the end-stop pin to allow this), and when solo would the hydraulic lock safely hold the trim out a little, off the end stop.
hope you understand what I mean - I've only had the boat a couple of weeks!!

The only other thing I can think of is to move the jockey console forward, although this would involve a lot of work.
Old 01 October 2008, 15:51   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I always thought you should run against the stop pin. Move the pin, let the motor down, and go. Don't know now if that was suggested, or just something I did.

My motor had a second "stop" for running in shallow water; other than that, I locked it in the up position when launching/recovering, or sitting overnight on a dock. When running normally, it was full down against the stop pin.

jky