Old 09 May 2018, 12:06   #1

Town: Faget Abbatial
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: oars
Suzuki DT9.9 upgrade to 16hp?

Hi, I have an old dt9.9. When I purchased it, I was told it just needed the pilot and main jets changing to get 16hp out of it. I have looked at the engine schematics and there is no difference between a 9.9 and a 16 on the carb or exhaust (except the jets) But there are different part numbers on the crank case and piston.

Has anyone got any idea if it might be as simple a job as changing the jets? Sounds too good to be true.

Thanks
Al
Old 18 May 2018, 00:28   #2

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp

It's most likely a full carb swap, but it could be just the jets, if so you will need to adjust the new idle mixture after fitting the new jets (YouTube carburettor mixture) I'm not sure on your model if It can be derestricted, I think it can, but I can't remember for sure I've derestricted many many outboards in the past, the last suzi I done was a 4-6hp I think, and that was jets if I recall rightly, before you start make sure both models in question have the same bore/cc then check part numbers for the jets and carbs, if the carbs have the same part number then you will find the jets are different sizes, if not it's a 15 carb you need it could even just be a restrictor plate between the carb and block if your lucky check that first!, it could be a simple stopper on the carb full open position to stop it opening fully. Also check that the reed valves, exhaust tube and or restrictor (if it has one) are the same part numbers if not they will need changing as well to get the full 15 back.
But this all cost money and on these old motors, you will break parts, thread and snap bolts and will need new gaskets, my advise is if you think you need a 10hp just buy a 20hp anyway! Very little in weigh if 2 stroke and you don't have to use the whole 20hp power! Better to run a 20hp half power that a 10hp full all day! Derestricting engines is often not worth it unless it's a real minter, but such activity will gain you valuable outboard engineering knowledge that's handy in the future
Old 18 May 2018, 14:18   #3

Town: Faget Abbatial
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: oars
Thanks

Thanks Lee, great answer. I received the jets today so it is time to start investigating about a block plate or physical block on the throttle. When I compared part numbers no other of the exhaust or carb elements had different part numbers than the jets. Fingers crossed and thanks again. Al
Old 18 May 2018, 16:12   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>But there are different part numbers on the crank case and piston.

Might that be quite significant?
Old 18 May 2018, 20:14   #5

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp

It could be the same crabs and only different jets, you might get lucky, if the engine bogs down with the new jets at midway and wide open throttle then they are to big for the carb intake diameter. Try to google pics of your carb and the 15 to see if they have the same diameter intake. If piston numbers are different that may suggest bigger bore on the 15 if so your 9.9 is already running full fuel and air cc

Tags
suzuki